hello

Let everyone know a little about yourself
ncgalax

Re: hello

Post by ncgalax »

Comechero65 wrote:
ncgalax wrote:Thanks Comanchero, I have been very blessed. The Farmall is a 1948 H, really enjoyable for Sunday afternoon drives with a cigar. Nothing i own car wise is really pretty or valuable but I enjoy all of them. I am excited about the Comet. I was never looking for one but there it was for free so.....
Sounds like you are having a good time. Been back that way a few times, the wife has family in Raliegh, Benson, Four Oaks area. Got a cotton stalk grown in NC hanging in my garage to show others what they look like. Nothing like North Carolina Barbeque. UM UM UM!! Enjoy that and some hushpuppys everytime we make it there.
Ron
My family is from Four Oaks, I live about 90 minutes east. I am glad you enjoy our down east Barbeque. I suppose you are refering to vinegar based, in the western part of the state it is tomato based.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Best I recall,,about 1972,,international did away with the little red 6volt farmall cub,,the hood got a make over ,somewhat simelar,but they were painted yellow and off white and was 12volt,then they were called international cub,and in 1978 production was stopped ,I have a 1976 one owner with a woods belly mower,I use it more then my 4wd New Holland FORD diesel,plus I put the CUB in tractor shows every tear.BUT those red Farmalls are pretty when redone.....just thought I'd throw this stuff out there for grins and giggles......pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! That 66 looks barn-fresh. You'll have fun bringing it back up to your standards. Anything you want to know in the process, the answer is probably already here with a search, or just ask and someone will know the answer.

I love the vinegar/pepper based BBQ, but in middle SC where I am it's all about mustard based sauce. I'm originally from Atlanta where the sauce was ketchup based, so the first time we went out for BBQ after moving to SC we were shocked when they brought out the plate and it had a yellow cast to it. We thought it had gone bad or something, but it was good once we got up the nerve to taste it. But I'll take the vinegar/pepper anytime I can get it.

Jim

ncgalax

Post by ncgalax »

popscomet wrote:Best I recall,,about 1972,,international did away with the little red 6volt farmall cub,,the hood got a make over ,somewhat simelar,but they were painted yellow and off white and was 12volt,then they were called international cub,and in 1978 production was stopped ,I have a 1976 one owner with a woods belly mower,I use it more then my 4wd New Holland FORD diesel,plus I put the CUB in tractor shows every tear.BUT those red Farmalls are pretty when redone.....just thought I'd throw this stuff out there for grins and giggles......pop
I really love the Farmall letter series tractors. It is so exciting to me that something from 1948 is still running and when it does need a repair I can still do it. I guess it is the same fascination I have with my Galaxie and the Mercury. Just simple cool machines. I could spend the money it takes me to fix them on a car that would smoke them in every category... but I just love old machines. Back then they were still "owned" by the person that bought them because he could maintain and fix them. I feel like new cars are just on loan from a dealership because I cannot always fix what comes up... Just my two cents.

ncgalax

Post by ncgalax »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Welcome aboard! That 66 looks barn-fresh. You'll have fun bringing it back up to your standards. Anything you want to know in the process, the answer is probably already here with a search, or just ask and someone will know the answer.

I love the vinegar/pepper based BBQ, but in middle SC where I am it's all about mustard based sauce. I'm originally from Atlanta where the sauce was ketchup based, so the first time we went out for BBQ after moving to SC we were shocked when they brought out the plate and it had a yellow cast to it. We thought it had gone bad or something, but it was good once we got up the nerve to taste it. But I'll take the vinegar/pepper anytime I can get it.

Jim
Jim, if you are ever in eastern NC we will cook a pig!

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

ncgalax wrote:
Comechero65 wrote:
ncgalax wrote:Thanks Comanchero, I have been very blessed. The Farmall is a 1948 H, really enjoyable for Sunday afternoon drives with a cigar. Nothing i own car wise is really pretty or valuable but I enjoy all of them. I am excited about the Comet. I was never looking for one but there it was for free so.....
Sounds like you are having a good time. Been back that way a few times, the wife has family in Raliegh, Benson, Four Oaks area. Got a cotton stalk grown in NC hanging in my garage to show others what they look like. Nothing like North Carolina Barbeque. UM UM UM!! Enjoy that and some hushpuppys everytime we make it there.
Ron
My family is from Four Oaks, I live about 90 minutes east. I am glad you enjoy our down east Barbeque. I suppose you are refering to vinegar based, in the western part of the state it is tomato based.
That's right vinegar based pulled pork. Apparently the recipie for it varies by region. Anytime we were there we stayed in an RV park at Four Oaks and went to White Swan first thing for some barbeque and hushpuppies. That was always a big treat for us. Never tried any of the other varieties but I'm sure they are all good. Fell in love with the vinegar based the first time I tried it.

Old tractors are neat. I grew up on a farm in Iowa. The tractor I ran was an old WC Allis. Had to hand crank it, no electrical system. In winter when it was cold it was the only thing that would start. Always started on the second pull of the crank. Plowed out a lot of snow with it. Got stuck a lot of times with it as well.
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

Big block Comet is a keeper!! :wink:
Love the 65 Galaxies too...they look like the larger version of the 65 Comet.
Welcome!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ncgalax wrote:
popscomet wrote:Best I recall,,about 1972,,international did away with the little red 6volt farmall cub,,the hood got a make over ,somewhat simelar,but they were painted yellow and off white and was 12volt,then they were called international cub,and in 1978 production was stopped ,I have a 1976 one owner with a woods belly mower,I use it more then my 4wd New Holland FORD diesel,plus I put the CUB in tractor shows every tear.BUT those red Farmalls are pretty when redone.....just thought I'd throw this stuff out there for grins and giggles......pop
I really love the Farmall letter series tractors. It is so exciting to me that something from 1948 is still running ........POP feels the same way,cause I was born in 1948 and am still running great !!! from time to time I may devolpe a miss fire but I'm easily tuned up :D :lol: :shock:
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I've got a 1948 Ford 8N tractor that was my dad's. Still has the original 6V battery system and generator on it. Most 8N's you come across were converted to 12V and an alternator long ago. I've got to replace the split tires and leaking rear axle seals. We have an active antique tractor club in my area that a friend of mine belongs to, so I'll probably get involved in that. Old stuff is hard to beat, right POP? :lol:

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JIM..I have a 9n ,since 1984,,was 6volt for several years ,,everyone said convert to 12 volts with a alt,so I did,,worst mistake .....but I kept the 6volt stuff and it will go back on !! AT least I never changed the headlights over to 12 volts.......Back in the early 70's ,I converted my 1947 cj2a willys jeep to 12 volt,I took the starter to a Starter/Generator shop for a rebuild if needed be ,,they told me to leave it 6volt ,believe it or not .they said it would last longer and start better,,starter man said ,hell ,you ain't gonna crank on it til the battary dies,you'll bump the starter button and if it don't start right up ,you'll lift the hood and find out why it won't start,,so it was left 12 volt and I had that jeep way over 12 or so years ,,the only time it failed was when I tried to cross a creek and water came up nearly over the head,,everything was floating inside the old jeep,I made it but it got the starter so wet it wouldn't crank so had to push start it ,day or so later I pulled it off and took it apart and dryed it out ,put it back together and BING-O,,she worked like new again....OH my 9n has the road gear in it...works like a 2speed axle in a big truck,only it's a lever on the left side of the tranny houseing,,it even works in reverse,,so it has 6forward gears and 2 back ups sorta to speak.....later pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:JIM..I have a 9n ,since 1984,,was 6volt for several years ,,everyone said convert to 12 volts with a alt,so I did,,worst mistake .....but I kept the 6volt stuff and it will go back on !! AT least I never changed the headlights over to 12 volts.......Back in the early 70's ,I converted my 1947 cj2a willys jeep to 12 volt,I took the starter to a Starter/Generator shop for a rebuild if needed be ,,they told me to leave it 6volt ,believe it or not .they said it would last longer and start better,,starter man said ,hell ,you ain't gonna crank on it til the battary dies,you'll bump the starter button and if it don't start right up ,you'll lift the hood and find out why it won't start,,so it was left 12 volt and I had that jeep way over 12 or so years ,,the only time it failed was when I tried to cross a creek and water came up nearly over the head,,everything was floating inside the old jeep,I made it but it got the starter so wet it wouldn't crank so had to push start it ,day or so later I pulled it off and took it apart and dryed it out ,put it back together and BING-O,,she worked like new again....OH my 9n has the road gear in it...works like a 2speed axle in a big truck,only it's a lever on the left side of the tranny houseing,,it even works in reverse,,so it has 6forward gears and 2 back ups sorta to speak.....later pop
correction...the starter was left 6 volt ...I had the number 12 on the mind...thanks POP...glad I reread the post....sorry
pop/glenda

ncgalax

Post by ncgalax »

Wow guys, I am impressed with the tractor love here. I have found a good group to help with my Comet for sure! I am also a member of the Antique Tractor Forum. If you have never been there it is filled with wonderful people as well.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hey Pop,ncgalax.......I know this isn't a tractor forum, but....one of the issues I have with the 8N is that the coolant looks like a butterscotch milkshake. There's no water in the crank case, but there must me a leak somewhere forcing oil into the cooling system. Someone told me it could be a bad head gasket, but the engine runs fine. Any ideas?
Jim

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

It is possible to have a head gasket to cooling system leak without coolant being able to make it into the crank. Turns the coolant milky and smells of exhaust.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Hey Pop,ncgalax.......I know this isn't a tractor forum, but....one of the issues I have with the 8N is that the coolant looks like a butterscotch milkshake. There's no water in the crank case, but there must me a leak somewhere forcing oil into the cooling system. Someone told me it could be a bad head gasket, but the engine runs fine. Any ideas?
Jim
open the radiator & start it. with it running,watch the coolant for little bubbles. if it bubbles it's most likely a head gasket or something cracked, like a head/block.
Johno