Ant's 65 Comet Build

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
Rocket989

Re: Ant's 65 Comet Build

Post by Rocket989 »

The only thing I've ever heard Q-Jets were good for was off-road stuff!!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

Comechero65 wrote:My memory is vague on the Q-jet but I don't remember them having vacuum operated secondaries. Pretty sure they were mechanical. I still have one so will have to take another look. don't know why I still have it though. will never use it again.

For those that don't know there were some SBF engines that had an intake that fit the Q-jet carb back in the 70's. I think they were on ford vans but that's only vague info. So there were intake manifolds made for the Q-jet to fit a ford engine. Probably rare and hard to find these days if a person were so inclined to want to use one. I wouldn't!!
Ron
Close but not quite. A GM Rochester Quadra Jet was factory installed on the 429 Cobra Jet in 1970 and 71. They had a Autolite tag on them and Ford kickdown linkage if it was an auto trans. Pretty rare to still find one. Never on a small block Ford. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

There was a 4300 autolite that looked like a q jet. they might have come on some sbf's.
Johno

ants875

Post by ants875 »

So yesterday I tried adjusting the accelerator pump cam to the second position and that helped it with the stumble but the car was still not as snappy as it was with the demon. So I swapped the power valve in the demon to the 4.5 one and readjusted the carb and drove it, what a difference that carb makes! It's like a whole different car, it's crisper and pulls way harder. With the new power valve the stumble is all but gone. It is now running the best it has since I put it together, it is still rich at idle so I'm going to play with the air bleeds first then it may need smaller jets to get the rest of the curve right. I think I'm on the right track now!

Ant

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Good deal man!! Smoke 'em if you've got 'em!!! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

ants875

Post by ants875 »

well the Washington fall has finally hit which means its been raining, I let the comet sit outside yesterday since I've been chasing some water leaks in the front. I fixed a couple from the side of the windshield and yesterday I found the other two leaks, the one is the by the driver's side kick panel. I can see where the factory seam sealer has failed so that will be pretty easy to fix and once I pull the fender a permanent solution should be straight forward. the other leak I'm not sure what I'm going to do with yet, its right in the middle of the dash I found a hole under where the export brace bolts. seems to me though that the water must be coming in under the cowl by the wiper arm area though. the hole is under the lip under the hood so I can't think that much water could be running under there and getting in. anyone see this before or have any ideas how to get into the cowl area to replace the seem sealer?

thanks
Anthony

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Check Grover's build thread think he's been in there
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

ants875

Post by ants875 »

SASSY wrote:Check Grover's build thread think he's been in there
Fred,

Found it on page 13 thanks! And thanks to groover for the great pics. What he did was cut the side out under the fender on the passenger side, I will need to do that since I found the remnants of a mouse nest up there. For now I think I'm going to try and seal it under the hood if that does not work then I will pull the drivers fender and cut that side and also fix the leak by the kick panel. I'm just not ready to start the body work so I really don't want to pull the fenders yet.

Ant

comethead

Post by comethead »

Ant I had a mustang that leaked water into the cowl area too. Before I got it fixed I used one of these with success https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n77otHE8peA
I believe they make them for falcon/comet too.

I ended up removing the whole top cowl and fixing metal, then replacing it. I still used the cowl cover when I washed it though!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I have one of those i put on mine. It's not as fancy as the one in the video but does the job. Mine is for an early mustang that I had to cut narrower to fit the falcon cowl. Mine has the 3 retainer clips. Had I know when I ordered it i would have gotten the one for the 67/68 mustang as it has 4 retainers instead of 3. Still has to be cut to fit. Keeps water and all the crap that falls off the trees out of the cowl. You can even leave it on while you drive if you choose. :D
Ron

ants875

Post by ants875 »

That's a great solution for now, I can't find ones that fit the comet other then magnetic ones. what is different about the mustang ones? how do you cut them down and maintain the seal??

thanks
Ant

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

ants875 wrote:That's a great solution for now, I can't find ones that fit the comet other then magnetic ones. what is different about the mustang ones? how do you cut them down and maintain the seal??

thanks
Ant
I don't think any are made for the Comet or Falcon. That's why you have to get the Mustang version. You have to remove the seal material part way, then cut one edge off then reattach the seal. I found I also had to relocate two of the three clips as they don't line up with the slots in the cowl. spacing is different than mustangs. In hindsight I should have got the 67/68 version as it has 4 clip instead of 3 which holds them and fits more uniformly in place. Probably 2 or maybe 3 of them would have to be relocated as well like I had to do on mine. Probably the easiest way is to just get the magnetic strip, cut it to fit and you are done. Just make sure it is clean especially no metal shards when you put it on. Either style can be left on all the time even when driving. Either style can be painted body color to blend in and be less noticeable.
Ron

ants875

Post by ants875 »

I ordered the magnetic one off of ebay, they claim that it is custom cut for a Comet/Falcon. I'll post some pics when it shows up.

Ant

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

ants875 wrote:I ordered the magnetic one off of ebay, they claim that it is custom cut for a Comet/Falcon. I'll post some pics when it shows up.

Ant
That will work. Even if it doesn't fit right you can easily trim it to fit.
Ron

ants875

Post by ants875 »

I finally remembered to bring the cowl cover home and try it on the car, fits great and it stayed put so far have kit taken it above 60 yet so we'll see. I'll get a pic here in a day or two.

Ant