Hello!

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Speculator

Hello!

Post by Speculator »

Hi all!
I am just speculating at this point, hence the name.
I am looking at a beat up old '65 Comet near me. It will need a ton done to it. I was hoping you guys would be able to take a look and give me an idea on how hard it would be to source parts needed. I want to start a project with my son. He was too young to work much on my '64 Pontiac Safari and that is almost done.
I may not get to purchase this before anyone else, but here is hoping.
https://cars.ksl.com/listing/7929949

tomb22

Re: Hello!

Post by tomb22 »

If everything they say about it is true then the $900.00 is a pretty good price I think. If you want to totally restore it then you will be looking for some parts. The 65 Comet was a one year style. A lot of us have restomodded our cars. They certainly attract attention where ever you take them because there good looking cars and most people have no clue what it is :lol:
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! ! :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D The key to looking for a good 65 Comet project car is to find one with minimal structural rust in floors, torque boxes, quarters and rockers. You'll have to do some crawling around under it to check out floors and torque boxes. Don't forget to check the trunk, too, especially on the passenger side where the muffler sits underneath. Its not uncommon for the weep holes in the cowl to get plugged with debris over time causing the floor of the cowl to rust through, allowing rain water to leak onto the the front floor boards causing rust through. That can migrate into the torque boxes and rockers. Not trying to scare you, but something you'll want to check out. 65's are a one year body style, so there are very few re-popped body parts/panels. Based on the limited pics, this one appears pretty complete. The taillight lenses can be found. Drive train parts a readily available since most Mustang/Falcon parts will work. $900 seems reasonable, but less would always be better. He's out of space and time for it = motivated seller. :wink: Good luck!

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Welcome on! :D

Check the paint code & see if the paint is original. Looks like it may be, which is a plus. Some body work ahead w/ driver's side door. A few repairs already on passenger side that may be questionable. Sub-frame, torque boxes, floor pans, cowl, rockers and rear quarters already covered by previous remarks. If you see flaky rust on undercarriage, tap on it w/ a pick and see if it breaks through. A penlight helps during inspection.

If you love the car & everything checks out well, buy it. Rollers have gone up in price over the years. I used to buy solid ones for $200-$300 years ago in much better condition but nothing is getting cheaper and everything is getting older.

Good luck!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Looks like a great parts car to me.
Will take a good chunk a money and time make it a driver.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about