‘64 Falcon Track Project

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
popscomet

Re: 64 Falcon Track Car

Post by popscomet »

JOE,there has been several race cars built and maintained in POP's shop(s),,,one of the most important things is making the driver comfortable and being able to see out of it.So the seat and how you sit is no.1....and the position of that steering whl !!YOU DON'T want to have to reach or stretch..your back and neck will thank you after the day is done,,OL POP is sure you are aware of this,,just thought I'd remind you....we always mount switchs and gauges so you almost never really have to take your eyes off your path....everything needs to FLOW looking ahead...good luck....pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Pop thanks for the tips. I know you’ve been there and done all this so I really appreciate the information.

Yeah for me to get the cage around me per the SCCA guidelines I had to mount the seat. To mount the seat I needed the pedals, steering wheel and shifter mounted. So my seating position feels pretty good now in relation to the pedals/wheel/shifter and gauges. I’ll have the aux gauges mounted high to keep my head up.
Hopefully it all works out ok.

Thanks again!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OL POP ,knew you already knew it....I just learned how to spell a certain word today and just wanted to use it in a post.... :shock: NO,I will not say what that word is :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: some things are best to always keep to yourself :!: :wink: :)
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hey, Joe....here's some inspiration for you. It's Olly Bryant at Daytona in his Shelby Mustang. In the first link he goes from 4th to 1st first in one lap. In the second, he moves from 25th to 1st. Keep an eye on his tach and listen to her sing. Maybe you can set your phone on the dash and sit in your Falcon while you watch them. :lol:

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/hist ... y-mustang/

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/hist ... bT7XeSxtus

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

cool films !!,,,back in the day when son was just a young teen,we didn't have a camara,,but we did have a battery operated tape recorder,my son would lay it in the pass seat in his 67 289 4spd stang,at the drag races he would pre stage and reach over and turn it on,,then stage and take off,,back at the pits ,he would listen to his shift points...….then several yrs later,we had a camara and built a holder mounted in his son's dirt track car,,installed camara and we went over his race later,,,,you can learn a lot that way...we got almost a season with that camara,,dust and just so much jarring got the best of it.....then later we got one built for installing in a race car....sometimes you could settle a dispute between drivers,just by showing what really happen on the track during the race...…...on those 2 films JIM just showed,,the valve train on that stang flat took a beatin...wonder how far the timing chain was stretched :shock: :wink: ...pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Hey, Joe....here's some inspiration for you. It's Olly Bryant at Daytona in his Shelby Mustang. In the first link he goes from 4th to 1st first in one lap. In the second, he moves from 25th to 1st. Keep an eye on his tach and listen to her sing. Maybe you can set your phone on the dash and sit in your Falcon while you watch them. :lol:

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/hist ... y-mustang/

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/hist ... bT7XeSxtus

Jim
Whoa!!!!!!! That’s dudes a manimal!! :twisted:
Awesome vids Jim thanks! He would destroy my little Falcon at lap 1 ! :lol:

Joe

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looking Good Joe !!! :D
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks Johnnie!!

comethead

Post by comethead »

Getting the roll cage trimmed and fit. I’m just tack welding the pieces in for trial fitting. We’ll get it finish welded once everything is in place.
For now I got the main hoop, harness bar and hoop braces in their rough positions. Next will be the halo and the halo down bars.

Joe

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Cool Joe!
The cage in my circle track car needed to clamped in with a plate under the floor and bolted through because it wasn't welded to a "frame".
How is yours going to be secured?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks Fred!
The attachment points are 6X6 1/8” plates. The main hoop plates will be welded to the tops of the rear torque boxes. The rear supports mount plates will be welded to the trunk floor at the rear frame rails. And the front down bars will be secured to the inner rockers.
So I guess they’re not attached to a frame but they’ll be welded to the sturdier parts of the unibody. I didn’t want to weld the plates to just a sheet metal floor pan. But by the rules you can.
I’m working off the SCCA 1972 rule book.

Joe

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Man, 1972,, that must of been pretty close to when you were a twinkle in someone's eye? :D :D :wink: :mrgreen: Marilyn and I got married October that year.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

there was guy yrs ago that welded his hoop to the floor ,no plate,,,he rolled it one night off the end of the track,the hoop legs went right thru the floor ..his world came down on him,quick !!!
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

there was a sprit car driver that used exhaust pipe for a cage,,,to save weight,,,,got into a wreck and a piece of that pipe broke and came back into him and literly stabbed him to death,,,died on the scene in front of the crowd on the front stretch...this was many yrs ago....you can't never be to careful and don't ever take a short cut,,,that life you may save could easly be yours...that man left a wife and young kids,,,,just trying to shave a couple of pounds off.....pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

That some scary stuff Pop!
I guess racing is inherently dangerous but I’m trying to follow the rules closely to not die as a dummy!
Those 2 guys pushed their luck too far sounds like

Joe