Performance

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Metco

Performance

Post by Metco »

: :) hello everyone, I am new here. Looking for answers for my comet I found this forum and I had to join as I am the proud owner of a 1963 Mercury comet SS22 convertible.
A beauty perfectly restored few years ago in original red color.
The reason I was looking into the exchanges on this forum is the lack of power on my car. The engine is the original 6 L . 170cu. Runs great on flat but any hill is a big obstacle.
So my questions to the experts are:
1-can i do something to solve the power problem without changing the engine ?
2- is the SS22 frame ready for a V8? ( the Wikipedia page on 63 comet is saying yes but not really sure.)
3- any other idea?
Thanks everyone
Metcom

SASSY

Re: Performance

Post by SASSY »

Welcome! Dont know anything about those 170s but pretty sure the chassis is the same. Almost everything is different 6 to V8. Steering, brakes, rearend and wheels.
If you fo decide to upgrade power please upgrade steering and brakes as well!
You have a pretty car there but if it cant get out of its own way wheres the fun in that?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D I'm like Fred and can't tell you a lot about the 6 other than what he said. The expert on your car is bmmaurer (forum name) who has one that sounds like its just like yours, but with a V8. I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on ! :D
Johno

power band

Post by power band »

Welcome! The early Comet is the last of the iconic swept wing design of the MEL 'jet age' style cues. With airplane inspired cockpit to the subtle tailfins and fender 'intake' gills.

Sounds like you enjoy the cars originality. Modifying the original powertrain , suspension and brakes can be done to your expectations/needs depending on your resources . '63 was first year Ford put a V8 in a Comet but has many differences as mentioned.

Making the existing 170 compatible with your driving needs may not be too difficult, reaching higher expectations will require time, effort and money. Often the original six only needs a good tuning and a few new parts to at least reach it's original performance level.

Increasing the severely economy biased six's performance can easily be achieved if you are willing to make a few simple 'upgrades'. The two speed Foromatic limits ultimate performance but shouldn't limit the cruise-speed hill-climb ability.

Upgrades can be as simple as freshened or alternate Carb and increased timing advance and curve mangement for better cruise and hill climb.

Getting into it deeper - a cylinder head feshening and milling can help performance considerably with a slightly or radical compression ratio increase.

Taken further there is a whole family of small six performance enthusiasts that can give unending advice ( :roll: ) on increasing the 170's performance:
https://fordsix.com/

I have 19'61, 63 and '74 Ford small block six cars and all three are capable of Hi-Speed interstate and back road hill carving performance.... .

have fun

'63 Wagon
Ford 170, Precision Machine D7 Cylinder Head . Oversize intake valves/1.50 exh with- silicon springs and HD retainers, . Milled head w/ Steel Shim Gasket. CR= 9.5:1. H/W 5200 - 2.8 series (32/36) progressive 2Bbl carb., Exhaust ¾ siamese port divider, Champion racing spark plugs, Contact Point/Condensor distributor, Diaphragm Clutch. T5 Adaptor/5speed tranny, Short throw Hurst Indy shifter, OEM 3.50: rear, Shelby sway bar, Addco rear sway bar , Fabricated subframe connectors / crossmember, Hooker 6601 dual out longtube headers. Shoulder belts front and belts for three in rear, Dual chamber master cylinder, OEM wide-wagon brakes, dual air line rear shocks, 14” wheels & tires, Countersprung Tailgate, Original tube radio …

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

^^^^^ this

Love the S-22! Welcome aboard. :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Metco

Post by Metco »

Thank you all for your welcoming posts.
From what I am reading the best course should be focus on this 170 cu engine and the trans to make them do what’s they are supposed to do. After all, I can’t imagine people at Ford designing a mass production car to go only on flat surface. So, I will first look Into improving the tuning as suggested and see if the transmission is doing it’s job in downshifting when climbing.
I will keep posts on my progress and probably ask more questions as I get into it.
Thanks all
JL
Metco

Metco

Post by Metco »

Hello. I did some home work. starting with buying and reading the Matt Cox inline six -how-to - book.
Conclusion….My first steps should be to replace carb and ignition system. The ones in place are the originals for the 1963 six 170.
I am thinking of getting the Ford Strip DUI distributer and the Holley 390 CFM carb. They are already in my basket at vintage inline store but before ordering please advise:
1- are they a good compatible combination for a 1963, 170 engine?
2- do I need an adapter for the carb? Or other gasket?
3- do i need a new coil for the distributer ?
4- what am I missing there ?
:idea:
JL

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Pretty sure your 170 is 1 bbl carb and the 390 is 2 or 4 bbl so. no not a bolt in,, more home work for you! Lol
Try to find maybe on youtube someone who has done the install.
Does the inline site have a forum or chat area?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Do yourself a huge favor and put this in your cart online- https://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon ... K-p135.htm

Read and research before you drop a red cent on anything. Like all performance upgrades, everything has to work together as a package for optimal performance. Throwing a 4 barrel carb on a stock 6 is a bad idea w/o the proper combination of accompanying parts needed to make it work right. For easy bolt-on upgrades, forget the carb for now. You don't need a larger carb until you can turn the engine @ higher rpm. That will require a lot more money and work, starting by pulling the engine. Install a Pertronix ignition kit in the distributor and add a better set of wires. Open up the plug gap to 0.050" and bump up the ignition timing by a few degrees. Next on the list, add a dual header and exhaust to improve flow. Then you can jet the carb a tad fatter to increase power.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi