New from Central Oregon

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Torino

New from Central Oregon

Post by Torino »

Hello All, Jim here, from the high desert of Central Oregon. Have a hard time finding time to post on forums but today is the day. In 2001 I purchased my 67 Cyclone, a 390 2V, 3 speed manual, floor shifted with console. Partially disassembled, or should I say ripped apart, and original engine swapped into previous owners pick-up. Now retired, I use that term loosely, and selling of some of my cars over the past year, I've begun planing and purchasing parts for the build to come. After building custom cars for decades I always put a plan together with a picture of the end goal in mind, while still being somewhat flexible to the demands of the build. The exterior will be stock appearing as well as the interior. Have ordered and received the Mustang II front suspension kit. I already have a fresh 428 with tri-power, and new Tremec TKO 600 that I have had for quite some time. Finished off with 3.70 gears and 31 spline axles, old school Slotted Mag's. When I graduated High school I had silver, Fairlane 500 XL, with black interior and that's the color scheme the Cyclone will carry. I loved that car with it's great roof line thus the 67 Cyclone. If you follow the auctions you may have seen my silver Ranchero cross the block at Mecum's November auction in Vegas last fall, lot # F154. That's the silver I'll use. End of May another car will be leaving and with better weather, I'll be able to get the Cyclone dug out of the back corner of the shop. Then onto the Rotisserie, have it media blasted, fabricate a set of sub-frame connectors and get it sealed up with epoxy primer hopefully by the end of summer. Well that's enough about the project. Look forward to getting some help with things like what's the best aluminum radiator and hoses to fit this application. The one thing I've learned over the years is that there is always so much more to learn and that it's just as important to pass on our knowledge. Best of luck with everyone's cars and projects.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: New from Central Oregon

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Sounds like an awesome build. I always loved the tail lights on 67's. A local guy here has a 67 Cyclone in acapulco blue. Hopefully you can find time to start a build thread with plenty of pictures, we all would love to follow along.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Welcome! Look forward to following your build. Another Jim, popular on this site 😁
Motor Safe,
Lee

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D All that you mentioned,,will need traction,be a good time for a minitub . & you didn't mention rear suspension.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Caveman49 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:12 pm
Another Jim, popular on this site 😁
I think we have a Jim for every year of comets :lol: we're close to a straight flush! :lol:
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome ! Certainly reads like you know what your doing.
Look forward to seeing some build pics.
"slotted mags" You know where its at!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Anywhere around John Day? Great area to ride a motorcycle!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Welcome on!
My youngest and his wife live just across the range in wine country.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Torino

Post by Torino »

Thanks for the warm welcome. Looks like the "Showing Off" is the place for posting a build project. I have collected/parted out 3 others, 2- 67's and a 66. Have spare parts and will try to look under the parts wanted for 66 & 67's occasionally to see if I have a part to help someone out. I only have one old printed picture of the car when I bought it, in pretty poor condition. When my son is in town next time I'll have him help me post a few pictures. Any old drag race fans might get a kick out of my glove box lid being signed by Dyno Don. I'll make sure to get it out of the display case and post a picture of it.
I do get over to Portland and Oregon city several times a year.

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Rare glove box lid signed by Nicholson, he was definitely a legend in his day. Look forward to seeing your ride, great story….
I’ve had some interaction with one of Dyno Don’s competitors, Grumpy Jenkins, his nephew. He races here in Alabama locally, we served in the military together, he’s got some great stories about Grumpy. Looking forward to see some pics.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, Torino! :D Post some pics, because we love to see 'em. Here is the method that many of us use:
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... =1&t=16011
Most of the guys post their build threads under the model years, 66 - 69 Comets in your case, but Showing Off works, too. Looking forward to following your build.

Jim (again) :)

Torino

Post by Torino »

You'll have to ask him if he ever heard of Ricky Hautter (not sure of the spelling of his last name) out of Chardon Ohio or TSE (Trick Stuff Engineering). The car was called Caned Heat. It was said the Ricky was one of few that Jenkins calaberated with at the race track though the competed against each other. I have an old Hot Rod magazine somewhere with the two of them talking. Ricky's car, a 68 Camero, which I think ran Supper Stock, I don't believe the Pro Stock Class had arrived yet. Long time ago to remember as I graduated high school in 70. Anyways not sure if 68 or 69, Ricky's Camero set new ET & MPH records at the Summer Nationals. Of coarse back then new records would be set at the next Nationals. It was a great time to be young, addicted to cars, motorcycles and racing. I don't remember meeting Ricky though but our two dads new each other through Sohio (Std. Oil of Ohio). I Was introduced to the Camero I think in late 70 or 71. Ricky's driver, Jeff Gardner had purchased the car to run in "A" Modified. The car was striped down to bare metal and I repainted the car Gun Metal Gray with Silver metal flake. I'll never forget the first time I saw the car and the amount of holes put in every conceivable panel to reduce weight. The car continued to have great success in A Modified. That seems like forever ago but still somehow like yesterday,

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

There is a guy not too far from me in Indiana with a 427 sohc powered 64 Cyclone called "Cammed Heat".
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Torino

Post by Torino »

Appropriately named!