Greetings all!

Let everyone know a little about yourself
minion

Greetings all!

Post by minion »

New to this but I'll give it a shot....proud owner of a 64 404, had a 65 cyclone in HS many many moons ago. Minion has a 347, built years ago by a now defunct T&L engines in I believe NC. According to dyno sheet 450/450. I installed Fi-tech FI several years ago.
I am currently in the process of installing a Heidts front end under her, so consequently I have the entire original front suspension available, also going to a TKX so the T-10 too.
I sure enjoy reading all your posts.....lots of knowledge out there! Look forward to contributing what I can.
Attachments
01.jpeg
01.jpeg (130.99 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
02.jpeg
02.jpeg (144.72 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Greetings all!

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Great looking Comet, welcome and look forward to following your build. Please post in as much detail as possible, we love to follow along as this group is very supportive.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D good looking work & car too! welded up heater holes,are you planning an aftermarket ac/heat combo ?
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome, great lookin work and pics!!
As has been said, no such thing as too much detail in your posts.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

minion wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:35 pm
New to this but I'll give it a shot....proud owner of a 64 404, had a 65 cyclone in HS many many moons ago. Minion has a 347, built years ago by a now defunct T&L engines in I believe NC. According to dyno sheet 450/450. I installed Fi-tech FI several years ago.
I am currently in the process of installing a Heidts front end under her, so consequently I have the entire original front suspension available, also going to a TKX so the T-10 too.
I sure enjoy reading all your posts.....lots of knowledge out there! Look forward to contributing what I can.
Welcome to the group. Heidts makes nice stuff, they were the innovator of the Must.II suspension conversion. One note, I had a Heidts set up in my ‘33 Victoria, I felt that the slotted adjustment holes would have the same issue as the original Must.II/ Pinto’s had where the bolts would slide and throw the front end out of adjustment. A good friend of mine who owns an alignment shop convinced me to change the slots to towers so shims could be used to dial in the correct alignment. This way there is no chance of slippage and alignment issues. I fabricated some towers with gussets, set the initial alignment with two shims and welded the towers over the slotted area. (I first welded up the slots with a steel filler and ground the area smooth) I found an example of what I am describing, photo attached. This will work with tubular or factory style upper control arms, just turn the shaft 90 degrees.

Jim
Last edited by A/FX on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Welcome on!

Lots of power under the hood 8)
Looking forward to the transmission swap when you get to it. Looking @ the new Tremec, not as tall as TKO.
Wonder if you have to re-build the entire tunnel? A turn-off for the TKO.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D Looking forward to following your build.

Jim

minion

Post by minion »

So many great comets!! I will keep up the best I can with progress. Yes took factory heater box out, going with the vintage air heat only with defrost, some chilly fall shows here in Illinois, leaves a lot of inner firewall open for ignition box etc. I’m going for a clean engine compartment look, also removed factory wire harness and going with American Wire M22 kit. Talked with Modern Driveline today, need to get the TKX so I can swing the whole mess in there to locate my engine mounts. Oh and I’ll talk to my front end guy about changing over to shims, sounds like the way to go.
Attachments
64c.jpeg
64c.jpeg (164.31 KiB) Viewed 1902 times

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

minion wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:30 pm
So many great comets!! I will keep up the best I can with progress. Yes took factory heater box out, going with the vintage air heat only with defrost, some chilly fall shows here in Illinois, leaves a lot of inner firewall open for ignition box etc. I’m going for a clean engine compartment look, also removed factory wire harness and going with American Wire M22 kit. Talked with Modern Driveline today, need to get the TKX so I can swing the whole mess in there to locate my engine mounts. Oh and I’ll talk to my front end guy about changing over to shims, sounds like the way to go.
Where in Illinois are you? I am about 15 miles North of the Wi/Illinois border just South of Milwaukee. I used an American Autowire Hwy. 22 system in my Comet, it worked well.
Mounted the panel in an easy to service location. I also have a bank of relays under the dash for accessories.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Great looking build. Looking forward to more pictures and descriptions of what your doing. :D
Tom
tomb's 65

minion

Post by minion »

A/FX wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:10 pm
Where in Illinois are you? I am about 15 miles North of the Wi/Illinois border just South of Milwaukee. I used an American Autowire Hwy. 22 system in my Comet, it worked well.
Mounted the panel in an easy to service location. I also have a bank of relays under the dash for accessories.
Jim
Great idea putting the fuse panel in glove box....looks like a plan. I'm in NC Illinois, La Salle county. Been your way often, we like to go to Cedarburg WI, one of our favorite places.