‘64 Falcon Track Project

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
comethead

Re: 64 Falcon Track Car

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:04 pm
comethead wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:04 pm
Yes he’s the one that rents the track twice a year for these events. Nice guy!
'Watch him' as 'in your mirrors' :wink:
I'm not Cobra aficionado but his old slab side beater is a killer car :evil:

Joe II
He’s got an original million dollar one and a newer kit made to look like a beater.
https://youtu.be/w2XFarhnSnU?si=BnjNThTi-m_VM4-k
https://youtu.be/FTfjFSRExAc?si=FKKYu81AuldKez7a

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:22 pm
comethead wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:24 pm
The next track event will be held on 28/29 October.
Open invitation to anyone that would want to go and see some old iron going fast on a historic road race track.
The track is about 1.5 hrs north of LAX or 1 hour north of Burbank airport. Be cool to meet some of you guys. I might even put you to work helping me rotate my tires….or swapping a transmission :lol:
https://cocoaoc.org/2023/10/03/willow-s ... ber-28-29/

Also I can get some super cheap airline tickets if someone would want to fly in.

Joe
I have plans that weekend, but keep us updated on future events. I would definitely fly out for an event.
Will do! Usually it’s one event in the spring and one in the fall. Both are sat/sun weekend events. And they’re the only club that allows passenger sessions a few times a day. That’s where we have to behave and literally “keep it under a ‘hunert” :lol:
I got red flagged last year when I tried to scare my passenger :D

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:04 pm

'Watch him' as 'in your mirrors' :wink:

Joe II
Hey Joe last spring was, I believe, the 50th anniversary of the Cobra Owners track event. The 100th event. Lynn Park is an old guy and I don’t think he really drives his cars out there anymore. He brings a couple Cobras and parks them in the front near the front straight and BS’s with the boys while us younger guys with cars worth less than $1,000,000 are out there beating on them.
It’s cool he does this and I’m hoping he passes the torch to someone once he decides to retire from it. It’s $200 for the weekend which is a bargain. Ive paid $300 for a single day event.

Joe

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

That's the one. Reminds me of an old mailbox. Faster than the U.S.P.S. :lol:

Very cool on Mr. Park's part. Sixty-six percent discount buys another tire for another day.
Insurance rates drove all of the tracks into the ground around here. :(

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

comethead

Re: ‘64 Falcon Track Project

Post by comethead »

Another track weekend done with the Falcon. Must have done about 100 laps screaming at 6700rpm without a major issue. The brake cooling ducts, hub spacers and 1 1/8” sway bar seemed to help. She cornered very flat and the brakes were predictable the entire weekend.
I bought an $8 app called “Track Addict” that uses the phones GPS to give speed time and some crude track telemetry. Turned out to be very useful and showed me exactly what I’m doing all the time. No more fantasizing that I’m actually fast :lol:
Best time 1minute 46 seconds. It’s a good baseline for improvement.
Here’s some pics.

Track Addict screenshots showing my speeds around the track and times

Mr. Pantera DID NOT want to be passed. Even though I was faster in the turns he refused to wave me by. A courtesy the track organizers stress every single event. Some guys don’t care and wave you by (like me) and others are just stubborn and refuse to do it. They’re slow in the turns and then mash the throttle on the straights to try to outrun you :lol:
Some get away…this guy didnt. Video coming soon. (So much for the C Fred :lol: )

Action pics. Btw I added vinyl door numbers. I guess I could have been a little more creative with the number :roll:

Video of one of the sessions.
https://youtu.be/1MKDz2u7pGc?si=UOi7EU_fxeDR0ilH

The GoPro saves the videos in chapters. So it gets cut off. Im uploading as I go along. They’re huge files and my Wi-Fi apparently sucks :x
Im learning to heel/toe downshift. Doesn’t always happen. Some laps Im just trying to hit the apex’s and be smooth annd others Im trying to go for time…and sometimes it ain’t pretty :twisted: When another car is around Im trying to outpace them or catch up and pass to have some fun.

So technical issues- I lost my speedo again. I don’t care this time because the app tells me how fast I’m going. I think I’m going to replace the 66 style gauge with the original sweep gauge because it looks cooler.
The big one…engine temp. As you can see in the video it runs very cool. Around 150 degrees. Is that ok? Sitting in the pit lane it’ll go up to 180 when the t-stat opens and stay there. As soon as I hit the track and higher RPMs it immediately drops to 150 or so. Im not sure I like it. Let me know what y’all think.
A few more vids are coming soon.

Joe

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Subscribed :D

What a teaser, Joe! Just when you're pulling on the Pantera.... :lol:
Pull the thermostat, see if it's stuck wide open. My Comet did the same thing first winter I drove it w/o thermostat.

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Cool to see ya having fun!! Obviously the C needs a tune or driver, lol.
I'd experiment with engine heat. If it idles at 180 and races at 150 lots a room for investigation.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:34 am
Subscribed :D

What a teaser, Joe! Just when you're pulling on the Pantera.... :lol:
Pull the thermostat, see if it's stuck wide open. My Comet did the same thing first winter I drove it w/o thermostat.

Joe II
Thanks Joe I’ll check that out. The next video is still loading. Im pretty sure I did something wrong. No reason the files should be that huge.

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:31 am
Cool to see ya having fun!! Obviously the C needs a tune or driver, lol.
I'd experiment with engine heat. If it idles at 180 and races at 150 lots a room for investigation.
Agree Fred. Plenty of fast cars out there being driven conservatively whether because of their high value or the drivers lack of confidence. In the next video you can see a puff of black smoke come out of his pipes when he gets on it.
I drive in the second run group. Guys that feel they’re faster than the first group but slower than the crazies in the upper groups. I think with a few tweaks and more experience I can move up a level and get passed there :lol:

Joe

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Always good to be the small fish in the pond, keeps ya reaching.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I'm pulling your leg, man :mrgreen:
YT gets cranky sometimes converting files. No biggie if it doesn't load.
That drive onto the track is how I drive around town. Save The Eight Inch Foundation member.
Like your rowdy cam 👍

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Joe, that ain't nothin' but COOL!! 8) That looks like SO much fun. Caught myself leaning into the turns as I sat in my chair. :lol: Only complaint I've got is that big a$$ mirror gets in my way. Maybe next time out you can slide your camera down a bit so we can see under it. The car is running great. I'm with Joe T on the stat maybe being stuck open.

Jim

comethead

Post by comethead »

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:08 pm
I'm pulling your leg, man :mrgreen:
YT gets cranky sometimes converting files. No biggie if it doesn't load.
That drive onto the track is how I drive around town. Save The Eight Inch Foundation member.
Like your rowdy cam 👍

Joe II
:lol: Thanks Joe! I love that cam but next time I’d go with a roller and aluminum heads.

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:58 pm
Joe, that ain't nothin' but COOL!! 8) That looks like SO much fun. Caught myself leaning into the turns as I sat in my chair. :lol: Only complaint I've got is that big a$$ mirror gets in my way. Maybe next time out you can slide your camera down a bit so we can see under it. The car is running great. I'm with Joe T on the stat maybe being stuck open.

Jim
Dag blast it Jim I can’t please you!!!! :lol: :lol:
The GoPro mount I have doesn’t have a vertical adjustment. But I know Amazon has one that does!! I did try to get around the mirror but couldn’t this time. Im still learning all the tech stuff haha.

Joe