I just got my dream car

Let everyone know a little about yourself
notchback

I just got my dream car

Post by notchback »

Hi y'all. I'm Neil, otherwise know as notchback where ever I frequent. I currently live about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City. I bought my first Comet back in 1984. I just needed something to get me around for a couple of months and found it in the weekly ad paper. I paid $200 for it. I drove it for about 3 months then decided I wanted to get into mini-trucks (we all did something stupid when we were young). Less than a week later, I wanted the Comet back, but it was too late. I've looked off and on for one since, but not real seriously. For the past 20 or so years, I've been checking Craigslist and other online ads trying to find one that was affordable. I wanted it to be just like my first one, so I had to have a Caliente, 4 doors, 289, C4, white with red interior. Of course, being so selective, I couldn't find one that I could afford. 2020 and 2021 has been a great year for my wife and I. We saved up a bunch of money so that I could put a shop in the back yard. We poured the slab in October, then on Nov 30, the company came out to set it up. It took them two days and on Wednesday I had a shop. No electric, heat or insulation of course. On Thursday I checked my local ad web site and found my car. A '65 just like my old one. It's like it was supposed to happen.

My new shop is 45X28 and needed a project, so I bought the car sight unseen, with just a few blurry pictures. I picked it up on Saturday and brought it home. It has been parked in a shed since 1989. The guy dragged it out of the shed into his field and I came to pick it up. To my surprise (not really, it has been almost 33 years), the front brakes were locked up. It wouldn't roll at all. The guy I bought it from borrowed his neighbors mini-excavator. We hooked the front end to the mini-ex and managed to drag it onto the U-haul trailer.

When I got home, I realized that I was going to have to figure out how to unload it. I couldn't just push it off. I pulled my old diesel F-250 into the shop, hooked it and the Comet together with a strap and pulled. At first it didn't budge. Finally, it started coming. I would pull just a little and then spin out. Stop again, pull again and spin out. My shop floor has been broken in. It did come out though. Luckily, at 45 feet deep, the shop is big enough for both vehicles there.

There is a lot more to do to this car then I wanted to do. They use salt on the roads here in Utah, so it has some tin worm around the rear wheel and quarters. There are a couple sheet metal patches on the drivers floor. Nothing too bad though. I hate working in the cold, so not much is going to happen this winter except for finishing up the shop. First thing is to drain all the fluids in the engine, put some marvel mystery oil down the cylinders and let it do it's magic. Luckily the engine is not seized. It turns just fine. So, I'll be here for a while and will be asking for help and advice.

Here is a YouTube of me unloading it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHn_83OFcEU

I've tried posting pictures, but it say's they are too large. I tried on a host with the Image tags and all that comes up is the word "image". Any clues for posting pictures?

Jims65cyclone

Re: I just got my dream car

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, notchback! :D That's a cool story, and your new shop sounds great. What are your plans for finishing up the shop? Try following the guidance in this thread on posting pictures and see if it helps. We love to see pics!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16011

There's plenty of help here, free for the asking, so don't be shy. We look forward to seeing some pics of your new ride.

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

GOOD to hear a man gets his dream come true,,a shop and a comet back to back,,good things happen to good people,,,,good luck,,,,your not the 1st to work in a cold unheated shop at 1st,,my 1st didn;t even have a door,,,hung a blue tarp that winter...good luck pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Nice shop & pretty good looking Comet ta boot :D

Would love to build a small shop with a lift. Time will tell.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D
Johno

Teddyzee60

Post by Teddyzee60 »

Haha, the video was great!

I had similar fun unloading mine into/onto my unfinished shop.

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Great story! My brother had the same car as mine (1966 red Caliente) back in his exuberant youth. He came to visit last weekend and had a hoot reminiscing and driving it. Love your shop...glad that strap didn't break! :)

Jim