66 Caliente “more” door

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Spumoni

66 Caliente “more” door

Post by Spumoni »

Hey everyone! So last fall I came across my 66 Caliente, I had been cruising marketplace and Craigslist on and off with an eye out for Comets as well as some other 60s Fords/Mercs. This one wound up being a “right place/right time” deal and for basically the cost of a rental trailer she was mine, title and all. I know the 4 doors are a bit “meh” but it’s really grown on me, and I’m keen to clean her up and make her a shining example of what a nice 4 door can be! She’s a 66 Caliente with the 200ci in-line 6. So not only does it have extra doors, but the power barn is missing some much needed horses. I really wanted a “ground up” build, and this definitely checks the box. While it’s a super solid foundation, it needs a ton of love. Practically no interior, needs minor body work and paint, missing some glass, and engine work as it turns over but doesn’t start. I’m just now cracking into the build so I’m super stoked to document the process and bring you all along with me, as well as have you all here to lend your expertise as this is going to be a huge learning process for me throughout. Thanks for having me!
Attachments
63B5247C-4CFC-4C95-8C27-BAF393BC4328.jpeg
63B5247C-4CFC-4C95-8C27-BAF393BC4328.jpeg (28.31 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
64CFC337-BEB3-4CA6-9CF8-884D731E9054.jpeg
64CFC337-BEB3-4CA6-9CF8-884D731E9054.jpeg (36.42 KiB) Viewed 1688 times

poboyjo65

Re: 66 Caliente “more” door

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on ! glad you're here!!! :D
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Howdy Dudey!

Always loved those 200 air cleaner decals :D Will make a fun cruise car. Please continue to share your work with pics.
Lots of good knowledgeable owners here.
Keep on keeping on!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D Looking forward to your build thread. There haven't been as many 66 and later build threads documented here as there have been 65 and earlier. Should be a lot of fun to watch.

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome! Congrats on the find and look forward to your build thread and input in general.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Spumoni wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:38 am
Hey everyone! So last fall I came across my 66 Caliente, I had been cruising marketplace and Craigslist on and off with an eye out for Comets as well as some other 60s Fords/Mercs. This one wound up being a “right place/right time” deal and for basically the cost of a rental trailer she was mine, title and all. I know the 4 doors are a bit “meh” but it’s really grown on me, and I’m keen to clean her up and make her a shining example of what a nice 4 door can be! She’s a 66 Caliente with the 200ci in-line 6. So not only does it have extra doors, but the power barn is missing some much needed horses. I really wanted a “ground up” build, and this definitely checks the box. While it’s a super solid foundation, it needs a ton of love. Practically no interior, needs minor body work and paint, missing some glass, and engine work as it turns over but doesn’t start. I’m just now cracking into the build so I’m super stoked to document the process and bring you all along with me, as well as have you all here to lend your expertise as this is going to be a huge learning process for me throughout. Thanks for having me!
You know I am going to promot\e a 250 swap for a’66 it is a direct bolt in but then again it took a little bit of work to make mine a torquey black mark tire scorcher but I am sure you are looking for big easy power and there are plenty of guys here that can guide you along that route I am sure the budget will. Become Iplenty of money HP is easy a more door would look cool with air ride of course give it some attitude would not need lowered much you can make it cool just suggestion you have to make it yours accordi to your do bring us along for the ride itespecially for me if it is a somewhat of big power on a budget someday I might want to do a bent 8 build but really I am enjoying my little 6cylinder But am curious to see what the brain trust recommends maybe I should start a built by committee big power on a budget :wink: :wink:and welcome glad to have you here, pictures when you can
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Spumoni wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:38 am
You know I am going to promot\e a 250 swap for a’66 it is a direct bolt in but then again it took a little bit of work to make mine a torquey black mark tire scorcher but I am sure you are looking for big easy power and there are plenty of guys here that can guide you along that route I am sure the budget will. Become Iplenty of money HP is easy a more door would look cool with air ride of course give it some attitude would not need lowered much you can make it cool just suggestion you have to make it yours accordi to your do bring us along for the ride itespecially for me if it is a somewhat of big power on a budget someday I might want to do a bent 8 build but really I am enjoying my little 6cylinder But am curious to see what the brain trust recommends maybe I should start a built by committee big power on a budget :wink: :wink:and welcome glad to have you here, pictures when you can
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Welcome, good to see someone else here with a 66 4dr. What part of the country are you located? I’ve a friend that may have parts for your 4dr. Have fun with the build…
Motor Safe,
Lee

Spumoni

Post by Spumoni »

Hey Caveman! I'm located in Louisville Kentucky. Luckily I've got all the exterior bits and pieces I need, a rear bumper is really the one thing I'm hoping will pop up somewhere. Unfortunately mine is a bit past the point of repair. But I am really keeping an eye out for interior goodies! Funny enough I found your build on this forum through a Google search and that's how I came to make my account :lol: I'm definitely going to have to pick your brain on a few things, especially with how great yours has turned out!

Thanks so much for the welcome everyone! Floor pans are my next big project I'm hoping to knock out this fall so once I can get some solid progress and pictures I'll start up my build thread.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

I talked my friend who has 66 parts, he said he has doors, rear seats, bumpers (apparently not in the greatest of shape), and much more. I’ve been wanting to get by his place to see what all he has and snap some pics, just haven’t done it. Maybe this weekend I’ll try and see if he’s going to be home.
I’m not sure how the shipping will work with large items, but he told me he has used greyhound and fastenal in the past.
Motor Safe,
Lee