Loman's '65 race car

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
loman

Re: Loman's '65 race car

Post by loman »

Mock up looks ok. Just have to install axle bearing and reassembly can begin.

loman

Post by loman »

Finally had a chance the other day to reassemble. Slid the axles in, connected all the 4 link bars, new brake pads and lining, put the drums on, go to put the wheels on and they won't go all the way on the studs. WTF? :x . After a lot of cussing, pulled the axle back out trying to see what the issue is. Took my old broken axle with studs still in it and it slides right onto the wheel. Take the new axle and try it again on the wheel and it won't go all the way through and gets hung up on the shoulders of the wheel studs. Finally figured out that the brand new studs are effed up and weren't machined straight. I took my old bolts from my broken axles and put them on the new axles and the axle fits up on the wheel the way it should. Put the new studs on the old broken axle and bam, they don't fit. Who would have ever thought.

loman

Post by loman »

So went back to the guy who ordered my axles. He contacted the axle manufacturer. They said they had received some bad studs from one of their suppliers and they would send new ones. Received the new ones. Installed them. One axle now fits the wheel and the other still does not. Loaded everything up on the truck and went back to the guy who ordered them and showed him that 1 axle was not drilled correctly. After some comparing, he agreed and is going to contact the manufacturer on Monday. I ordered axles at the beginning of December and still don't have them. This is ridiculous.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Have you tried Moser Engineering in Portland Indiana?

https://www.moserengineering.com/
When I built the Winter’s 9” I calculated the overall width needed to fit the tires under the car, built the axle tubes to length then called Moser. I was going to Portland for a vintage scooter event so I stopped at Moser on a Thursday morning, they measured the housing, and on Friday afternoon I picked up the axles and headed home. They are good people to work with.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I too found Moser to be great to deal with.
But Roy Pool busted one of their "good," axles and tore up a 1/4 panel so he wasn't a fan,,,,
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

loman

Post by loman »

I've thought about Moser and I might end up calling them. Strange already has my $$ for this effed up set. So hopefully they make it right, and quickly. If not, the other set I have on order for the other car, which I haven't paid for yet might get cancelled. Then I'd call Moser or Mark Williams.

loman

Post by loman »

Well I received a new axle today and all is good now. I got the bearings and studs installed and put the axles back in the car. Got the brakes adjusted close, will probably need a little more adjustment later. Now I just need to get the diagonal link bar installed and tighten all the 4 link bolt and install driveshaft. Oh yeah, need to pour in some gear oil also.

loman

Post by loman »

Got everything buttoned up and drove up and down the driveway. Everything seems to be good. Just need to readjust the brakes some more but I will do that later. Need to put this car in the corner and get working on the other car.