Let me start!!!!!!!!

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
poboyjo65

Re: Let me start!!!!!!!!

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:00 am
LOL EXACTLY!
I use a plumb bob to set toe.
how does that go? mark the floor & measure between marks? do you use a straight edge across the tire,or ?
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Yes ,mark the floor and measure. That way I get full tire dia at mark so true toe.
Everything is so tight around the wheel and the chassis low this was the way I came up with and a grove in the tire tread made it very repeatable.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:00 am
I use a plumb bob to set toe.
That's a great tip if you're working alone :idea:
We used to use a handle out of shop broom and a marker when had a helper.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Realized I'm no longer capable of wrestling that lump back in there so I came up with this.
It travels around the shop well, the center is secure on it and the pad is a little floppy to ease alignment onto the mount bolts.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Fred MacGyver! :wink:

Jim

pfleuret

Post by pfleuret »

That’s a great idea.
Pat

1963 1/2 S-22 260/4spd

loman

Post by loman »

I like it. I have something similar. I made mine with an angle in front that I place a 1/4 bolt thru with nut to hold the pumpkin onto the pad.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

loman wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:53 am
I like it. I have something similar. I made mine with an angle in front that I place a 1/4 bolt thru with nut to hold the pumpkin onto the pad.
Mine is a little more like loman's,take the cup off the jack & bolt to jack then I put one of the little ubolts thru it to one side of the yoke;

Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I like the idea of bolting to the ujoint,,, upgrade! Lol

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Fred I made the holes a little big & used one of the little ubolts so it would have a little wiggle room,,, like yours has :wink: I think you could just bolt something to the yoke big enough so it cant come back thru the hole, would do the same thing . But we were all three definitely on same path ! :lol:
Johno

loman

Post by loman »

Like Poboy said, a little wiggle room. That wiggle room is a lifesaver and makes the job a whole lot easier.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

loman wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:22 pm
Like Poboy said, a little wiggle room. That wiggle room is a lifesaver and makes the job a whole lot easier.
You know when I looked at yours I thought I bet he had to loosen those bolts up when he was trying to get it in. My first try I just had a flat platform -this pc of alum,,, & it got in the way so I knew it needed to hang off it so on round 2 I bent up the edge to bolt to yoke & drilled a second hole in the base so the chunk could hang off it.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Been tough this winter for me. First the knee replacement and though it went well and am happy with it I was pretty much a couch potato for a while. Once I got going I over did it and ended up with carpal tunnel BAD in both hands, practically an invalid so useless.
Got them shot full a steroids and have surgery booked but at least now I can do a bit.
Bought a new pair a tires for the front. Going from 185/60-14 on 6"s to 205/50-15 on 7"s. 1" more back space and 1" wider tire but same overall diameter so shouldn't interfere with the fender and still lots a room inside.