Father and Son Comet Project (with photos)

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
Groover

Re: Father and Son Comet Project (with photos)

Post by Groover »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Groover wrote: If somebody can tell me why those crevices under the carb are there on the 260 intake, that's an automatic 5 point bonus.
Those are there to indicate when you have the wrong or bad gasket.if they have gas in them something is wrong. :mrgreen: :lol:
well then they worked perfectly!
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Which way are you putting the alum spacer on? Up as pictured?

I went thru some trials with getting my 4100 to work,seal off on this edelbrock intake. they make a adapter plate for autolites carbs to edelbroc intakes that I used but finally figured out it wanted to have both, the ford alum spacer as well. I got tired of arguing with it. It also wanted to get the little bit of air thru it's heated choke passage that I had plugged off,& pulls from between the barrels on bottom of carb.This is why it needed the alum spacer,the little slots in it,to pull that slight amount of air thru to activate the choke. I wouldn't have thought that little tad of air would make that much difference. After I finally gave in to it's demands i was finally able to tune jet it/tune it.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Groover wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:
Groover wrote: If somebody can tell me why those crevices under the carb are there on the 260 intake, that's an automatic 5 point bonus.
Those are there to indicate when you have the wrong or bad gasket.if they have gas in them something is wrong. :mrgreen: :lol:
well then they worked perfectly!
Geez what an ordeal. Ok so what are the holes for? Don’t make me dig out my Mannel...I usually ignore the 221/260 part :P
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Groover

Post by Groover »

poboyjo65 wrote:Which way are you putting the alum spacer on? Up as pictured?
No sir, the holes in the spacer plate face down (smooth side up). The bottom of the spacer is carved out with the PCV drafts but the other cavities there serve no purpose other than to dissipate heat (I guess) although I would think more metal would dissipate better than air).

Joe, I don't know why the crevices are in the intake. That's why I'm asking. It's not in the Mannel book (least not that I've found).

Looks like the 4 bbl intake has them as well. I assume it has something to do with the casting process, but since its on the outside, why not just make that surface completely flat?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Groover wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:Which way are you putting the alum spacer on? Up as pictured?
No sir, the holes in the spacer plate face down (smooth side up). The bottom of the spacer is carved out with the PCV drafts but the other cavities there serve no purpose other than to dissipate heat (I guess) although I would think more metal would dissipate better than air).
Ok. it's been awhile. I was just curious & trying to remember. I cant remember exactly how it was but maybe it was the bottom of the carb that had slots & not the spacer, so that some vac pulled from areas between the barrels of carb bottom, some passages,one of them for the heated choke.

Maybe the crevices are just to drop as much as possible of the hot cast iron down away from the spacer.

My spacer has provisions for heater hoses though I dont use them. I suppose this was suppose to help it warm up & to help keep it near the 180° or what ever thermostat it had. I think this carb & spacer came from a 66 352 ,possible a galaxie, I cant remember now for sure what car.
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

poboyjo65 wrote:My spacer has provisions for heater hoses though I dont use them. I suppose this was suppose to help it warm up & to help keep it near the 180° or what ever thermostat it had. I think this carb & spacer came from a 66 352 ,possible a galaxie, I cant remember now for sure what car.
As far as comets go, I believe the '63 Comet Sprint had the heat/coolant passage spacer, but they dropped that in 64 (maybe to add the PCV since I don't think the '63 had the PCV -- just road draft).

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Groover wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:My spacer has provisions for heater hoses though I dont use them. I suppose this was suppose to help it warm up & to help keep it near the 180° or what ever thermostat it had. I think this carb & spacer came from a 66 352 ,possible a galaxie, I cant remember now for sure what car.
As far as comets go, I believe the '63 Comet Sprint had the heat/coolant passage spacer, but they dropped that in 64 (maybe to add the PCV since I don't think the '63 had the PCV -- just road draft).
Thinking back,,,I bought 2 of these 4100s at the same time & the other was a 64 year I think,possibly 63. it had the slightly different acc pump front & the spacer may have been for that carb. I dont think it has a pcv port.
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

It was almost exactly 9 years ago at Christmas that Maverick and I started working on the Comet (he was 14 then). It was seven years ago on Christmas day that we drove the Comet on the streets again for the first time in probably 20+ years. And it was just a few weeks ago that he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Automotive Technology from Southern Illinois University.

I can't be any prouder and could never have imagined the impact that little Comet would have on both our lives. I got to drive her last week for the first time in months and she still purred like a kitten.

Meanwhile, we counted up the number of titles to vehicles Maverick has held in his name since he got his license, and the count is at 20. He's currently driving an 89 Mustang GT Convertible (no top, 302, 5 speed). He's restoring a 1970 Mustang Sport Coupe for a friend with a 351 Cleveland. His old reliable is the 99 Toyota 4Runner.

I wouldn't usually post this much personal information, but many of you have met the young man and shaped his life in ways neither of us can ever thank you for. You made us both feel welcome and included us in all the conversations when we showed up at the gathering with big dreams (in a Subaru). You answered questions I could never have answered on my own. You shared your experience and wisdom. And while I'm a firm believer in a college degree, there is clearly no substitute for laying your hands on something. While his fellow students were learning what each part of an engine was for the first time, he was challenging his instructors with questions about turbos and torque and power to weight ratios and carburetors vs fuel injection, and.. well if you've met him, you know the questions.

Happy New Year to all of you, and if everything goes right (and the creek don't rise), we'll see you at the gathering.

Oh... and if you know anybody who's hiring...
Attachments
Graduation 2019
Graduation 2019
Maverick Graduation Photo.jpg (56.94 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
King of Comets
King of Comets
Maverick King of the Comet.JPG (36.32 KiB) Viewed 3482 times

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Congratulations to both of you!! You've raised a fine young man you can be very proud of. The time the two of you spent on your Comet has generated memories you'll both cherish, and had a profound impact on the direction of his life. I hope the creek don't rise 'cause I'm looking forward to congratulating both of you in person at PF this June. :D

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Groover I was duly impressed with that young man. So we will share a bit in your pride.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

congrats to MAVRICK from ol pop...I recall that 1st spin I took him in my comet yrs ago,,he's a great young man !!...I agree that all that classroom stuff can't replace hands on stuff....and in his case...he's got both !!!!,,,,POP has always been proud of him .
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Sounds like a great kid with a promising future!
Grover, most of that young man is in his genes and your ability to lead/teach.
Real fathers are a challenge to find these days.
Fred
P.S.
Thanks for a little personal stuff
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Congratulations! I'm a Saluki myself - B.S. in Workforce Education - but that was a long time ago. Best of luck!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

Groover

Post by Groover »

bigdan wrote:Congratulations! I'm a Saluki myself - B.S. in Workforce Education - but that was a long time ago. Best of luck!

Dan
How long ago? He's actually third generation Saluki (me and my wife '91 -- plus both of her parents).

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I finished my major in '04 at a satellite campus in Connecticut while I was in the Navy. Small world!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!