‘64 Falcon Track Project

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 64 Falcon Track Car

Post by bigdan »

Joe -

You'll love those Kirkey buckets. I'm running the same seat with covers and am amazed at how comfortable and secure they are. Have you found a cage pre- bent for the Falcon? If I recall correctly I picked up a Mustang hoop and added just a few degrees to dial it in. Looking good!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks Dan!
I still need to order the seat cover for the Kirkey but yeah it feels pretty good just planting my butt on it and making engine noises :D
Rhodes Race Cars sells pre-bent and pre-notched cage kits. They have a pretty good selection from 4 to 12 point and a few are configured to comply with NHRA NASA SCCA and LEMONS/CHUMP racing regs. I contacted them about adding the inner rockers to the Falcon and needing a narrower main hoop and the reply was fast and friendly. He said shoot me the measurements you need and we’ll make up a kit. So I think I’ll be ordering from them. Probably their SCCA cage. Then I get to suffer on my own fitting it!
https://www.rhodesracecars.com/60-70-FA ... _2888.html
Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

A little update on the Falcon-

Got my cage in the mail :lol:
All the pre-bent angles look good and there’s plenty room for trimming to fit. I’m practicing my tube notching and will start fitting the main hoop first.
Pulled everything out of the cabin that’ll get in the way except for the seat for measurements.

I also got my Kirkey seat cover, Simpson harness and a headrest that gets mounted to the cage. Moving along!
I’ll get some pics of the process soon.

Joe

loman

Post by loman »

Can't wait to see the progress pictures!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea You've been stingy with the pics lately! are you sure you didnt sell that car? :lol:
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

poboyjo65 wrote:Yea You've been stingy with the pics lately! are you sure you didnt sell that car? :lol:
I think it has more to do with actually stepping away from stock and THE FIRST CUT IS THE DEEPEST :lol:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

Here they come!!!!! Soon... :lol:
Don’t want to bore you’s guys with pics of parts. But ok if you insist!

Fred that first cut occurred a couple years ago. I’m ok now. Still new territory for me but now I can almost handle a Sawz-All like you!! :lol:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I just had to rag you about something! :lol: Is that thing going make it to the track this year?
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:lol: :lol: :lol: joe,will that thing outrun a fat BOY ??? :shock: :? :roll: :wink: POP
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Johnnie- maybe! If I can keep at a good pace I could might maybe get it painted and assembled in time for a track visit this year. Maybe.
Pop- I hope so!! If not I’m gonna drive it off a cliff! (Me not in it of course :wink: )

Joe

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

comethead wrote:Here they come!!!!! Soon... :lol:
Don’t want to bore you’s guys with pics of parts. But ok if you insist!

Fred that first cut occurred a couple years ago. I’m ok now. Still new territory for me but now I can almost handle a Sawz-All like you!! :lol:
Yes a Sawz-All and zip disc may be a step into new territory for you but I think you will thoroughly enjoy the venture.
Don't remember, do you weld?
Joe, I'm so looking forward to your posts of what happened at your track days!!
I would probably hack mine up more if we had a road course around here. To me there is nothing like a cage and a helmet to get my juices flowing!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

joe,,that little ford sounds like it'll be a blast to drive,,,that's what I'm hopeing for from this cobra,,,a high spinning 289 sitting on a 90in whl base tipping the scales around 2,000 lbs,,give or take a lb or 2....good luck !!! pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks Fred! I’m looking forward to it too! Man I’m itching to see what me and this car can do on the track 8)

Some minor progress-
Got my Kirkey seat cover. Pretty nice and enough cushion for the rear

Roll cage is here. Not very impressive looking

With that, I got a Harbor Freight tube notcher. The cage has some bars notched already but some need trimming and notching to fit. Did some practice cuts on some scrap tube

And here’s the present situation in my small garage- Falcon awaiting its cage install. And Comet waiting its day back in the sun

I have a buddy bringing over a tube chop saw this weekend and we’ll be fitting the main hoop :D

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

popscomet wrote:joe,,that little ford sounds like it'll be a blast to drive,,,that's what I'm hopeing for from this cobra,,,a high spinning 289 sitting on a 90in whl base tipping the scales around 2,000 lbs,,give or take a lb or 2....good luck !!! pop
Thanks Pop! I’m going to try to get this hot little 302 started soon. Can’t wait to hear her growl!!
And I can’t wait to see pics of your Cobra all done and tearing up the road!!

Joe

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

cool pic;s,,,gonna be great...….pop
pop/glenda