Loman's '65 race car

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
gmsnowball

Re: My stable of ongoing Comet projects

Post by gmsnowball »

My 64 202 my wife wants me to rat rod. After stripping, priming and painting the engine bay, under floors and suspension, installing new brake wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware, nickel copper alloy brake lines all I have to do is install the dual bowl master cylinder, the 1968 200 CI engine and decide what transmission to use. I have a 2 speed that came with the Comet, another 2 speed from my 65 Ranchero or a 3 speed from my 64 Ranchero that was mated to a 302. It will look clean and neat under the hood and under body but just a bit shabby on the outside. That's what she want's so I'll be her Huckelberry. Hopefully she will tire of it soon and I can finish the body work and paint install new interior and make it my daily driver.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

chendrick

Post by chendrick »

Looks great. What did you use to strip the engine bay?

loman

Post by loman »

Nothing to exciting, but I finished the brackets for the trans cooler.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_1652.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1652.jpg (53.27 KiB) Viewed 6277 times
thumbnail_IMG_1650.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1650.jpg (55.76 KiB) Viewed 6277 times

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

chendrick wrote:Looks great. What did you use to strip the engine bay?

Spot blasted all corners and crevices, used a small angle sander and DA sander on alll the large flat areas. In all it took several days but it was well worth it. Shot two coats of primer under two coats of Eastwoods under hood satin black paint. I was surprised that there was no rust anywhere in the engine bay or underneath. I consider it very lucky.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

loman

Post by loman »

I got my lifters back from Comp Cams and installed them along with the intake.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_1672.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1672.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 6241 times

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Loman what tires did you put on the back of the so called slow car? I looked at your pictures you posted of your tire clearance and they looked like drag radials. Andy

loman

Post by loman »

Andy,
Those tires are Mickey Thompson ET streets. P235/60r15.

caseville cyclone

Thanks Loman,I'm going to get some ET streets for my Comet. I'm going to get P255/60R/15 for my car. I had 28X10.5X15 Pro Sportsmans on the rear but they were just barely hitting the outer wheelwell. The M/T specs said the center section was 11.2 but measured 11.7 on my eight and a half inch Centerline Convo Pro wheels with 3 and 3 eights back spacing. The M/T radials specs say 10.1 center section,so they should fit real well even they come out less than 10.5 to even 11 inches mounted. How's that black car coming,did you get your engine back in? Andy

loman

Post by loman »

I see that i haven't updated this thread in a while. Motor is back in the black car and ready for a couple of test runs.
I did a compression and leak down check on the truck 390 and she is needing some work. I went ahead and pulled the 390 motor and trans from the truck and ordered a shock tower kit from Crites.

loman

Post by loman »

I threw my old set of 26" tall front skinnies on some rims and stuck them on my other car. I think they look a bit to small on the car and would look better if they were 28" tall. However the price was right.
Attachments
front wheels.jpg
front wheels.jpg (33.39 KiB) Viewed 6092 times

loman

Post by loman »

I've been wanting to relocate my switches to the roll bar for some time now. Well, I finally dived in. I removed the dash Friday night and started labeling and moving the wiring yesterday. As I'm working, I think of new things I should do while I have the wiring apart and dash out.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2200.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2200.jpg (23.17 KiB) Viewed 5964 times
thumbnail_IMG_2202.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2202.jpg (25.79 KiB) Viewed 5964 times

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

loman wrote:..........As I'm working, I think of new things I should do while I have the wiring apart and dash out.
:) I always think of other things to do while I am working on a car. I tape a piece of poster paper (sometimes couple wide pieces of masking tape) to the windshield or side glass on the car I am working on. This way I can write some notes, keep a list on my thoughts right on the car.

Lou

loman

Post by loman »

I got the switch panel mounted and the wires ran to it today. Next will be cleaning up the wiring behind the dash.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2204.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2204.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
thumbnail_IMG_2204.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2204.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
thumbnail_IMG_2205.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2205.jpg (18 KiB) Viewed 5945 times

caseville cyclone

Looks good Loman real nice and neat,my son did the same thing in his 84 mustang,as a matter of fact his electronics plate on the passenger side of his car also looks like yours. Having your switches mounted on roll bar will be real convenient. Again nice job! Andy

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Lou's Comet wrote:
loman wrote:..........As I'm working, I think of new things I should do while I have the wiring apart and dash out.
:) I always think of other things to do while I am working on a car. I tape a piece of poster paper (sometimes couple wide pieces of masking tape) to the windshield or side glass on the car I am working on. This way I can write some notes, keep a list on my thoughts right on the car.

Lou
Good idea. I stole a dry erase board from my wife a few years ago for just this reason.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!