65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

Another update.

First, driving to work last week at 0530 in the morning I lost high beams. What!? After a little investigation, it appears the sealed aftermarket housings let the H4's get a little hot . . . . Harness seems ok, but plan is to vent the housings to make sure we don't have any future issues.

On a different note, I've been teaching my oldest a little machining safety / how to here at home, so we've been coming up with little projects to give us something to build for practice. I picked up a few blocks of 6061 aluminum and we decided to make a shift knob. Our plan was to take some .44 casings and make a revolver cylinder knob . . . that way he learned a few more tricks - turning square to round, hole layout, etc. that we hadn't went over yet. Everyone might not be a fan, but we thought it came out pretty good. Ta-da!

All in all, having fun getting the old girl some mileage!

Thanks for looking -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cool I love homemade stuff especially when it is well done.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I like it !! cool....anything you do with your son or daughter is cool to POP !! I believe in doing stuff with your kids,,showing them how to stuff...
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I agree with Pop. I've never seen one,so that's another cool factor,plus it's just cool on it's own. :D
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Very cool Dan, especially the part about teaching your son.
tom
tomb's 65

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks fellas. I try my best to come up with ideas that'll keep these boys interested and off the electronics! Thanks for looking -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:Thanks fellas. I try my best to come up with ideas that'll keep these boys interested and off the electronics! Thanks for looking -

Dan
That is cool Dan.

Have you seen these videos of the young man building a car (and other things) I have to say he would be someone I would hire if looking for a worker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7r7unC ... vT10cain0i

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Another "update". :mrgreen: Everything seems to be getting dialed in fairly well finally. No real issues to speak of, so just putting miles on her.

On a side note, we (me, the wife and the 2 boys) have a Saturday morning Shoneys tradition. Was doing a little maintenance on the wife's CTS after breakfast, so drive the 65 around a little during the cool morning air . . . . Did I ask for the new Cha!!enger to pull up beside me and start revving like an idiot? Nope. But he was humbled surprisingly thoroughly :mrgreen: :mrgreen: not that I condone that sort of thing, but you gotta keep the soot blown out :mrgreen:

Weighing options of EFI next . . .

Dan

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

bigdan wrote: :mrgreen: . . . Did I ask for the new Cha!!enger to pull up beside me and start revving like an idiot? Nope. But he was humbled surprisingly thoroughly :mrgreen: :mrgreen: not that I condone that sort of thing, but you gotta keep the soot blown out :mrgreen:
Dan
just reading that feels good !! I condone that sort of thing. They need to be taught not to mess with vintage ford muscle. :lol:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SEE there stuff like that is what POP drives for..I love it !!….my trigger stays half cocked at all times,,ain't nuttin better then a DUKE OUT at a stop sign or red light,,even if it's just a low gear jump ,,,if GLENDA happens to be with me,she's always ready for that jump..then she'll look over at me and I'll say....well why not ??...so all OL POP can say is BIGDAN,,,keep your trigger well greased!!!! I love it ,,I pure D love it...…………..
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

In hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea with my 17 year old watching from the passenger seat and my 10 year old watching from the car behind me, but yep, it had to be done! Just glad he didn't get me . . . . :mrgreen: but I made good and sure. :wink:

Glad you fellas approve!

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

bigdan wrote:In hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea with my 17 year old watching from the passenger seat and my 10 year old watching from the car behind me, but yep, it had to be done! Just glad he didn't get me . . . . :mrgreen: but I made good and sure. :wink:

Glad you fellas approve!

Dan
way POP sees it ,you stood up for your right...and that was the right to leave 1st !! 8) :) pop
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So a little update.

It seems like as soon as I "finished" the 65, side projects just started rolling in. I had already started a new chassis/ drive train for that old red truck in my shop so I decided to build a chassis table. Then a pal needed a rear end rebuilt (94 cobra, we're giving it some attitude) and various other "improvements"so that got us pretty busy and currently takes up shop space. The kiddo crushed the front end of his truck (not a Ford) so had to round up a parts truck and blow through that also. To top it off, I fell a$$ backwards into a Clausing knee mill (3hp, 9x48) for the right price - free! Right place, right time. So the motor for that is out for bearings and I'm rebuilding the head. Then the M-I-L drove through the wall of my old two-car garage, now mommas gym, so that repair is in progress too - see? Busy busy.

But - the 65 :mrgreen:. She's doing outstanding. Other than the brake master issue, weather permitting I drop everything and hit the road with her every weekend. It's a hit everywhere it goes, so we're just racking up the miles having fun. I still have a few things left to do, though. Door rubbers aren't in yet. I'd also like to go ahead and change the springs out in the dizzy to get my timing all in sooner; it's still wearing the heavy springs from the factory. I initial bought 1.6 rockers to be a little conservative on the P-V clearances, but I had plenty of room so I'd like to go ahead and step up to 1.7's. Of course, that'll probably need new pushrods too, so that'll be a winter project. And, I've just about convinced myself to go ahead and bite the bullet on that MSD Atomic EFI also. Another winter project, though.

So, we'll just keep pounding the pavement till it's time to tweak a little this winter!

Thanks for looking -

Dan

Yes, it looks bad. But this was unload day. It sat in the back of a shop never used and just collected dirt after someone tried to force the feed lever with it off and broke the gear carrier. Easy fix.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Thanks for the update. I have dumb things like mowing grass, working on house projects and like keeping me from doing the stuff I want to on the Comet :P :lol:

Good catch on the mill, I always say someday I will get some machining equipment but I don't think that will ever happen, it has been so long since I did any machine work I have probably totally forgotten everything I learned :roll: I do know it is one of my favorite things to do because I like making my own stuff (everyone may have missed that :P )

Glad to hear the Falcon is getting love still you deserve to enjoy it after all the work that went into it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Busy, busy, busy!! What do you do in your spare time? :lol: :lol: :roll:

Jim