Loman's '65 race car

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
popscomet

Re: My stable of ongoing Comet projects

Post by popscomet »

lavron wrote:
loman wrote:There is a track in southwest Mo that twice a year they have a day they call Ride Along Friday.
Where? And if you do it, and it is close I would try to come see you run.

See Ya,
Mike
POP could come to that and get to see both of you,,and have a get away wk end,,,let me know when and where..you just never know where POP may make an apperance :shock: 8) thanks pop
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

Mike, I have never been there, but the track is in Rogersville. I'll let you and Pop know when the time gets closer if we are going to try to make it. The date would be in May.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

loman wrote:I have never been there, but the track is in Rogersville
Been there many a time, it is further away from me now but we used to go often when we lived down there.

Have not been in several years but it was an 1/8 mile track back when we were going.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

and may is my birth month,,,so just maybe you 2 can celebrate POP's 71st with me...….stranger things has happened :shock: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: thanks OL POP
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

I tore into the car this morning and started disassembling for the passenger seat that I'm going to install. I got the new metal tack welded in for the seat mount. Next up is fabricating the harness mounting point and seat back brace.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2324.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2324.jpg (27.06 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
thumbnail_IMG_2325.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2325.jpg (25.58 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
thumbnail_IMG_2326.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2326.jpg (26.55 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
thumbnail_IMG_2327.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2327.jpg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 5492 times

loman

Post by loman »

I made some tabs and brackets to finish mounting the passenger seat last night. There is no refrigerator in my shop, so i spent a lot of time last night walking back and forth for another beer. I woke up today with an :idea: . I should get more done today, less walking with my new temporary cooler outside of my shop door. Another good use for a hole saw.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2338.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2338.jpg (34.55 KiB) Viewed 5445 times

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Just another fabrication project. I suppose you just installed those for mock-up. Won't be in there for long, right? :wink: :lol:

Jim

loman

Post by loman »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Just another fabrication project. I suppose you just installed those for mock-up. Won't be in there for long, right? :wink: :lol:

Jim
Well that ended up being a short lived project. Sun came out today and made it to the 40's and it melted away. So Jim, you are correct, they were not in there long. But I'll be ready the next time I get some more ice.

loman

Post by loman »

I finally got the bottom of the passenger seat mount welded in today. I also made the seat back brace and the shoulder harness bracket. Hopefully I can get the welding done this week and start putting the car back together. 6 weeks to test n tune, 8 weeks to race season.

loman

Post by loman »

I was able to finish welding everything today and sprayed a little paint over the welds. Before I put everything back I'm going to try to angle my MSD box a little to make the 2 step and rev limiter dials more accessible. They are a pain to adjust. My eyes ain't what they used to be and its hard to see those little dial switches.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2369.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2369.jpg (24.84 KiB) Viewed 5327 times

loman

Post by loman »

Productive evening. I finally got everything back together and installed the seat. I have a little tidying up to do but that is about it. I also got the MSD box angled a bit and I think that will help out a lot. I'll try to remember to get a picture of that tomorrow.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2385.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2385.jpg (27.16 KiB) Viewed 5275 times

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I like it !! pop
pop/glenda

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Looking good Loman. Can't wait to see it in person. Maybe in PF? Just wondering if you will be able to make it this year or will you be racing that weekend? Sure would like to see you. I got some fruit juice we need to dispose of. I know how you like that stuff. Pop I'll even have some for you and JL, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

loman

Post by loman »

Thanks Pugs! Not sure about PF yet. I haven't looked at the racing schedules for this year.
Here is the picture of the standoffs to my MSD box mount that put it on an angle and created better accessibility to the switches. I'm hoping today to reconnect all the electrical stuff that I undid prior to welding and make sure everything is good. I want to make sure no welding sparks burned thru anything that might cause an issue like my air hose. I went to use the air hose the other day and I had a major leak in it a couple feet from the end. It was under the car a couple of times while welding and it looks like something very hot burned through it.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2398.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2398.jpg (21.8 KiB) Viewed 5202 times

loman

Post by loman »

Got everything wired back up and attempted to start the car. It fired up and ran for a second then died and wouldn't refire. I have a fuse inline with the MSD box and it was blown. Replaced fuse, started car, it ran for a second again and then died. Blown fuse again. Turns out i reconnected the MSD wire to the wrong circuit that had a 4 amp fuse :oops: . Moved wire back to where it should have been and the car fired up and ran. I only ran it for a minute because there is no coolant in it. At least now, I think everything should be good.