Back again after a few years away . . . . .

Let everyone know a little about yourself
bigdan

Back again after a few years away . . . . .

Post by bigdan »

Well, hello again all! I was here years ago with my 65 Falcon in the "Ford" portion of the forum and really enjoyed being here. But, life, you know? I finished the 65 Falcon and started putting serious miles on the old girl then everything went to heck seemingly overnight. Oldest kiddo was in a wreck, place i worked was closing, and COVID hit. Somehow, in all that mess, I convinced myself I needed to sell the 65 Falcon. And, unfortunately, it sold in a day or two. Immediate regret, of course, but too late. COVID passed, kiddo was OK and found another job. But - the 65 Falcon was gone. I kept in touch with the new owner, which was cool, but bittersweet.

I decided to dig into my 53 Ch#vy pickup my Dad built years ago, so spent a few years building a chassis and just generally a ground-up rebuild. I finished that a few months ago, and that old itch started up again. . . . . . Let's look for the old dream car, right? So, kept my eyes open and lo and behold, found a 65 close to me - 25 miles down the road. 65 Comet, that is - the car I've looked for for years! And - drum roll - it's a Cyclone! Red / red, bucket seat car, gun barrel straight. Appears to be original paint and never wrecked or even had the fenders / hood /trunk lid removed, just the interior. Was stored in a barn for 25+ years by an awesome fella and his Mom, terrific people.

So - now I'm about to start a project on the car I've looked for since I was 16 or so - exciting times! Pretty much all is there except the trunk trim Cyclone badge, front hood trim and the bars between the trunk lid and sail panels. Does have a little rust in the floors, but the important bits are solid so I'll attack the rust first. I'll get it cleaned up and tackle the rust first, then put a plan together. Thinking nice and simple, maybe caltracs and monoleafs out back, 9in, 5 or 6 speed, factory-ish front suspension, nasty mean small block . . . . . . you get the idea. I'll refresh my memory on posting pics and get a few uploaded.

Glad to be back on board!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

Joe Travers

Re: Back again after a few years away . . . . .

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey, Dan! Cool you found the Cyclone 8)

I don't know how current Melvin's Falcon catalog is but they did have all of the badging goodies.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Glad your back & ok! I wondered what happened to you. & with a new toy! yea hate you lost the other one,it was certainly a cool build. looking forward to seeing the new one though! :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome back!! I was thumbing through the All in the Family forum just the other day and ran across your thread and wondered what happened to you. Glad life's back on track again, and a 65 Cyclone to boot! Yes, you have GOT to start a thread on that build. I'll be taking notes. Hope to start on mine soon. I've been building a garage dedicated to it for a year now, and close to moving in and getting started. A little more inspiration won't hurt. :D

Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Welcome back. I followed your Falcon build and plan to follow the ‘65 build.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Glad you are back and this time with a Comet makes it a tiny bit better than before. :P No one make that cyclone badge, very hard to find. The foil cyclone insert is reproduced, but good luck with that emblem base. The other parts you are missing pop up on eBay often, just keep an eye out.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks for the reception! Here's a few pics if I can make this work. And yes, those are trailer tires. They work perfect!

More later-

Dan

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome back!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

That looks great.
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

There is a guy in Chillocothe, Ohio that has many of the parts you need listed on Facebook marketplace. He does not have prices but in the pictures I see some of the stuff you need.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tid=6ojiHh
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks for the pointers! I'm a long way from needing them, but I'll check him out. Interesting that Melvins had pretty much all of the parts too- didn't see that coming.

Dan

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Probably not in stock, a lot of that stuff has been out of stock since covid. The time to get these things is when you see them. Hard to find when you actually need them. Good luck. Also, that cyclone emblem is just the foil insert. The backing badge is the hard part.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

bigdan wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:42 am
Thanks for the pointers! I'm a long way from needing them, but I'll check him out. Interesting that Melvins had pretty much all of the parts too- didn't see that coming.

Dan
As Boss mentioned, may be out of stock since Covid lockdown but I would call first thing Tuesday morning.
I couldn't find a rebuild kit for a Holley DP couple years ago from Holley but found one at a local O'Reillys. Go figure :?
It's like that old Badfinger song goes....if you want it.......
May be able to find the flags off a Marauder, they fit.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I didn't think about them being out of stock. I've got everything except the tail panel piece, and I have an idea on making that piece. Thanks -

Dan

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

bigdan wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:49 pm
I didn't think about them being out of stock. I've got everything except the tail panel piece, and I have an idea on making that piece. Thanks -

Dan
If you have access to the tool and ability, then go for it and share your results. I bet a someone skilled in machine work could make a cool tail panel piece.
Larry