Project save the Comet

Let everyone know a little about yourself
PlethoraOfProjects

Project save the Comet

Post by PlethoraOfProjects »

Working on saving this Comet from being consumed by nature. The 200 inline 6 is locked up from sitting for 40 years (or at least what I think is the 200). Was thinking about a 302 swap. I know I’d have to swap the trans and rear-end, but I think parts for the 302 will be a lot easier to come by. After a huge rats nest in the engine compartment the wiring harness is basically shot. What do you all think? Should I try to save the inline 6? Im sure I could let the cylinders soak in trans fluid and hopefully get it broke free but how long will that last in reality? Should I look for another inline 6 so I dont have to worry about trans and differential swap? This was my great grandfather in-laws car so I want to keep it as original as possible. A little rough around the edges but excited to get it running.
Attachments
IMG_3073.jpeg
IMG_3073.jpeg (190.01 KiB) Viewed 167 times
IMG_3079.jpeg
IMG_3079.jpeg (242.51 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Caveman49

Re: Project save the Comet

Post by Caveman49 »

Welcome! Great to see another 66 being worked on. Looks like that car was loaded up pretty good from the factory from what I’m seeing under the hood, power steering n brakes, ac….. I can’t tell, but would venture to say it has an automatic (C4) transmission, looks like it has most of the stuff under the hood.

Might you know why it was parked in the first place. Also, where are you located, there may be some folks close by to help out with parts, or have parts you may need. I ask because I’ve some 66 stuff that’s going to be available.

Your choice on however you go with it, although keeping it stock would probably be much more cost effective, IMHO. A V8 swap would involve quite a bit of work with replacing parts, suspension etc.

All the best with your future build.
Motor Safe,
Lee

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome to comet central! all depends on what you want from the car . if just to cruise around the 6 will be the easiest. it's always easier to put them back like they were. problems dont snowball like when you make major changes. Lots of guys switch to V8s,so if you stay with the 6 you might find a good motor for cheap or free. finding one close & at the right time might be harder, but worth a look & a shout out. the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Johno

PlethoraOfProjects

Post by PlethoraOfProjects »

Yeah, Im just right outside Kansas City. Im thinking im going to buy a new 200 to throw in it. Im not sure why it was originally parked but i can make a few assumptions. The starter is off of it and no where to be found. Id need a new wiring harness along with the motor but it all looks relatively simple. From what i can gather it does have the automatic C4 trans. And A/C seems to be all there. Hopefully theres someone in the greater Kansas city area to give me a few pointers.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! :D Like Poboy said, if you're looking to make it a cruiser and close to original, you'll come out a lot cheaper sticking with the 6. A major conversion can be like pealing an onion. Hard to tell when/where to stop. Can't hurt to see if you can get the original engine to run. Won't cost much to try, and you should find out pretty quick whether it's worth it. Start a build thread so we can follow along.

Jim

Groover

Post by Groover »

unless you feel strongly, I say stix with the six. You can always go to the 8 later, but if you're not racing, it'd be fun to get her up and cruising. JMHO (and everybody here knows I'm a stock kindof guy).
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...