Slowly restoring my 66 Comet Caliente

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
poboyjo65

Re: Slowly restoring my 66 Comet Caliente

Post by poboyjo65 »

very nice work on all of it. I would call it slowly , thats a good steady pace your on !
Johno

1320paul

Post by 1320paul »

Well I finally got my car out of storage in the fall before the snow hit!! Had to move four cars and a boat to get it but it was in daylight for the first time in almost 15 years. There's still a long way to go but just finally having it at the body shop after all this time is a huge relief. Now I just have to figure out how to post pictures of it. :)
Check out http://www.1320art.com for cool automotive artwork

1320paul

Post by 1320paul »

Well two and a half years have come and gone...and I have to get my car because the body guy is telling me it might be a couple years before he gets to my car. Ya right. Got another guy coming to look at it and hopefully he can do it.

Groover

Post by Groover »

1320paul wrote:Well two and a half years have come and gone...and I have to get my car because the body guy is telling me it might be a couple years before he gets to my car. Ya right. Got another guy coming to look at it and hopefully he can do it.
I heard that same thing time after time when we were looking for somebody to do work on ours. Ended up doing it myself. Seems nobody has the time to do older cars. Too much money in quick turnaround insurance work. Hope you find somebody and they do you right.

I was just looking back through your thread and thinking how quickly time flies. :)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Another bad thing is these paint jails (as Roy called them) have no regard for the hard work that you have already done & wont even keep it covered up to protect it from all their dust from everything else they worked on. :evil: & often loose parts that they removed. :evil:
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

poboyjo65 wrote:Another bad thing is these paint jails (as Roy called them) have no regard for the hard work that you have already done & wont even keep it covered up to protect it from all their dust from everything else they worked on. :evil: & often loose parts that they removed. :evil:
I have seen all of this happen and I wonder how they stay in business.
Also like Groover said it is hard to find anybody that will work on the old stuff. I hear this a lot.
I worked under a old guy for years and still do once a week just to learn the trade. I only did it to learn how to fix my own stuff. I had friends ask me to work on fenders and doors a few times. So being friends I straighten a few out for them. Then about 4 months ago my phone started ringing off the hook from people wanting stuff done. I had to start turning them away. I won't take on anymore cars just fenders,hoods,doors ect.ect. and I don't paint them. I have more work than I want and this way I wont own a paint jail.
What Im hearing is the trade schools that teach the trade don't teach on how to work on the old stuff anymore and most of the newer cars just get new parts put on if wrecked. Kind of sad and I hope it not that way everywhere.

Paul I sure hope you find someone and if you do I sure hope they do you and your car right.

Good luck,Matt

1320paul

Post by 1320paul »

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. One good thing is my car is basically stripped right down and I have all my parts bagged and tagged in boxes so I won't have to chase anyone down looking for stuff. The only things really left in the car are glass, wiring and the rear end. The engine is getting freshened up after I tore it down last month (.030 overbore and a stock rebuild kit). The guys that did my friend's Chevelle and another friend's Cutlass are meeting me tomorrow to take a look at it. They're a small town shop with a good reputation so I'm hoping for the best.

1320paul

Post by 1320paul »

ImageImageImage[/img]

1320paul

Post by 1320paul »

It looks like a piece of crap now but I can see it done in my head. Bone stock 289 2bbl. Stock cam, skinny bias plys, factory color and single exhaust. I've only seen 3 other 66 Comets in Winnipeg since I got this car 17 years ago. I know it's not a high dollar rare car but whatever. I love this thing.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

As long as you have that image in your head it will come together someday, but if you loose that foresight you may loose interest too. keep after it & hopefully it will be soon!! :D
Johno

1320paul

Post by 1320paul »

I'm determined now more than ever to get it done. Here's a couple engine pics. Only 64,000 original miles but there's a ridge on the cylinders.
ImageImage

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

1320paul wrote:It looks like a piece of crap now but I can see it done in my head.
I think it looks like a diamond in the rough, '66 Comets are one of my favorites.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Loner

Post by Loner »

Only 64,000 original miles but there's a ridge on the cylinders.
I bet someone didn't change the oil enough or ran it with a dirty air cleaner or without one at all.

Matt

1320paul

Post by 1320paul »

Loner wrote:Only 64,000 original miles but there's a ridge on the cylinders.
I bet someone didn't change the oil enough or ran it with a dirty air cleaner or without one at all.

Matt
Yup I think the original owner little old lady missed her regular oil changes and maintenance.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

1320paul wrote:Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. One good thing is my car is basically stripped right down and I have all my parts bagged and tagged in boxes so I won't have to chase anyone down looking for stuff. The only things really left in the car are glass, wiring and the rear end. The engine is getting freshened up after I tore it down last month (.030 overbore and a stock rebuild kit). The guys that did my friend's Chevelle and another friend's Cutlass are meeting me tomorrow to take a look at it. They're a small town shop with a good reputation so I'm hoping for the best.
sounds like they are more use to building GM's...be sure and mention it is a ford,,so watch the head gaskets,,if they know what they are doing they well under stand,,if not ...furnish them with a how to book......jmo :shock: :wink:
pop/glenda