Original Calif Black and Yellow Plates

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
Comechero65

Original Calif Black and Yellow Plates

Post by Comechero65 »

I spotted a fairly new truck with repo orignal style 60's black and yellow Calif plates. I like the black and yellow plates as they just look right on a 63 to 70 car but just don't look right on a new car. Just not period correct. :x

Mine:
Ron

popscomet

Re: Original Calif Black and Yellow Plates

Post by popscomet »

I GOT THE BLACK AND YELLOW CALF PLATES WITH MY comet when I bought it way back in the early 90's....don't know what I ever did with them,,,hopefully they are still over at my old shop....but I doubt it,in fact I don't even know why I'd care ,,other then giving them to someone that lives there......and that I would do !! one day I'll go over there and search....if I find them ,I'll post it....POP
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

popscomet wrote:I GOT THE BLACK AND YELLOW CALF PLATES WITH MY comet when I bought it way back in the early 90's....don't know what I ever did with them,,,hopefully they are still over at my old shop....but I doubt it,in fact I don't even know why I'd care ,,other then giving them to someone that lives there......and that I would do !! one day I'll go over there and search....if I find them ,I'll post it....POP
Pops, if they have been unregistered for more than 10 years they are out of the system here in Calif which means they are 'clear' as the term goes. that means they are eligible to be reused on a different car. If you find them post them for sale as they are worth money and people here are always looking for them. If they have a year sticker on them for the year someone wants to put them in then they are worth even more. they have to have an old sticker for the year someone wants to put them on.
I was fortunate I bought a set of plates many years ago that also had the sticker so that's what is on mine.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Ron you must have that sticker covered up, all I see is a 63 in the upper right.

This car was at our cruise in a year or 2 ago, had one on the front but a Tn. antique auto plate on back. I guess it could have come with the car but I just figured it was from ebay. Isn't there a chart or something to know if it was possible to have been issued to the car when new?
Imageimage upload free
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

poboyjo65 wrote:Ron you must have that sticker covered up, all I see is a 63 in the upper right.

This car was at our cruise in a year or 2 ago, had one on the front but a Tn. antique auto plate on back. I guess it could have come with the car but I just figured it was from ebay. Isn't there a chart or something to know if it was possible to have been issued to the car when new?
The sticker goes on the rear plate only. All black and yellow plates have a 63 stamped in the upper right corner which was the first year for the plates. The rear gets covered up by the stickers. Mine were early as it had a 64 sticker under the stack of stickers that were on it. So that means mine were either first issued for the 64 year but could have been for the 63 year originally. So in essence mine are older than the ranchero itself.
Obviosly that comet had the black and yellow ca plates and the guy kept the front plate on it. If by chance that is the original plate on that car, then that could put my plates close or within 5 months of that one. The guy was obviously proud of the plate and wanted others to know it was a ca car. Wonder if he drove it that way or just put that one on for the show. You can't drive here with mixed plates. And we are required to have a front plate. Though we have owned two different cars with the front plate not mounted and just stuck on the dash in the windshield so it can be seen. Never wanted to mess up the bumper by drilling holes to mount the plate. Never been questioned about it but could be.
There are no charts and no way to know what was on cars for each year though it can be estimated what letter sequences were used as the years progressed. They were kind of random sequences issued by various DMV's done in blocks. the plate on that comet is CZS so was somewhere in the vicinity of my plates so was probably issued about the same time as mine and could have even come from the same DMV.
Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

RON, thanks for the info..if I still have them for sure they have been un-reg'rd for way over 10yrs///if I can find them!!THEY will be posted.....thanks again.............pop
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

popscomet wrote:RON, thanks for the info..if I still have them for sure they have been un-reg'rd for way over 10yrs///if I can find them!!THEY will be posted.....thanks again.............pop
With or without a sticker they are still valuable to someone. Check on ebay and you can see what they go for.
I see a few singles on ebay which are basically worthless as you need 2 and you can't use reproductions (unless you know how to get away with it).
Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

In Tenn you only need to run a plate on the back, put what ever you want on front. there is also a law that says I can run period correct plates that are not registered to the car but an antique tag registered for that car has to be in the car for inspection if asked for by a law officer. Or I can register the period correct tag to the car. I chose to keep the antique tag & run a period tag since it would cost again to register it. this way if I see one I like better it wont cost to switch. I have the Tenn version of a black tag with cool numbers too!
Imageupload gif
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

poboyjo65 wrote:In Tenn you only need to run a plate on the back, put what ever you want on front. there is also a law that says I can run period correct plates that are not registered to the car but an antique tag registered for that car has to be in the car for inspection if asked for by a law officer. Or I can register the period correct tag to the car. I chose to keep the antique tag & run a period tag since it would cost again to register it. this way if I see one I like better it wont cost to switch. I have the Tenn version of a black tag with cool numbers too!
That gives you guys some versitility. We don't have anything like that. We have to run what is registered to it and no alternatives.
That is a cool plate but isn't that what we call a personallised plate? Not a state issued number is it? Anything other than a state issued sequence is classed as 'personallised' for us which you can order anything if not taken. but it can't be a sequence close to a state sequence.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

No it isnt a personal tag. I'm not sure what type it is, maybe some type of commercial ,but most of them were white with red letters. it is a 64 issue heavy metal plate, you can see a rust chip in it. Our regular tags were white with black letters & issued in 62 & got stickers each year up untill 66 when the next plate came out. for quite a few years our tags were shaped like Tenn ,up until the 60's when then went back to rectangular with TENN outlined with the state shape like mine. the draw back to having these tags are the rules for the antique tags is weekends only unless going to shows,parades or mechanic shop. but if you do your own work there is a lot of testing that must be done thru the week :lol: I've been meaning to make a copy of the law to keep in the car in case I run in to a young policeman that isnt up to date on all this :lol: .
Johno

The Transplanter

Post by The Transplanter »

Can you check the plates online with the DMV to see if they are "clear"

I would imagine there are a few over here in the UK nailed to workshop/garage walls that could probably be had cheap if they have a value over there!

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

For us in Calif there is a number in Sacramento to call to check if a plate is 'clear'. No way to do it online. If yoiu have a pair and they are clear someone will want them. But has to be a pair as one single is worthless.
Ron

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

In South Carolina, our tag law is kind of a blend between CA and TN. We can put anything we want on the front bumper, or nothing at all. The rear has to have the tag registered to the vehicle. I have a nice matched set of 65 SC plates (SC required front and rear plates until 1970), but numbers don't fall in a band that would allow me to register them to my car as "date of manufacture" plates, so I can't run the rear plate on the road. I have one of the 65 plates mounted on the front permanently. I got one of those magnetic tool storage bars for free with a coupon at Harbor Freight, cut it to length and glued it to the back of my registered aluminum antique vehicle plate. When I go to a gathering, I just stick my 65 rear plate over my antique vehicle plate and it looks like it's mounted there. The trick is remembering to remove it before heading home. :roll:
Jim

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:In South Carolina, our tag law is kind of a blend between CA and TN. We can put anything we want on the front bumper, or nothing at all. The rear has to have the tag registered to the vehicle. I have a nice matched set of 65 SC plates (SC required front and rear plates until 1970), but numbers don't fall in a band that would allow me to register them to my car as "date of manufacture" plates, so I can't run the rear plate on the road. I have one of the 65 plates mounted on the front permanently. I got one of those magnetic tool storage bars for free with a coupon at Harbor Freight, cut it to length and glued it to the back of my registered aluminum antique vehicle plate. When I go to a gathering, I just stick my 65 rear plate over my antique vehicle plate and it looks like it's mounted there. The trick is remembering to remove it before heading home. :roll:
Jim
That is always a way to display the plates you like by sticking them on at a show. Was something I considered till I got my approval for my YOM plates. Also had an alternative plan but never had to impliment it.
If you forget to remove it, it would take a real sharp eyed and knowledgable cop to spot the difference.
Ron

The Transplanter

Post by The Transplanter »

Comechero65 wrote:For us in Calif there is a number in Sacramento to call to check if a plate is 'clear'. No way to do it online. If yoiu have a pair and they are clear someone will want them. But has to be a pair as one single is worthless.
Ron
Does clear mean that the car hasnt been tagged for 10 years? As many of the cars we buy have normally been laid up for years already, and we just leave the plates on the cars when we flip them! Which are no good to the new owners apart from becoming wall art

And is this just for black & gold plates? And are the blue & gold sort after as well?