Looking at '64 comet coupe

Let everyone know a little about yourself
david.randall

Looking at '64 comet coupe

Post by david.randall »

Folks,

My parents had a '64 Comet before I was born, and it was my Mom's favourite car. Today I found a '64 coupe without an engine but in very restorable condition; I can get it for a couple hundred dollars.

It was originally a straight-6, but I want to put in a 289. I don't know much about Fords, and I need to know what needs to be changed for the v8 (for example, Darts and Dusters need a different K-frame to switch from a six to an eight). Also, it has an auto tranny, and I want a manual; how difficult is this?

Thanks in advavnce,

Dave Randalll
BC, Canada

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Welcome to the forum Dave.

People put V-8s in all the time, most of the changes are front-end parts and someone who has done it can give a complete run down of things needed, it is all bolt in stuff, some guys just run the 6 cyl suspension without any trouble and just swap out springs.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

64 Comet Coupe

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

David;to swap in a V-8 you will need the frame mounts,intermediate mounts and engine mounts,all are available new through various suppliers.You can get by with the 6 cylinder steering but should swap to a V-8 rearend.The stick conversion will need a pedal assembly for a stick,60-65 Falcon or Comet will fit,and you need the frame pivot and block pivot ball and the bell crank-Zbar,which is available new.The bell crank is engine specific and year specific,63-64 used a longer shaft than the 65 & up.Welcome to the site,there is alot of info here. ROY
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

david.randall

Decided to keep it a six

Post by david.randall »

I've decided to keep this beasty a six, but I'm going to put in a manual tranny. That'll keep everything easier, and I don't need the eight.

Thanks again,

Dave

rditz

Post by rditz »

Building up the 6 will make it so much different than everyone else... there is a Ford performance web site that will help you with that...

enjoy...

rod
66 Comet Capri 2dr hdtp - Cyclone Hood, 302, T5, Flat Black, TuTone Red Interior