Doug from NC here

Let everyone know a little about yourself
MY63COMET

Doug from NC here

Post by MY63COMET »

My name is Doug, and I’m addicted to classic cars.
I’m 63 yrs young and have had many a car in my years living in Northern Indiana, Bay Area California, and NC since 1992.
When I was a wee lad I used to hang out at the bowling alley on weekends which was right next door to where my dad and uncle sold Lincoln/Mercury from the mid-60’s until the early 1980’s. The dealership was in LaPorte, Indiana and was called North Shore Sales.
I have a lot of fond memories seeing the new Comets, Cougars, Marauders, Marquis, Lincoln’s, Parklanes, Spoilers, Eliminators, Bobcats, Lynx, etc hit the showroom floor.
What a great time it was to be a kid.
For some odd reason I ventured away from Ford products in my teen years and went down the GM road. Most of my cars were 70’s Pontiacs , a few Chevelles, a few 70’s Cutlass’s, and three 1972 Chevy trucks.
Fast forward through marriage, two kids, and now three grandkids, and here I am reminiscing about my dad and the Mercury dealership that I still think about.
I just bought a beautiful Pacific blue 1963 Comet custom 4-door sedan off of EBay. Looking forward to seeing it in my garage in a few weeks. It’s not a 2 door and it’s not a V8, but that’s just fine. I just love the looks of the 1963 Comets.
I still have an 8mm film that was converted to dvd that shows my grandparents getting out of their 1962 Mercury Meteor.
Very cool.
Enough rambling for now. I’m glad to be a part of Comet Central. Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_3203.jpeg
IMG_3203.jpeg (122.35 KiB) Viewed 978 times
IMG_3204.jpeg
IMG_3204.jpeg (129.29 KiB) Viewed 978 times

Joe Travers

Re: Doug from NC here

Post by Joe Travers »

Welcome on, Doug! Clean ride 8)
Bought my Comet for the same nostalgic fix.
Always reminds me of chrome and linoleum kitchen furniture.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

I love those tables. My grandma had one. Great era.
BTW- my wife worked at IBM with a Joe Travers in Raleigh.
Not the same person?

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Nope. Been to Raleigh but never worked there.
Ancient Norman family line. One of very many :)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Welcome to the group. Having personal history with Mercury’s myself I know how you feel about returning to Mercury ownership. I know exactly what your Comet needs…..
it needs a dealership emblem from the dealership your father was associated with. Maybe if you look real hard you can come up with one, or possibly have one 3D printed.

My father and his family ran a L/M dealership while I was growing up, my father sold out in 1966, two years before I bought my Cyclone. I grew up with Mercury’s and Lincoln’s, and have owned many of each over the years. ( still own one of each)
When I was doing the last build on the Cyclone I decided it needed a dealership emblem from the family dealership. I found a era correct emblem, formed it to fit the curve of my decklid then had it rechromed. It’s the small details that make a difference.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome! Looks to be a very pretty car, looking forward to your input.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Jim,
Great idea on the dealership emblem idea. I have the dealership saved as one of my searches on EBay hoping something would pop up. So far I’ve only been able to get a plastic license plate with the dealership name on it.
When we head up to the Auburn show in Sept I plan on hitting some of the antique shops in LaPorte. Maybe if I get lucky I will run across one?
That is one bad *ss l@@king car you have there! Very nice.
Thanks for the reply.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on Doug! sweet car! :D
Johno

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:48 pm
Welcome! Looks to be a very pretty car, looking forward to your input.
Fred
Thank you Fred. I’m going to see if I can dig up a few things out of the trucks I have of photos and such. I know I have a clipping of my dad at the dealership and also a cheat sheet salesman used showing their inventory of the used cars and how much the dealership had in them. I remember a 65 or 66 Comet convertible on the sheet.

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:01 pm
Welcome on Doug! sweet car! :D
Right back at you. I love your car.
You guys are starting to remind me of that old commercial,
“I could of had a V-8”
Lol

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, Doug....again! :D I saw your head liner post first, so welcomed you there. :roll: I’ll be interested to see what the source of your head liner stain is.

Jim

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:15 pm
Welcome aboard, Doug....again! :D I saw your head liner post first, so welcomed you there. :roll: I’ll be interested to see what the source of your head liner stain is.

Jim
I know being the OCD guy that I am, I won’t be able to look at that stained headliner for long. I’m hoping it’s just a stain from the padding. I can’t fathom the roof being rusty/wet enough on the inside bottom to cause that.
If it is surface rust I want to clean it up and treat it with some Eastwood products rather than having an upholstery shop do it. Just want to be sure it’s done correctly before the new headliner goes in.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If they put in a new headliner & did not use insulation it could be condensation on surface rust. I've heard on here that the windshield & back window have to come out to put in a new headliner. does it look like new seals on those glasses?
Johno

MY63COMET

Post by MY63COMET »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:30 pm
If they put in a new headliner & did not use insulation it could be condensation on surface rust. I've heard on here that the windshield & back window have to come out to put in a new headliner. does it look like new seals on those glasses?
Now that would suck having to remove both windows. :-(
I was told the car was restored some 30 yrs ago. I don’t actually get my car for a few more weeks.
It is being shipped from Massachusetts.
I will have to l@@k it over when it gets here.
Thanks for that info though.
-Doug-

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I have also heard of people poking it in using a putty knife. someone must have done mine like that because it still has very old window seals in it,or did,I took the front one out & it seemed to me to be the original factory seal. guy I got it from said it was a new headliner. but back one must have been out because the chrome trim was gone. maybe some of the body guys on here will chime in. but if it needs new window seals best to do both at same time from what I gather.
Johno