Loman's '65 race car

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
loman

Re: Loman's '65 race car

Post by loman »

I realized 3 different project on one thread was a bad idea. So Mike did me a favor and renamed this thread. Thanks Mike! I will make this thread for my black 65 race car. I already have a thread going for the 390 car and whenever I start working on the white car again, I'll start a new thread for it. Thanks again Mike.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MIKE'S,a pretty good king-pin..... 8) :wink: ….pop
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

Good luck bad luck continues. Went to the local chassis builder where I originally bought brake pedal. They had never seen a pedal brake like mine did. The guy at the counter had to call a couple other people up front and show them my brake and they were all surprised. Anyway, the original part # was replaced with something else. They pulled out the new one and it was exactly the same other than cast aluminum bracket was painted black. I bought and installed it. Might make a stronger one later. Tested the brakes the best I could in the driveway which isn't much of a test and everything seems normal. 10 minutes later underneath the car in the shop I see a trail of water. The best I can locate the leak is between the timing chain cover and the block. Retightened everything but that didn't help. So it looks like I'm pulling the front of the motor apart. Bad luck = water leak, good luck it happened in the shed and not on the track where it could cause something bad. We didn't take the motor apart this winter, but it might be time to do another once over the whole car.

loman

Post by loman »

I replaced the gaskets and then added water. I had the same leak at the same spot between the timing cover and block as before. So we took everything apart a second time replaced gaskets again and I used a different timing chain cover that I had on another motor. This time everything sealed up, so we started the car and built some heat and pressure in the engine and everything seems ok now. We will check everything again 1 more time and if all is good we will reinstall diaper and front end and hopefully go racing this weekend and test the new brake pedal assembly. Fingers crossed.

loman

Post by loman »

It's been awhile since I've been here so here is a little update. I think my leak issue has been finally solved. I ended up buying a new water pump and a new water pump backing plate. I couldn't see it but somehow water was leaking through the old somewhat rusty backing plate and passing through the mid plate and the timing chain cover and seeping out the weep hole back between timing chain cover and block. I've only been racing once since replacing it and it seems to be finally fixed. And there hasn't been no water on the floor in the shop.
I couldn't believe that the factory water pump purchased at any of the parts stores doesn't come with new backing plate. They couldn't even get it. I had to purchase through aftermarket speed shops.

loman

Post by loman »

We finished up winterizing the black car for the year. Did a leakdown and compression check and everything seems to be ok. Depending on how much it gets raced next year, it might be time for a teardown and inspection. So we put some antifreeze in it and parked it in the corner. The only thing I need to do is buy a new gasket for the fuel cell. If I get a wild hair I might look at putting in an oil accumulator but we will wait and see.

poboyjo65

Re: My stable of ongoing Comet projects

Post by poboyjo65 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:51 am
Imagephoto upload sites
Imagephoto upload sites
Imagephoto upload sites

Some from the gathering.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here it is Mike ! look at page 1.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:55 pm
Here it is Mike ! look at page 1.
I have seen the car just not anything new, Loman was talking about how he was working on it again :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

loman

Post by loman »

Haven't been on here as much the last couple of years, but still lurking around. I took the black car out in August for the first time in a couple of years and on the 3rd pass we had some issues. Here is the end result of those issues.

sidenote - this is the first pic I have used the postimage site, I like it.

loman

Post by loman »

So now I have bought a new 35 spline spool center section for this car. I'm just waiting on the axles which have been on order since the beginning of December. The 31 spline spool will end up in the 390 car when I put a 9" in it this winter.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Holy twisted splines! You found the weak spot in your driveline. Must really be hooking hard.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

It amazes me how those piddlely little ujoints can handle more force than that axle!
I did a similar job on a 28 spline about an inch out from the spline, had a hella've time getting the pumpkin out.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

SASSY wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:09 am
It amazes me how those piddlely little ujoints can handle more force than that axle!
I did a similar job on a 28 spline about an inch out from the spline, had a hella've time getting the pumpkin out.
I doubt the u joint ever felt anything on this pull . :lol:
Johno

loman

Post by loman »

Finally received my 35 spline axles yesterday. Going to double check everything and reassembly can begin.