1963 Comet S22 Conv. project car concept

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
joed

1963 Comet S22 Conv. project car concept

Post by joed »

Well you can say this project has been going on for a very long time. Like everyone else time, money, life, kids etc. all seems to get in the way right after we start these projects. I have had this car since 1988 when I purchased it off a neighbor who bought it new. I drove it in HS and then in college. I was super happy with it and then BOOM! Back in like 2008 a guy named Chris Vetters put up a concept on one of these car sites of putting a 1960 falcon front end on a 1963 comet S22 convertible. He and his father started one of these back when he was in HS but never fished it. Needless to say I fell in love with it and the rest is history.

Once I had the bug it all started and lasted for about 5 years. Dismantled the whole car, put it on a homemade rotisserie (kids were young), it was cool because they worked on it with me through those years, swapped out the 170 and Dagenham for a 302/T5 and 8" rear end. I started collecting all the parts and then BOOM #2, we moved and the car sat idle for the next 13 years. A buddy and me started the project back up because my father in law said he wanted to see this done before he is dead. (said it as a joke).

Here are some pics from back in 2003-2008, then I took 2 steps backwards when Chris's concept came about and had to remove engine/transmission etc., then 3 steps forward recently and so on. I did have to get a radiator cowl (cut off 63 and replace with 60) hood, fenders, grill and rock guard etc. from a 60 Falcon I got a 1963 Valiant front bumper. I had to do some custom work as I am incorporating halo lights so cowl and grille needed to be trimmed.

I am in the test fitting stage and will be ready to weld it all together soon.
car in garage 1.jpg
car in garage 1.jpg (64.27 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Comet underside 1.jpg
Comet underside 1.jpg (62.97 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Engine on stand 1.jpg
Engine on stand 1.jpg (52.99 KiB) Viewed 638 times
comet central 1.jpg
comet central 1.jpg (73.41 KiB) Viewed 638 times
car with engine 1.jpg
car with engine 1.jpg (38.18 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Falcon front cowl placement 1.jpg
Falcon front cowl placement 1.jpg (64.11 KiB) Viewed 638 times
falcon front concept 1.jpg
falcon front concept 1.jpg (59.07 KiB) Viewed 638 times
comet black out with yellow tire and halo 1.jpg
comet black out with yellow tire and halo 1.jpg (30.85 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Joe
1963 Comet S-22 Convert

SASSY

Re: 1963 Comet S22 Conv. project car concept

Post by SASSY »

COOL! Looking forward to following along on your custom.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

joed

Post by joed »

Please don't be mad but I do like the falcon gauge cluster so I am using a little more of the falcon in this build.

I had already opened both holes to accommodate the RPM & Fuel gauges. Since I had a little time this weekend I took my solid silver aluminum face plate taped it off and painted it black. Here is also a semi finished look at what it will look like.

The last picture is me thinking that I could just modify my 63 comet radiator cowl to fit the 60 falcon fenders. I learned real quick that there was no way. Unfortunately I trimmed a little off the corners and cut out both headlight mounts.
Attachments
gauge face plate painted 1.jpg
gauge face plate painted 1.jpg (84.2 KiB) Viewed 474 times
gauge plate with gauges 2.jpg
gauge plate with gauges 2.jpg (90.6 KiB) Viewed 474 times
comet radiator cowl 1.jpg
comet radiator cowl 1.jpg (26.77 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Joe
1963 Comet S-22 Convert

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I always liked that 60 falcon grille. It is going to be cool.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yep gonna be cool & gonna be some head scratching ,,,even some seasoned ford guys....... :? now wait a minute....wth :?: :!:
Johno

joed

Post by joed »

Maybe there is a good reason why this project has spanned over so many years. When you look back and see how many different parts you have to buy or replace and how much these wonderful things costs, it will give you a heart attack. It also makes it a bit easier for the wife to accept it.

Over the years I have acquired a lot of parts but here are a few other vehicle makes and years:

1. A 74 ford maverick 8" rear end from a V8 one (after I took the rear end I told the junk yard I would be back for the 302 and some other parts but by the time I went back (a couple of weeks) they scrapped the whole dang car. I laid into them that they not only lost money but they said they wouldn't scrap it.)

2. A 302 from a 1971 Ford Torino. I have slightly modified it for a little more HP. Great story here is that the guy/body shop I bought it from thought it was a 289 because it had a 289 labeled air filter on it. I had looked up all the numbers and sure enough it was a 302. I ended up becoming friends with the owner years later and told him about it. He laughed and said that's what happens when you don't check things out yourself and said I got a pretty good deal.

3. A 1985 WC-T5 I believe from a 5.0 mustang

4. 1963 Valiant front bumper

5. CSRP front disc brake swap for my comet

I am certainly glad I purchased some of these parts way back in 2004-2008 because prices have almost doubled.

The project lives on!

Joe
Joe
1963 Comet S-22 Convert

joed

Post by joed »

Thanks to a guy over on the fordsix forum, he sent a link about how the Australian XP Falcon that has Comet front sheet metal. Well in one of those pics I seen a pretty neat idea with the exhaust tips and rear bumper.

I think I might have to use this idea.
Attachments
Exhaust tip bumper 1.jpg
Exhaust tip bumper 1.jpg (47.04 KiB) Viewed 338 times
Joe
1963 Comet S-22 Convert

joed

Post by joed »

Does anyone have an idea if there is a front valance/stone guard that resembles this one out there. I cant seem to find one that looks like this that I might be able to use.

Joe
Attachments
front end Valance.jpg
front end Valance.jpg (35.14 KiB) Viewed 231 times
Joe
1963 Comet S-22 Convert

joed

Post by joed »

Well, the work continues on. I finally welded on the 1960 falcon radiator support BUT since this project was on hold for like 13+ years I kind of forget all the things I replaced and all the things I was going to replace.
1960 falcon front end welded on 1.jpg
1960 falcon front end welded on 1.jpg (74.69 KiB) Viewed 146 times

Thinking I was ready to drop the engine back in I went back and was looking at some notes and receipts and realized I hadn't completed the total V8 steering swap. I thought I did because all the parts were new but realized it was all new 6 cylinder steering parts. At that time I didn't plan on swamping in the 302.

So this weekend I plan on installing the new V8 stuff (idler arm, pitman, center link, inner/outer tie rods and sleeves). What threw me was that I had already changed some of the bigger V8 stuff already: sway bar, sway bar links, strut rods, lower & front cross member and disc brakes,

Like they say: 2 steps forward 1 step back.

At least there is progress.
Joe
1963 Comet S-22 Convert

joed

Post by joed »

Well that was a bust. I went to install everything thinking it was all good to go with the new parts and POW what do you know, they didn't match?

I had ordered new 1965 V8 pitman arm, idler arm, idler arm bracket and manual steering center link from falconparts.com and the 1965 V8 tie rods and sleeves from a-resto parts.

Well the tie rods didn't fit the center link nor the the spindle.

Problem:
1. Inner tie rod knuckle shaft was a smaller diameter and was to long
2. Outer tie rod wasn't even close to fit as I realized the CSRP disk brake set up & spindles I did back in 2008 was based on a Granada.

Hopeful solution:
1. I ordered the 1965 V8 inner tie rods and sleeves from Falconpart.com that fit their center link.
2. I ordered the outer tie rods from CSRP that fit the Granada spindle and adapts to the 1965 V8 mustang sleeve and inner tie rod

One good thing that came out of this is that the guy from Falcon Parts said do not reinstall the steering parts until the engine is back in and sitting on the ground so it all fits and can be adjusted properly. He was telling me that he gets calls everyday from customers saying the sleeves are to short. well everyone who calls either has car on jack stands or has the engine out which makes it seem like they are to short. (I didn't realize that.

I will tell you that the backyard car customizer like myself is definitely not for the weak.

Let hope that all fits.

Joe
Joe
1963 Comet S-22 Convert

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Sounds like you have answer to connect the steering components. Also, don't tighten anything down that has a bushing in it until the weight of the car is on it and the steering is pointing straight ahead.
Cool 😎 car man!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about