Other Mercury Projects

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
SASSY

Re: Other Mercury Projects

Post by SASSY »

albert wrote:Fred, nice Granada, did it come with A 351? I thought they were all 302's? I'm not even sure if they had Monarchs in the US in 1977?
Hey ALLLLLLBERT!! Lol
Sorry I missed your post, ya it came with the 351. Motor was hurtin when I bought it. Pulled it had the heads done, honed it rings bearings run good. Got o pic of it hanging on a come along in my little garage somewhere.
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Engine for the Cougar is ready for the run-in-stand,going to break it in,set valves and timing and check for any leaks!! Seats are done,guess it will be time for reassembly soon!! Fred;what ever happened to the Granada/Monarch? ROY.
Roy's gonna have a street car yet!!
Great to hear its gettin close.
Brotherinlaw, had to have it then sold it ,,,?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Engine for the Cougar is ready for the run-in-stand,going to break it in,set valves and timing and check for any leaks!! Seats are done,guess it will be time for reassembly soon!! Fred;what ever happened to the Granada/Monarch? ROY.
Awesome Roy!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Does anybody know if you need to add a jumper to the loom when you change out an Automatic to a stick? THANK YOU , ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Does anybody know if you need to add a jumper to the loom when you change out an Automatic to a stick? THANK YOU , ROY.
The harness for the neutral/start circuit should plug into two bullet connectors under the dash. Those two connections are up near the firewall plug. Just unplug those two wires then plug the two bullet connectors in the underdash harness together. that eliminates the start switch completely. either that or just connect the two rd/blu pins together just after the wiring comes out of the firewall.
ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

That's what I did Roy. I cut the plug ends off the NSS wires in the engine compartment and spliced them together.

Joe

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Ron and Joe;Thank You!! I figured something had to be done to bypass the neutral safty switch!!I have never done an Auto to 4-Speed conversion before!! ROY.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Roy when are we going to see the Cougar out in the sunlight again?
How's the wagon going ?

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Joe;The Cougar still needs a little more painting in the engine bay,then rear floor repair,then reinstall EVERYTHING!! Wagon,as of last week,is about 75% sanded and primed,still needs left side Fender and door sanded and primed then the hood and roof which only need the crappy primer removed!!The painter is hoping to have color on the car by end of December,then the FUN begins,wiring [did I mention I HATE wiring],interior,glass,bumpers and trim,FUN,FUN,FUN!!!! I hope to be done with the Cougar by the time the wagon comes home!!!!!! ROY.

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

when i was 12 years old my dad traded me his 67 289 4 bbl 3 speed in the floor white with a blue int 67 cougar for my old coin collection that my grandma gave me.i had a great dane that rode on the top of my car.we were on the front page of the times news.headlines were WHEN 13 YEAR OLD GOES FOR A DRIVE HIS GREAT DANE DUKE GOES ALONG TOO and it had a huge pic of me driving down the road with duke on the top. it was my first car a 67 cougar. i loved it!
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

comethead

Post by comethead »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Joe;The Cougar still needs a little more painting in the engine bay,then rear floor repair,then reinstall EVERYTHING!! Wagon,as of last week,is about 75% sanded and primed,still needs left side Fender and door sanded and primed then the hood and roof which only need the crappy primer removed!!The painter is hoping to have color on the car by end of December,then the FUN begins,wiring [did I mention I HATE wiring],interior,glass,bumpers and trim,FUN,FUN,FUN!!!! I hope to be done with the Cougar by the time the wagon comes home!!!!!! ROY.
Sounds good Roy! Looks like it's moving along.
What are you using for a clutch on the Cougar? Does it have a stock 8" rear?

Joe

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Joe;I went with a 'LONG' style replacement from RAM!!I thought I had everything here,turned out to be for a 'BIG' input and the flwheel was the wrong one too!! I will be changing the 3.0s for 3.40s with a TL for the 8"rear!!

comethead

Post by comethead »

Can't wait to see it on the road!

loman

Post by loman »

Roy, what colors are you painting the wagon and the Cougar?

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

lowman;The Couars paint is staying,it is Lime Gold Metallic.The wagon will be Polar White ]Wimbleton] which was the original color!! ROY.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Lime Gold Metallic!! Love it!