1965 Comet Caliente (little red)

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Sugarmaker

Re: 1965 Comet Caliente (little red)

Post by Sugarmaker »

Tom,
Thanks! Your red Comet looks really sharp! Hoping ours shines up like that? Our "Lil Red" has had one paint job in its life I think. Yep there will be some flaws that we find as it get inspected closer.
We pried off the lid on the piggy bank today, and are putting the puzzle pieces together for the final paper work in a week or so. Weather sucks here right now, so we are not in a big hurry to get "Lil Red" home, and the owner can store it for a while for us. Basically will need a good dry day to drive it home. some other pics from a while back:

I believe that the seats are original? As is most of the car. At least that's the story.

We belong to our local Chapter of the AACA and hope to be able to do some driving with friends from the club this season.

Arm rest looks like maybe it has been recovered? Or just worn?
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That is a beautiful car, Chris. The interior looks pristine, and the upholstery is correct and probably original. 8) Mine was originally Carnival Red with white interior and a white vinyl roof. Now it's Toyota red (or so I was told), has black interior and the vinyl roof is long gone. :roll: You've got a real creampuff!

Jim

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Jim, Folks,
Thanks for the review. And the critique of "lil red"! Close up pictures will reveal all the minor defects and wear and tear over almost 60 years and 80,000 miles. But as we know about finding any old vehicle, in near original condition, it is a challenge today. This car has dual exhaust, which I have a feeling may be one of the non original features. The codes say 289 with 2V carb. So would this car have had a single exhaust?
I did see that the jack base is positioned on top of the spare, I believe the jack upright must be under the tire? The PO said he never looked for the jack.
I saw the original full hubcaps, the Fox craft fender skirts, the original yellow air cleaner and valve covers in the trunk. Also noticed that the arm rest has several issues. Of course this is one item that got a lot of use/wear by the previous owners. The car was built in Loraine plant and delivered to Memphis Tenn. All the codes seem to line up as they should.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Sugarmaker wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:47 am
I see several kits for disc brakes Looks like I would have a couple thousand in new brakes and master cylinder at least.
Na! the csrp kit that Jim mentioned has MC & most everything you need except the hard lines,,,but it does come with ss braided hoses.it even has red & blue thread locker & wheel bearing grease. & for just under 700, & probably about 40 shipping, & maybe tax too. look at the first kit for mustang, swap 1.3,,,,, you can click on the word ''image'' to see all that comes with it. They bolt right on v8 spindles (factory V8 cars) so you wont have to change those.
https://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%2 ... SWAP1.html

& if you bleed ford blue they are a copy of kelsey hayes type brakes that came on stangs back then. you wont need power brakes. & work with most factory 14'' wheels.
Johno

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

johno,
Thanks for the direction/ support. Not sure where I will go on the brakes but sure seems like front discs would be a positive improvement if the old drum system needs an upgrade.
I looked at the kit. Thanks for the link and guide to the kit. Looks like the way to go if we need to look at a brake upgrade!
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Sugarmaker wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:17 pm
The codes say 289 with 2V carb. So would this car have had a single exhaust?
I did see that the jack base is positioned on top of the spare, I believe the jack upright must be under the tire?
It originally came with single exhaust. The jack post/ratchet assembly were placed under one side of the spare with the base plate inverted on top of the wheel so the extended part of the base plate went into the center hole on the wheel to center it on the J-bolt.

Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Sugarmaker wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:38 pm
Not sure where I will go on the brakes but sure seems like front discs would be a positive improvement if the old drum system needs an upgrade.
Even if you stay with the drum, you should convert to a dual MC for safety reasons.

Jim

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Jim,
Yes that makes sense on the he dual master cylinder safety issue.
The jack is probably right where it is supposed to be? Will be like a kid with a new toy!
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Congrats on the new Comet! It looks great! Hopefully you get it soon.
As far as brakes... I had all drums, one reservoir, non power. Upgraded to front disc, dual reservoir and power. HUGE difference!! I would consider this a required, not optional, upgrade. I had it done so don't know particulars on kit's or parts used (same as what was installed in 1966) and it cost $1,600 installed.

Enjoy the car (when you get it!). Love the color!
Jim

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Jim,
Thanks for your recommendations on the Comet brake systems too. Sounds like you saw some improvements over the factory systems.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Comet folks,
Cheryl and I secured the lil red Comet today. Title work will happen next week, and maybe we can even get it home soon after. All weather dependent on the drive home. Only about 10 miles but the snow and wet roads are not good at this time of the year. Great for making maple syrup, not for nice antique cars!
Some random pictures Keep in mind this car has not been restored cleaned or painted underneath, You may see the good/bad with me! Will get better pictures when we get it home.

Note this power steering unit was replaced by the PO after this picture. He had the car aligned also

Thanks for checking on me and the Comet. Comments are always welcome too.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

She looks pretty dog gone good, Chris. No beads of oil hanging off the oil pan or PS unit. The right front backing plate looks dry. The left rear one may be a little damp, indicating a weeping wheel cylinder, but hard to tell if that's just shadows. The gas tank is pretty crusty, but the outside doesn't necessarily indicate what the inside is like. Doesn't look like the exhaust system has been on there very long. If it were mine, the first thing I'd do when I got it home is pull all four drums and check the status of the brakes. Make sure it's safe to drive now, whether you convert to discs and/or dual MC later or not. I'd also change the fuel filter and pay attention to how dirty it is. Mine started running rough, so I changed the fuel filter and it looked like it had mud in it from rust in the tank. That has become a current project to fix. :roll: I think you've found a really nice car. 8)

Jim

Groover

Post by Groover »

Looks pretty dang good to me.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Guys,
Thanks! May bring this home today. Weather is cold but the roads are pretty good.
Yes brakes and drive ability concerns will be first on the list.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Comet folks,
Well we have the "lil red" Comet home. Just in time for the weather to get really windy and cold with snow coming.
Evaluation continues. I will load a bunch a bunch of pictures (new baby pictures):)
Our friend John and our son Adam were in charge of the driving duties while the wife and I followed with the chase car.

Its home in our shop, with John checking it out:

The paint is not perfect, but will be fine as a driver car. I dont want a high end show car at this time.
Down the sides:

Found the missing chrome trim piece:

Cheryl checking out the Comet

Regards,
Chris and Cheryl