‘64 Falcon Track Project

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
tomb22

Re: 64 Falcon Track Car

Post by tomb22 »

Get yourself a valve cover and cut a opening in the top so you can run the engine and use your feeler gauge to check the lash while the engine is running. Cut the opening high enough so you can get a socket on the rocker arm to adjust. The valve cover keeps the oil from running out over the headers. It's a lot more accurate and easy to do this way. Be sure to use a gasket also.
tom
tomb's 65

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:35 pm
I checked the specs on this cam and it says .028. Seems kinda loose compared to yours. I’m using stock iron heads and aluminum roller rocker arms.
I'm running aluminum heads. They require 0.004" tighter lash than cast iron. Cold lash is going to be around 0.006" tighter than hot lash, as well. After you get them set hot, let it sit overnight and re-check them all cold. You get more consistent readings cold and can use that clearance in the future so you won't have to lash a hot engine again!

Merry Christmas!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:20 am
comethead wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:35 pm
I checked the specs on this cam and it says .028. Seems kinda loose compared to yours. I’m using stock iron heads and aluminum roller rocker arms.
I'm running aluminum heads. They require 0.004" tighter lash than cast iron. Cold lash is going to be around 0.006" tighter than hot lash, as well. After you get them set hot, let it sit overnight and re-check them all cold. You get more consistent readings cold and can use that clearance in the future so you won't have to lash a hot engine again!

Merry Christmas!

JT
Great advice thanks!

Merry Christmas

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

tomb22 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:00 pm
Get yourself a valve cover and cut a opening in the top so you can run the engine and use your feeler gauge to check the lash while the engine is running. Cut the opening high enough so you can get a socket on the rocker arm to adjust. The valve cover keeps the oil from running out over the headers. It's a lot more accurate and easy to do this way. Be sure to use a gasket also.
tom
Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a set of cut open valve covers I’ve used on hydraulic cam adjustments. I’ll have to dust them off.

Joe

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I run a solid cam in my 65 with a cleveland. Set the lash at .22 cold and never had any issues. But clevelands are supposed to be set cold.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Hey Joe!

The cold lash comments I made were for my set-up only. Aluminum, steel and iron (heads, valves, rockers) all react differently to heat and expand or contract at different rates. Hope that comment wasn't confusing, it can be read two different ways. Needed to clear that one up a bit. :D

Thanks!

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:52 pm
Hey Joe!

The cold lash comments I made were for my set-up only. Aluminum, steel and iron (heads, valves, rockers) all react differently to heat and expand or contract at different rates. Hope that comment wasn't confusing, it can be read two different ways. Needed to clear that one up a bit. :D

Thanks!

JT
Thanks for clarifying Joe. I’m going with the Isky recommended valve lash for my stock iron heads- .028”. See how she runs like that.
Thanks again!
Joe

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe I've been doodling again;

Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Whoa Johnny that’s cool!!!!!
Saved to my computer thanks! :D

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I think if I were on the track and saw THAT in my rear view, I'd just pull over and let it pass! :shock: :lol:

Jim

comethead

Post by comethead »

Got another chance to take my Falcon to Willow Springs International Raceway. This time it was on the “big” track, which is the track I built this car for.
It’s a fast track with some high speed corners and elevation changes and the front straight is long enough to keep he throttle wide effen open for a looong time. I only hit 110mph on it but there’s much more room there for 130+. I’m not quite there yet mentally with this car. Maybe some day.
The car ran great. Hitting 6000 rpm all day long and finally my brakes felt great.
Here are a few pics
There was one other Falcon present- a 64 post car slammed with a roller 5.0 and 17” wheels... maybe 18s.

My boy loves the car and loves being at the track

My buddy and acting crew chief tightening up a clamp in the engine bay
My old 2003 Expedition (seems new to me) tow truck did the job.

I have a few videos and pics on the track that I’ll post.

Joe

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I just love the patina on the old SkyDog ! I'm borrowing that nick from Duane Allman cause it keeps popping in my head when I see this car. Dang that boys legs are growing like weeds in a ditch! Next thing you know,,,''Dad can I take the comet ??? I got a hot date!!'' :lol: :wink: :D
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lovin it all!!
'Cept Looking forward to the white paint.
Glass bumper too, is the car street legal? I see plates.
We all have memories that mean something special to us,
I think your track days will be some of those,, along with jr behind the wheel,, enjoy every minute my friend!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks friends!
It sure was a nice day for it too. I got to meet Dale Snoke (The Rocket- 64 Comet drag car). He was there with that yellow post car. He said he liked everything about my car...that made my day. He’s now building a 62 409 Impala road racer :shock:

It’s funny, Johnnie and Fred your opinions on the color/patina are opposite! :lol: Which is pretty much in line with everyone I talk to at the track.
Some ask when I’m gonna paint it...others say DONT EVER paint it :lol: Some days I want to paint it but when I’m on the track I couldn’t give a damn what color it is or isn’t. Some old boy came to me and was looking the car over. He said “well painting it ain’t gonna make it faster”. I agree. For now it’s cheaper to keep it patina’d.

So I had a few folks taking pics and videos. This is the only clip I have of me actually on the track. Maybe something else will come up. I also should be getting some GoPro video of me taking laps soon.

https://youtu.be/KrOzbx38JX8

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I sure like all of it,,,1st time the public saw OL RUSTY on a trailer at a cruise,,,men and women all said don't paint it...even teenagers and even at the drag strip most said shoot a coat of clear and leave it alone,,,except one man said it needed a nice coat of paint,,,,JOE,you did good on the falcon,,,that boy is looking good and growing like a weed,,how about the baby girl,,,she ought to be right behind him,,,,JOE,be careful with that FALCON ,,you just have a 8in rear gear...you know what most say about it... :roll: :roll: :lol:
pop/glenda