My 63 project

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
rjones35

My 63 project

Post by rjones35 »

This is the 390 that came in the car when I bought it. It's been pulled and sold.

BAM! You can see all the chopping and hacking the guy did so stick it in there.

Oh Yeah! A little patchwork to be done.

And the interior isn't horrible but it needs floor boards and some other stuff. I'll be rewiring it too.
Last edited by rjones35 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lip Ripper

Re: My 63 project

Post by Lip Ripper »

Too bad that fat FE couldn't/didn't stay in there.

LR
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I know. But it was too big. I know I could have made it fit and been okay, but I think I'll enjoy the smaller, lighter smallblock even more!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I agree the small block will be more fun.
Looking forward to your build/rebuild thread.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks! So far I'm freaked out at the amount of stuff I need to do, mainly floorboard/rust repair!! But I'm taking it one step at a time and trying not to look to hard just yet at the big picture.

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

One piece and one project at a time... It's gonna be a very nice car..
'63 Comet Hardtop

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks RCMike!!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Create the finished product in your mind.
Make a plan.
Work the plan.
Don't stop!!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

So here is my first adventure into chopping up the car! This might sound dumb, but do I need to worry about cutting out too much of the floor at one time as far as strength goes? I mean there's not a whole lot structurally to the car to begin with, I dont want it to fold up in the middle or anything!!??

comethead

Post by comethead »

You'll be ok. It's when you remove the entire floor with the center hump that twisting starts to happen. You still have the full rockers and the center hump acting as supports.
Hey it looks like a good start!
I find that when I have a ton of stuff to do with a project and I feel under water I'll write everything down that needs doing. As I do a task Ill line through it on the list. It's a great motivator as the list gets smaller and everything's getting lined out.
Good luck!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Good idea! Thanks Joe! I did a little more rust removal today. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about the car collapsing on me just yet! I got enough removed on the passenger side that I can see down into the rear torque box? the area in front of the leaf spring. It's kinda cheesy back there, not much frame. But, it appears that I can run a piece of 2" square tubing from the inside of the rear to the outside of the front rail pretty much a straight shot. And then make the floor fit around it. A little more grinding and buying a welder, then I can start putting it back together! At least the one side...

I'm kinda toying with the idea of leaving the back seat out and putting a roll bar in, just for fun. Or maybe leave the back seat and still put a bar in.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Making a little headway on the car. Mostly gathering parts and working on the plan. I decided to make my own subframe connectors and floorpans. Keep in mind I'm not going for "looks". I want it to work and do the job.

So here is the passenger side. Not welded, just sitting there.

And here is the drivers side, havent started yet.

Plan is to make the patches for the drivers side tomorrow and weld everything sunday AND then I can start on wiring!! I've got a Centech harness already. Got an engine lined up, hopefully. I decided to just replace the upper and lower control arms and springs. Instead of bushings and ball joints. Plan on CSRP brakes and a hydraulic clutch kit from Modern driveline. Thats about as far as I've thought ahead.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

You'll need to roll some beads in those floor pans for strength. Otherwise they will pop and make noise when you drive down the road.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I think I'm gonna put some bracing underneath to take care of that. Thanks!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

A little update on the floors. My buddy Chris came over and welded up the passenger side! I had planned on buying a welder and learning to weld and doing it myself, but had to spend a bunch on my daily driver so no buying a welder. And I really want to get the floor done. Its kinda bumming me out.

Drivers side sometime this week hopefully. Then onto front end. I'm going to replace the control arms and springs. Then brakes, brakelines, wiring, shock towers, etc, etc.......