64 Caliente Convertible purchase advice

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Jonpaul65

64 Caliente Convertible purchase advice

Post by Jonpaul65 »

Looking to join the comet family. Its been 20+ years since I had a classic. (65 and 69 Mustangs). Always wanted a convertible 64 comet or falcon. Came across this 64 Comet Caliente Convertible online about 10miles away from me in California. Does not run but all parts are supposedly there except for seats. Am I going in over my head? Any tips or things to look for? Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot_20210413-000512_OfferUp.jpg
Screenshot_20210413-000512_OfferUp.jpg (108.79 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Screenshot_20210413-000325_OfferUp.jpg
Screenshot_20210413-000325_OfferUp.jpg (218.78 KiB) Viewed 1129 times

Groover

Re: 64 Caliente Convertible purchase advice

Post by Groover »

Hard to tell whether you're in over your head without knowing how tall you are ;). I would say the words "Project Car" should have been underlined in the ad. Tough to offer anything from one photo, but judging the book by its cover, I'd be particularly concerned about structural rust, torque boxes, frame rails, inner rockers, cowl, top bows, etc. If it's solid and all the parts are there, it can be done... depending on how much of a project you are looking for. And of course, price determines everything. If you pay $1,000 and bail, you could probably part it for that much (especially if the rear quarters are usable). JMO
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Have you looked at it?
If the trim hasn't been properly bagged and marked U are in for a journey!
And, if they arent properly sorted probably not all there.
The trim on a 64 Caliente is probably as prolific as any car on thd road!
What is your skill set and time frame for completion?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jonpaul65

Post by Jonpaul65 »

Thank you for the quick replies. Great info! I've uploaded the other 2 pics of the car. @Sassy, I'm going to check it out later today in person. From the 2nd pic, looks like random parts inside, so I imagine no baggies or labels, which leads to probably some missing parts including the seats which they mentioned in the post. As for my skill set, I can tackle any of the mechanical aspects, have never attempted any bodywork or fabrication. Time frame is open, really would be a project for my father and I to work on. It's been 20+ years, we did a 65 mustang and 69 Mach 1 in my HS and College years. Now I'm 42 with a little girl and Dad needs to do guy stuff in the Garage sometimes. (of course teaching her along the way)

@Groover, 5'10... lol I agree, project car should be added to the ad. I'm with you on the structural rust, if bad, I'm walking. It's located here in Southern California so my hope is rust will not be an issue. Thank you for the price idea. I was already thinking of that scenario, what if its too much, can't find seats, etc. My thought would be to try and get the engine going, take stock of what I have in parts and make a decision to go for it or bail and recoup my money back (Having fun getting to work on it in the meantime). Being a convertible, I'm sure there is someone here in California that thinks they can do it. My original plan was to keep saving up for a driver, but the 2K and satisfaction of having one now is tempting.
Attachments
Comet 3.jpg
Comet 3.jpg (138.57 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Comet 2.jpg
Comet 2.jpg (134.02 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Most of the rust is repairable if you have at least a basic skill set, look through Goover's thread or mine even and decide if you can handle it or have the tools to attempt such an undertaking, I am glad I bought a cheap plasma cutter at least part way through my project made cutting rusty panels out a ton easier :P but then agin I love fixing old broken stuff and making it better than new in some cases Makes a guy have a certain amount of pride and satisfaction when done 8)
Keep us posted, no matter what you decide we would love to have you as part of the Comet family.
See Ya, Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Certainly worth tackling if you take your time, have the resources to do so. Did you pick it up?
I would be concerned with engine/tranny rebuild costs and parts availability. Being in Cali., this might not pose a problem but would certainly in many places around the U.S. Check on this if keeping it stock is your goal.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jonpaul65

Post by Jonpaul65 »

Thanks Mike and Joe! Great advice from the page and was able to connect with a Comet owner via a Facebook group. We used Facebook messenger to look at the car in person. Turned out the car was more of a parts car and I made an offer of $1200. Did'nt go home with the car but really was a great learning experience. I'm planning on saving a little more and purchasing a driver. I'll continue to follow the post to learn all I can.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jonpaul65 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:40 pm
Thanks Mike and Joe! Great advice from the page and was able to connect with a Comet owner via a Facebook group. We used Facebook messenger to look at the car in person. Turned out the car was more of a parts car and I made an offer of $1200. Did'nt go home with the car but really was a great learning experience. I'm planning on saving a little more and purchasing a driver. I'll continue to follow the post to learn all I can.
I personly think you made the best choice,,,save up some cash and buy better....jmo...pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jonpaul65 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:40 pm
Turned out the car was more of a parts car and I made an offer of $1200. Did'nt go home with the car but really was a great learning experience. I'm planning on saving a little more and purchasing a driver. I'll continue to follow the post to learn all I can.
You offered a good price for a parts car. Take your time, keep your eyes wide open :wink:
Lots of better deals in Cali.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi