Let me start!!!!!!!!

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
SASSY

Re: Let me start!!!!!!!!

Post by SASSY »

Well it's Jack Stand time again.
Lots to do this winter both maintenance and modification.
Motor is leaking oil.
Gonna replace the idler bushing with some bearings.
Trans needs an oil change.
Rear gear is making some noise, hoping it's pinion bearings so I don't have to pull the carrier. They have gotten real heavy lately!
Probably rear brakes, need a light on the ebrake!!
More interior work including a new console and stereo.
Want to polish more under the hood
and the wheels need some elbow greese.
We'll see how far I get,,,,,
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

That’s a good winter hibernation list Fred! Get to work!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Thanks for the inspiration, Fred :D Working up to a valve adjustment today :lol:
A set of Cal Custom cover fasteners would help my feelings tremendously :? Every solid lifter engine needs 'em!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Started at the oil pan. There's a crack in a spot I welded so out it came but man what a fight! No gasket just sealant and stuck.
Had to resort to an air hammer with the chisel ground like a wood chisel and low air pressure, still bent the lip a bit.
Thought the front seal was toast but went to pull the balancer found this! Thank goodness the part in the crank wasn't tight.
At least the seal surface is fine.
After some investigative reading it was stated the bolt is a one time use item, I got off lucky it didnt hurt angthing else.
Seeing as I had to drop the steering to pull the pan seemed like a good time pull the idler, press the bearing out and take z few measurements.
Also drained the trans and rearend.
Feet up coffee time!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Yikes, Fred! :shock:

Didn't take boring pictures of valve adjustment. Did lock up my left knee clutching to take a ride to check it out. :? No smoke off the headers and she sounds and runs smoother. Need new set of rocker nuts soon. Mine are a bit fatigued. Some are loosing grip.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Wow Fred you sure dont waste any time getting started! & I'm still doing yardwork , house work, & even shop work. :roll:

Boy weird that it was loose up in there. big luck ! better go buy lotto tickets you're hot! :D Maybe it got loose & was partially backed out ? :?
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ya big happy it was loose!
Garage is a mess! Easier to get to the other side of the car on a creeper than walk but had to tear it apart or would of sat till January.
Went back out tonight. Pulled the driveshaft and pinion. It doesn't look bad but dont think there is enough drag on the bearings. Then rotated a wheel back n forth, man the spiders look like a bunch a drunks sitting around a high table on bar stools! Lol It's gonna have to come out😣
Pulled the wheels the shoes look good. Had a hellava time with one axle had to hack together a slide hammer to get it out,,, oh ya forgot, it was coated in sealant the oring bearing didn't seal.
I'll get after the center section tomorrow.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

So after a bit a searching I decided to drop the needle bearing setup and go with roller bearings.
So a quick trip to town and 26$ later had a couple bearings.
6202-10s to be accurate.
They fit the shaft nicely but are about .100 larger od than the bushing, so, some machining was in order.
I decided on some highend hackery as opposed to doing what anyone else would.
Worked out real well. Held the bearing on the end of the bushing housing with a clamp and scribed around it.
Mounted the arm in a small machine vice installed a carbide bit in the drill press and slowly cut a 1/16 or so deep groove in the arm checking for fit against the bearing lots. Once I had the fit I lowered the cutter and used the upper cut to show my fitment. One end came out real nice right away the other end made me work for it but in the end both beaings have a slight press fit!!
Found an old piece a pipe to make the bearing spacers out of
and although Bob isn't my uncle but is a good friend, done.
So for $26 Cdn and a couple hrs of good hackin same result as Opentracker's $250 unit which would end up costing me
$400 or more by the time I got it in my garage!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Check out the progress on the sequential taillights for Sassy in the bodyshop section.
https://youtu.be/yw2B66Vf0ao

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Awesome :D
Tom
tomb's 65

comethead

Post by comethead »

Geez I missed the idler bearing post…awesome job!!
And the tail lights look bitchin!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Fred love the lights! Good job on the idler!

every time I get in my car,hit my head & have to get just right to get in,just not as flexible as I use to be. & everytime it takes a few moments to get my head in & I think about seeing this back when you did it & always wished I would have done mine too. So now I have the seats out again I may do it.

Is that why you wanted your seat lower? were you bumping your head?
SASSY wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:35 am

I wanted the seat lower in the car which required the removeal of the raised area for the stock rear mount

Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Not actually. The bolsters are so big I found I have to plant my butt on the seat first then pivot around the bolster so I dont tear it up.
The floor mod was so I could get the back of the seat lower.
The power seat does some of it but not enough.
From my racing days I like to have whole seat tilted back. It supports the back better and places some of my weight thighs. My foot can just rest on the gas pedal while cruising and pedal work seems easier.
I know this is an exaggeration but the pic explains it.
More of a cradle than a chair.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Happy Birthday Fred!

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Boss, thankyou! No Fords damaged.