Let me start!!!!!!!!

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
StPro

Re: Let me start!!!!!!!!

Post by StPro »

So do you have the rear suspension carriage for the IRS? Is it Mark VIII or T Bird? Mark VIII had all aluminum lower control arms with air bags and aluminum center section. I took mine out of my Black Mark VIIII. I was putting in a 9" ford with ladder bars and coil overs. I know I still have some parts lying around.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I have the parts I need but thanks much for the thought
At the moment my plan is tubular arms and sub structure.
Mounted to the front leaf spring mounts and frame up in arch
so the car can be reverted to the 9 inch.

FRP composite mono leaf Vette rear leaf spring, shocks?
Challenge is I want it 50 inches mount face to mount face!
I want to maintain present wheels, appearance.
Hoping for 3 inches bump travel but the cv boots will be about touching each other so I have to build at least one side shortened halfshaft and test range of movement.
Fred
Last edited by SASSY on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

StPro

Post by StPro »

I remember when the Cobras with IRS were drag racing and breaking CV shafts there were several companies selling shafts any length you wanted. That was my biggest concern racing the Mark VIII was breaking half shafts. The Mark VIII would only run low 12's. I was afraid that if I put in a high stall converter with a trans break I would need stock in an axle company. Found out the shafts in the Lincoln were smaller so they could twist without breaking.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Ya if I had big power and was drag racing I wouldn't be building an IRS. But 210ish hp and no intetest in going drag racing with it, should be fine. IRS in the Comet is just about being different.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well I haven't found the enthusiasm to work on the interior even though the upholstery shop is back working so I assume my buckets will get a turn.
But I have been piddling on the IRS. I was waiting for a friend of a friend who has lathe to cut the axle but turns out it's too hard for the tooling he has to cut it, something about needing a ceramic cutter todo it,,, so I took it home put it in the chop saw and wacked 6.5 inches off it! Clamped it into a piece of heavy angle iron and put a couple tacks on it, now at least I can check to see if the thing is even close to working.

I made up this very simple set of control arms to check the travel limits of the rather short axle.
My 9inch is 51.125" wide and I built these arms for one side of the suspension which would be 50.5" complete.
My goal for suspension travel was 3 inches of bump and rebound, so 6 inches of travel.
Travel is almost 7 inches to bind on narrower than required total width so WIN!
Next job is to work out the correct length and install height of the arms and build slighter better pair for final test.
From what I've read Herb Adams suspension book has some answers for roll center, camber gain etc.
Guess I'll have to phone some axle shops to see how far up my arm I have to cut it off to pay for them,, lol.
Fred

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Had Sassy out for the first time this year yesterday.
Interior is far from done but the crusing season is short enough let alone waiting months for seats.
Took a bunch a pics but these are the only decent ones.
Fred

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

The seats look good. is there a bottom on the rear seat?

Still impressed that the rear seat fits so well.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Mike, just the seat back, panels covered with carpet on the floor. The back folds down onto carpet for a pass through trunk. It's not done but I'll throw up a couple pics when I figure out how to photograph black interiors!!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

What are the seats out of? I'm sure you probably said earlier, but I'm too lazy to go back and look. :roll:

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:59 pm
What are the seats out of? I'm sure you probably said earlier, but I'm too lazy to go back and look. :roll:

Jim
Same car as the motor less headrests,,
'89 Cougar XR7
Mike,
The rear seat area

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:28 am
Mike,
The rear seat area
That is cool, I am leaving my rear seat out but it will probably look like a cheap version of Jim's (A/FX) Cyclone :roll: I intend to put removable panels held in place with Dzus fasteners and would like to use aluminum plates as a firewall if I can find some cheap plate, going to do the lower seat area like a tray to hold suitcases and ice chests for traveling (probably incorporate some tie-down points), of course, my console is going to extend all the way back and up to the package tray (planned too)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:16 am
Fred Your preferences I have always thought are similar to mine, as well as the ''use what ya got'' mentality. Although I chicken out lots of times. I had a similar idea for my seats & although my mock up appealed to me I thought it might not end up like I wanted price wise at the upholstery shop so I didnt do them. but after I made the car handle so much better on curves I was wishing I had kept the seat bolster idea on every fast corner. I bet they hold you in place a lot better!! :) Your Interior looks great !! I love the fold down rear seat! it's like having a little truck with a bedcover! :P
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Thanks guys, like I said tons a stuff to be done yet but it can wait till there is snow on the ground!!
Yes the bolsters are awesome in the corners,, Marilyn doesn't end up in my lap though,, :shock: :mrgreen:, but they do make enter and exit of the car an exercise.
The white stitching was my mistake and will be blackened.
The people who did the seats were in over their head
on these. Upholster said she had never seen such a complicated seat, but I do expect they will smooth out with some heat and use.
Fred

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I just finished reading this thread complete. Took me three and I was very intrigued. Interesting build completely out of the box. Congratulations to you and your car.It is a fine example of what hot rodding a rare classic should be.
Cheers --------DR------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Thanks much DR.
Continually working on it over many years allows attitudes and ideas to change. So now I've got a car that sorta looks Prostreet but not, handles sorta like a Protour but not, late model power,,, but it's over 30 years old so not,,, kinda hard to define,,,,,, but it's still red!! Lol
Fred