Hello from North Texas

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Hitman

Hello from North Texas

Post by Hitman »

Hi, all. I’m Scott. I recently acquired a 66 Caliente 289 that my mother purchased new. Family out of state had it since 72, and I’m trying to get it running. It needs a driver floor pan, upholstery, front brakes, a sending unit and some body work.

I ordered a floor pan and bought a welder. I need to decide on a front disc kit and a master cylinder pretty quick, and I’m pretty sure that this has the same fuel tank as the 66 Mustang so I’ll pull the trigger on a unit from Autozone. Fortunately the engine and c4 are recently rebuilt.

The keys were lost at some point, and the glove box is locked (keys inside hopefully) so I’ll be throwing cash at a locksmith soon.

Future plans include the Edelbrock EFI, AC and the Gear Vendors overdrive. I think it has an 8 inch rear end. My goal is to make it start, drive and cruise like a Camry.

This is the car that brought me home from the hospital. According to my mom, it was very nearly the car I was born in.

I will probably be selling some of the parts. I have three hubcaps, the chrome trim and the center console in white. The Caliente script on the back has disappeared. It’s probably the only thing I would have kept.

I’m here to try to get enough information not to screw anything up. Since I’m keeping this car until I die, I want to do most of the things once.

I have had a lot of Mustangs over the years, and I also have a 64 F100 with a Cobra IRS and an aluminum LS which will take more work than the Comet to complete. I will try to help answer questions if I can. Thanks for the add.
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente

poboyjo65

Re: Hello from North Texas

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :)
Johno

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Thanks.
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Welcome! Lots of information here and folks to help. Search through the site and enjoy the reading 👍 Sounds like you have a keeper for sure, have fun with the build.
Motor Safe,
Lee

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Cool story! Welcome on.
Since you've had Mustangs I will be interested to learn the differences in driveline and suspension as you progress through the build.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Hitman wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:15 pm

I’m pretty sure that this has the same fuel tank as the 66 Mustang so I’ll pull the trigger on a unit from Autozone.
Don't be so certain about the Mustang gas tank fitting... Mine has a Mustang tank, installed sideways, to make room for the mini tub. I would double check if I was you to make sure that tank will fit correctly in your car, which is similar to a Fairlane.

Welcome to the group! Lot's of great resources here.
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Cool backline story on the Comet 8)
Hope you escaped the flooding! We are catching it now :(

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome a board! :D Like the other Jim said, check out those gas tank dimensions closely. The Mustang tanks aren't a drop-in fit for the earlier Comets, and the 66 Comet is completely different, built on the Fairlane platform. We'd love to see some pictures of your first stroller. Here's how to post them:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16011

Jim

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

JimsHot66 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:03 am
Hitman wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:15 pm

I’m pretty sure that this has the same fuel tank as the 66 Mustang so I’ll pull the trigger on a unit from Autozone.
Don't be so certain about the Mustang gas tank fitting... Mine has a Mustang tank, installed sideways, to make room for the mini tub. I would double check if I was you to make sure that tank will fit correctly in your car, which is similar to a Fairlane.

Welcome to the group! Lot's of great resources here.
Jim
To be clear, I just need the sending unit. The tank that sits in the trunk looks exactly the same as the Mustang one. But I found a sending unit that’s listed for the Comet and it’s 50 bucks shipped, so the mystery shall continue.
Last edited by Hitman on Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

SASSY wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:40 am
Cool story! Welcome on.
Since you've had Mustangs I will be interested to learn the differences in driveline and suspension as you progress through the build.
Fred
Full disclosure, my oldest Mustang is my current 1990. I had a buddy who owned a shop so I have done things like Mustang II front conversions but leaf springs are completely new to me. I hate the AOD which is why I plan to put the aftermarket overdrive on the C4.
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I hate the AOD which is why I plan to put the aftermarket overdrive on the C4.

Would like to know why you hate the AOD.
Tom
tomb's 65

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

It’s big and heavy and inefficient and expensive. I have one in my Fox. It’s really not bad for what it is. And as long as I don’t have to install it, remove it, mod it, fix it, adjust it or work on it.
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

OK. I see where your coming from. They can be a nice tyranny to add to and older car to get the overdrive. I sure like mine :D
Tom
tomb's 65

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Yeah, don’t get me wrong. I can’t even imagine how nice it is to upgrade to the overdrive from a regular three speed, and the AOD runs great once it’s set up. The mechanical and sheet metal requirements intimidate me too much for that to be a swap option, and the weight is a deal killer for me. I’ll swap it to a manual before I go AOD.
Scott
North Texas
1966 Comet Caliente