Hello from Murfreesboro, TN

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Marty

Hello from Murfreesboro, TN

Post by Marty »

Hey hey,

I've been reading your forums for awhile and it's been very helpful while fumbling around my 1963 Comet build. I appreciate the platform, this is my first classic "build"

My car:
1963 Comet Custom
Got her in 2021 and I just dug into her and found that her 289 had cracked bearing caps.....sad day. So after crying in my beer I went back to the drawing board...gonna pull the 289, upgrade to disc brakes, suspension, etc.. and do what any other Y chromosome carrying male would and put a bigger engine in later this year... is my hope. Big to do list, I'm sure I'll learn a ton

Currently trying to figure out all the details and best options for upgrading the steering, I assume it's I6 parts now and should probably upgrade now to the V8 steering.
Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi

SASSY

Re: Hello from Murfreesboro, TN

Post by SASSY »

First off WELCOME!!
We love pics but bit of a problem as they need to be linked from a hosting site.
Looking forward to reading about your decisions and build.
Steering, you've probably read that 65 is the way to go and seeing as your car is a 6cyl car the steering box is right for the upgade.
Disc brakes are a very good idea, lots a info in the driveline section on what guys have done and or recommend.
Too bad about ths 289,, there's no fixing it eh?(ya Canadian, lol), a later 302 roller would make a great upgrade.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Howdy neighbor! Welcome on! :D I'm just down the road a piece, to your west,just on the other side of the Tn. river. Stick around!
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Howdy Doody!

Post pics, if you have time. :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D You're just down the road from Pigeon Forge where we have a gathering the first weekend in June every year. You should come this June. We usually have 20 to 30 guys show up with their cars, and about as many more show up without them, but everyone is talking and sharing Comet knowledge. It's a great opportunity to share and learn and see what others have done.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17089

Here's how lot's of guys post pics on the forum:
https://cometcentral.com/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=16011

Jim

Marty

Post by Marty »

Thank you all for the warm welcome and help figuring out how to post pictures here. Glad to hear that some of you are out here locally, I was thinking about reaching out about any good "junk yards" in the area.

Here's Ol' Black Mattie:

Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Marty wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:45 am
Currently trying to figure out all the details and best options for upgrading the steering, I assume it's I6 parts now and should probably upgrade now to the V8 steering.
Looks like V8 steering already (5 lug wheels). Assuming it's originally 260 car w/ 289 transplant?
Fifth digit in the VIN would be 'F'.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Welcome, that looks like a really nice Comet. Can't go wrong with a black car with red interior, always been a favorite color combo of mine.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That is a GOOD lookin' Comet! 8) You should start a build thread in the 60-63 Comets section so you can document your work and we can follow your progress. We love that stuff, and you'll probably get a lot of good advice that you hadn't thought to ask about. Guys that have been there/done that might see some issues coming that you haven't stepped in yet. Might save you some headaches. :wink:

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:34 am
Can't go wrong with a black car with red interior, always been a favorite color combo of mine.
Same here :)
Had a black/red '66 Mustang & '75 Ranger F-100. Bought the wife a black/red Poncho T/A.

Cool to see this one. My '63 was originally black/red until a re-paint.
If I could find all of the stainless trim, might put it back.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Marty

Post by Marty »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:41 am
Marty wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:45 am
Looks like V8 steering already (5 lug wheels). Assuming it's originally 260 car w/ 289 transplant?
Fifth digit in the VIN would be 'F'.

Joe
Thanks, I wish.... it is a "U". I'm still trying to identify what spindle is on there, but I figured when I finish up with a couple of the interior items I'll get a cherry picker, pull the engine, and really dig in.

It was red on red but the paint and body needed a little work so went ahead with the change.
Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Most likely the stock 63-4 V8 spindle.
Post a couple pics, we'll probably be able to tell if it is 6or 8 spindle. The part # is between the upper ball joint and wheel spindle center C3 or C5 first 2 if V8.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Marty

Post by Marty »

SASSY wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:00 pm
Post a couple pics, we'll probably be able to tell if it is 6or 8 spindle. The part # is between the upper ball joint and wheel spindle center C3 or C5 first 2 if V8.
Thank you, that helps! I'll take a look.
Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi

Marty

Post by Marty »

SASSY wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:00 pm
Not the best picture, I'll be able to get in there in the next couple of weeks.

Marty, 1963 Comet Custom
Semper Fi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Not sure from the pics need to see the tierod arm too.
Also post up a pic of the idler arm with frame mount, the 63-4 V8 one is unique.