Ford Powerplant: Y-Block

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
albert

Ford Powerplant: Y-Block

Post by albert »

http://blog.macsautoparts.com/featured- ... nt-yblock/

Especially for Pop and others who like Y Blocks.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

popscomet

Re: Ford Powerplant: Y-Block

Post by popscomet »

THANKS ALBERT !!! NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN,some of that stuff I didn't know...that was very informative,,,,,the early Y bloskd were prone for the cam bearing (s) to spin and block the oil flow from the rockers,thats when you had to rig up OUT SIDE OILERS ,TO SUPPLY OIL TO THE ROCKER SHAFTS ,,thanks again ,I really enjoyed reading the info......pop
pop/glenda

albert

Post by albert »

Pop, is that why the early 427's had side oilers?
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

albert wrote:Pop, is that why the early 427's had side oilers?
no,that was a way to help from beatin the main's out of it at high rpm
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

albert wrote:Pop, is that why the early 427's had side oilers?
The early 427s weren't side oilers, they came later as an improvement.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I knew what he was talking about,his focus wasn't on the 427,it was on sideoiler and why.....least wise that's the way I see it.......... :!: :wink: pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I had a 53 ford truck, first year of overhead valve 6 banger. oil tube came up thru the head to the rockers . it got stopped up so I teed off the sender (I think) with a tube & drilled a hole in the v cover with a rubber bushing & put it in the rocker arm shaft. good as new. Is that kinda what your talkin about POp?
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:I had a 53 ford truck, first year of overhead valve 6 banger. oil tube came up thru the head to the rockers . it got stopped up so I teed off the sender (I think) with a tube & drilled a hole in the v cover with a rubber bushing & put it in the rocker arm shaft. good as new. Is that kinda what your talkin about POp?
the kit was hooked up at the sender and had small copper lines that ran over to a head ,special bolts came with the kit,,,one on each rocker shaft,,you swapped out a bolt on one end of shaft ,put vc back on and attached oil line to special bolt,that was hollow,from the outside,,,the copper tube was so small there was no adjustment,,,the flow was the flow.....it was very common to see outside oilers on a yblock.they were bad to stop up,have to due to dirty oil.....take apart and blow air thru the lines
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I also had a 56 ford wagon with I think 262 or was it 292. Anyway it had the same problem with oil not getting to the rockers because of a spun bearing on the cam. I installed one of the overhead oiler kits which fixed it. No longer did i have to pull the valve covers every week or so and manually oil the rockers. Had a Capri with a v6 (?) same problem but overhead oiler kits no longer available so I made my own. Not that hard to make.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I had a 65 240 6cyl one time that needed outside oilers,,but sold it before I got around to doing something about the problem......pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Pop it was an old mechanic that recommended that I do it that way to that old 6,& told of all the old problems. I was ready to try anything short of pulling the head back off. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OUTSIDE OILERS was a common thing for me,,for one thing,out of all us young boys in the area ,I was just about the only one that was FORD all the way,,,,and I don't recall OSoilers on anything other then a yblock ford,,in fact that was one way to kinda gauge the condition of the yblock,,did it have the oilers or not.....and of course those old fords were prone to leak oil from the rear main seal their few yrs of production,,,,,the 312 mercury heads .as was told to me by the then old timers,were a cut above the reg ford heads,,,I would always search for a pair,,,,,don't know if they were any better or not,,at the time I thought they were mainly because old man TURNER at ROSCO'S car truck and tractor repair,told me to get a pair and run them with a 57 intake and a holly carb with twin glass-pack mufflers......I had one red white 57 2drht with a 312 thunderbird special that would fly just under the radar,,but everytime I let my 18yro wife drive it she got stopped by the law ,either for loud exhaust,speeding or to ask where I was....I told her the only reason they stop you is to flirt with you,,,,,so next time unbutton that top button and hike that short skirt up about an inch and talk her way out ,,reason why I knew this was cause me and Glenda went to school with EVERY cop that was age of us,cept the old cops and they were not stopping her,,that well given advice to her went over just like a FART IN A WHIRL-WIND.....SHE SAID..i'LL pay the ticket or better yet I will never drive that 57 ford again,,and that's what she did,never drove that 57 again......she started driving my 55 crown vic,,with a 312 tbird and 3x2's,,,,,but not for long...it drew to much attention...this Y-block talk brings back sweet memories for OL POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ON THAT 312 in my 55 crown vic,,for awhile I would run 3x2's,,,then I change to 2x4's,,or 1 4bbl then sometimes I would have a 2bbl or I would put a motorcraft 2bbl.......I was always tinkering with that 312......got tired of buying intake gaskets,,so I remembered my dad making his own various gaskets from a paper bag or from an old shoe box and he always used wheel bearing grease,,,,,so I started using grease on my intake gaskets on both sides,they never stuck nor never leaked,,worked like a clock...even today,in lots of cases ,I use wheel bearing grease instead of a sealer or glue...in fact in certain cases ,my son will use grease on a race motor for one of these race cars.......and we both use our share of ant-seiz on bolt threads,,,,I keep it on my lug bolts,,I put that stuff on moving wear points on just about everything.....even smear it on a trailer ball before hooking up trailer................pop
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

popscomet wrote:ON THAT 312 in my 55 crown vic,,for awhile I would run 3x2's,,,then I change to 2x4's,,or 1 4bbl then sometimes I would have a 2bbl or I would put a motorcraft 2bbl.......I was always tinkering with that 312......got tired of buying intake gaskets,,so I remembered my dad making his own various gaskets from a paper bag or from an old shoe box and he always used wheel bearing grease,,,,,so I started using grease on my intake gaskets on both sides,they never stuck nor never leaked,,worked like a clock...even today,in lots of cases ,I use wheel bearing grease instead of a sealer or glue...in fact in certain cases ,my son will use grease on a race motor for one of these race cars.......and we both use our share of ant-seiz on bolt threads,,,,I keep it on my lug bolts,,I put that stuff on moving wear points on just about everything.....even smear it on a trailer ball before hooking up trailer................pop

Right on for that!! I'm still bugged I didn't (forgot) to put in on the spindles/ bj studs when putting them in. Doesn't matter on those I guess...until you've gotta take 'em apart someday - one way will be easier...!! I've never had anti-sieze cause a problem with anything!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the only problem I have with anti-seiz is getting that crap off my fingers......the other day I picked up the very shop towl I had used to help remove anti seiz from fingers and hands and wiped my face,smeared that crap on my face and dang near rubbed my cheek raw,trying to remove it,side of head was red as a beet...... :shock: :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda