Let everyone know a little about yourself
lavron
Site Admin

Re: New Comet owner here - 64 Wagon

Post by lavron »

bs71challenger wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:54 pm
Hi all!
I'm a new Comet owner, a 1964 Model 404 wagon. I've been reading the forums and decided to join. I'm a Mopar guy, but have owned 4 fox bodies, and a 73 Mustang convertible in the past. My wagon is a 289 4bbl, C4, Wilwood disc brakes. It came with most of the parts to convert it to a 4 speed, including a toploader trans that the previous owner had in his old 64 Comet wagon that he bought brand new. Lots of useful info here, looking forward to participating.
Brian
I guess we won’t hold the Mopar stuff against you now that you came over to the Comet side :lol: just don’t be offended if Pops tells you to park that junk by the dumpster :lol:
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

pop IS GLAD HE'S HERE,,,he will fit right in with KEVIN,,,EACH ARE mopar guys and both own a comet,,,,as far as dumpster parkung,,,kevin will have company.......so welcome new comet owner,,,,a wagon with a 4spd sounds mighty spiffy to me,,,,,good luck !!! pop :D :D
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:14 pm
pop IS GLAD HE'S HERE,,,he will fit right in with KEVIN,,,EACH ARE mopar guys and both own a comet,,,,as far as dumpster parkung,,,kevin will have company.......so welcome new comet owner,,,,a wagon with a 4spd sounds mighty spiffy to me,,,,,good luck !!! pop :D :D
Agree totally Popson all counts here and we have not offended Kevin too bad yet I don’t think. He is right up there in my book, an inspiration even on thinking a classic should be driven. You all know that is big in my book :lol: Aunt Lou is a traveling machine for sure 8) all of us here have daily driven our Comets,or similar in our lives if you are old enough, never thought a thing about jumping in the Comet to go to work drive several hours to the city and back, it was just what we did and what I intend to do again but with a much nicer behaving car than I ever had before plus my one modern convience ,A/C ( the one thing my wife requested so naturally I am more than happy to comply :lol: , I will enjoy it too, just don’t like the expense and cluttering my nice clean engine bay :lol:
I guess my Comet is more mid ‘90s than ‘60s but maybe you guys will give me some slack there and understand the reasoning behind the updates had more to do with having parts available if needed than anything else, I am hoping I am doing my future self a lot of frustration if I need to change a starter,etc. out in the middle of nowhere I can just go to any parts store and get a replacement right then and not wait for them to have to order in a replace ment and be stuck at least a day. There are few rare parts left on the Comet like the water pump, but just can keep that checked and order in a replacement before I would need one, I haven’t had many water pump failures ever and all is new right now on there. One thing I did is use that GM ICM because they are so common but also prone to failure, as I have replaced one already and never even been on the road, it has a $60 DUI Module now instead of a $14 Stndard so hopefully it will last, I have spares I can carry in the car and made it fairly easy accessible.because I know how those things are :lol: :lol: Duraspark models are not so ready available plus you have several to choose from, I wanted to keep it stupid simple :roll: I guess when a part is prone to fail,parts stores tend to keep them in stock :lol: :lol: there are quite a few aftermarket 4 pin models out there that add other features like adjustable rev limiters and the like but thought on my car it wasn’t something I needed, theDUI module did change my timing when I installed it and I was able to pull the timing back a little and the car starts easier now, so I am happy with what I have on there for now even if it is a dark side part :lol: I know I was never supposed to mention this again but some of the new folks may get some benefit. The only two major non-Ford components are the front brake calipers and the ICM ,both are mid 70s GM, like what would come on a Comaro or Monte Carlo, front brakes pretty much determined by the M2 spindles and what adapter brackets were available(read cheap there :lol: ) of course I don’t know what front hubs and rotors are but they are drilled with the stndard Ford 5 bolt lug pattern, they may be Granada rotors with a different wheel bearing to fitM2 spindles?, not an issue there are a lot of rotors out there for M2 conversion s
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058