4 door sleepers . . . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

4 door sleepers . . . . .

Post by bigdan »

So as I finish up my 65 Falcon, I find myself realizing the "limitations" of a car like it is - which is what was intended. It's loud, hateful, awesome! But, not very family- friendly. So . . . . .

Wheels are turning in my head, and here's what i'm debating. 4 door 64's and 65's are fairly easy to find in really nice shape, running and driving, pretty much original, at decent prices. Heck, one might not even need any real body work!

I'm studying on my factory bore, never been built Cleveland in the back room and thinking a warmed up Cleveland, AOD, 9 inch, maybe a M2 front end, lowered a little with factory looking steel wheels or hubcaps, original paint and interior colors, quiet exhaust with cut outs . . . . .

That way there's a little pep under the hood, but momma and everyone can ride, but under the radar. The 65 attracts a lot of attention . . .

Thoughts? Just brainstorming here. Can't have nothing going on!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

Lou's Comet

Re: 4 door sleepers . . . . .

Post by Lou's Comet »

Not a big fan of 4 doors, if I was to do a sleeper type ride I would look for a wagon. IMO the ultimate sleeper. And room for the whole family and a dog or two!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I agree with Lou on a wagon, but a sedan would be ok (not my choice, but might have to do with age)

Put it on air :P would really make the 4 door much cooler.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

Third for a wagon, they just have a cool factor too them
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I bought a 64 Galaxie 500 mordor last year that was just cherry and original, 289 three on the tree. I sold it and wish I'd kept it.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

and I have the perfect sleeper 1963 Fairlane 500 260 3spd 4dr,around 60,000 act mi,,I have it all 'cept the 260 motor...have had it since late 70 early 80,,body is perfect glass is also,,,or it was last time I walked up back at the old place and looked at it.I worked with org owner ,he retired turned around and passed away shortly after,,grd son took car and dogged it and the engine didn't last long...pulled it out and it just sat,,,that's where POP came into the pic,,gave it to me just to remove from yard,,,,they never brought me the title to it,,so it's just sittin has the most perfect grill and frt cap as well as body...not a dent in it,,,even the bumpers are nice,,,it's that green and white that was so popular back then,,,but I have so much on my plate now with my cobra and then me and son are going to redo my 65 swb trk,that I've had 30yrs ,I gave it to him..so a sleeper type build for me is way down the road,,,in fact it may not be in the same county,,,
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

What if you moved up to a later 2 door mid size car like a 67 Fairlane. The 351 would go into it real slick. I had a beautiful one and it had a lot more room in the back then my 65 Comet. Bench seats, AC and nice stereo. I think it's an awesome looking car too.
Tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

67 Fairlane 2drht is the best lookin ford ever built...I had one ,,sbf 4spd,,,,,just finished my comet,,guy came to my house,,wanted the Fairlane had a pocket full of money...I tried to get him to take the comet...he was dead set on the Fairlane,he paid the money, and drove it home,,,i would'nt've traded the Fairlane for 2 comets...the 67 Fairlane 2drht is by far my pick......pop
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I hear you guys on the wagons, but they get a little spendy $$ around here. I missed an opportunity on a 67 Galaxie 4 dr/390 back in the summer I should've jumped on. Immaculate interior, everything worked, around 30k miles. But, it was 4 hours away and gone before I could get there. Keeping my eyes open . . . . .

Dan

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Pop, we're gonna have to argue. 66 or 67 Fairlane being the best looking? For some reason I like the tail lights on the 66 a little better. They (both) are the best looking Fords ever built in my opinion. From there on my favorites list would be 64 Galaxie 500 XL, Same in 63, and then the 61 Starliner.

I have to admit, I settled for the Cyclone. I was after a 66 Fairlaine S code at the time. The Fairlaine is still my favorite but I think the Cyclone gets more attention, people aren't sure what it is.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

And i'll throw it out that to me, the 65 Galaxie 2 door HT is my vote for best looking Ford . . . . Pretty fond of 69 Mustang fast backs and 32's, but I have kids! $$$

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

When I saw this Merc at the JY (previous posted picture) I thought what a cool car it would make, something you don't see everyday.

Most might not like it but what a boat.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I've had a 65 Gal fastback, beautiful car with featherlite power steering. I sold it to a 16 year old for his first car in the mid 80's. The very next car I restored was a 67 Cyclone and it too, was a kids first car.

I had 2 69 Merc's, Monterey's, a tudor and Mordor hardtops. Fine driving and riding automobiles.

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

Well if were gonna talk about favorite fords MY top 3 in order are 69 Fairlane 500 Fastback, 72 Gran Torino Fastback, 66 Comet Cyclone GT
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Lip Ripper wrote:Pop, we're gonna have to argue. 66 or 67 Fairlane being the best looking? For some reason I like the tail lights on the 66 a little better. They (both) are the best looking Fords ever built in my opinion. From there on my favorites list would be 64 Galaxie 500 XL, Same in 63, and then the 61 Starliner.

I have to admit, I settled for the Cyclone. I was after a 66 Fairlaine S code at the time. The Fairlaine is still my favorite but I think the Cyclone gets more attention, people aren't sure what it is.
I FORGOT GLENDA had one also,,a 67 2drht 390 factory 3 spd on the column....and I also had a 4dr 66 289 3spd,I didn't build these 2......but we sure built the 67 with the 4spd..I painted it wim white and used a 390 4spd ( still have the motor it was with..from a 68 torino GT))) behind a stout 302 4bbl headers,,grt car...wish I never sold it,,rather for buyer to have bought my comet at that time...but not now....pop
pop/glenda