Pop's Cobra build.

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
popscomet

Re: Pop's Cobra build.

Post by popscomet »

that's what I think it is !!! I had a tear drop scoop for years,,couldn't find it,,think my grd son took it and I never got it back...after RUSTY was done,,we were looking at it outside of shop,,GLENDA, came out and said ,it needs something on the hood !! we just happen to have that scoop in a pile of scrap metal out back,,so we dug it out and put it on,,that hood is just a spare that is not really in good shape,,I have the original for rusty that is as perfect as it can be,,we did not want to mess it up with the wrong scoop,,,so when we get around to it,,we WILL get the correct set up on rusty,,,that hood on my red comet was actualy bought for rusty,,,as rusty was started about 25 or so yrs ago,,,thanks for noticeing,,,,,,pop
pop/glenda

afx1964

Post by afx1964 »

Oh it’s GM for sure. I’ve built more than 30 Camaro's over the years with that same hood style. You just don’t see many “true blue” Ford guys use them.🤔

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

afx1964 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:25 pm
Oh it’s GM for sure. I’ve built more than 30 Camaro's over the years with that same hood style. You just don’t see many “true blue” Ford guys use them.🤔
It did come out of the scrap pile after all :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I ask my son tonight where that scoop came from,,POP didn't know,,,he said it was a HARWOOD SCOOP that my grd son bought brand new,,many yrs ago when he was just a kid for his ranger PU,,it was to long so he just put it away,,,it's better part of 18 or so yrs old,,that grd son is almost 32...my son bought that ranger for that boy when he was 13 yrso...like I said,,we needed something and that's all we had at the time,,,so it's on there and after looking at it so long..I bet it stays...we like it...it ain't worth changing..it is fiber glass...it is not a factory piece,,it's a knock off !!! pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

it appears this cobra right now will be running in a couple of days,,,start under it's own power and work,,,will drive it around the country block a few times and retighten a bolt or 2 and make sure frt end is right,,,put body on. hook up head ,tail lights..call insurance agent lady,,she will come to my shop and write it up ,pay her ,add to my comet and GLENDA'S 56 policy,go get tags and stick a fork in it,,IT'S DONE,,cept for final paint and carpet!!!! I bought it at 50 yrso in june of 98..I'll be 72 yrso on the 6th of may.....22 yrs later....it's time....done all the dirt track and drag raceing and huntin and campin and everything else I could think of.....while this cobra sat in the back of shop sucking up dust...I want to say that IF NOT FOR MY SON,DWAYNE IT WOULD NOT BE HERE !!! this just proves what I've always said on here...WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR CHILDREN WHEN THEY ARE 3FT TALL ,,SHOWS UP WHEN THEY GET 5/6 FT TALL...he comes out everynight as soon as he gets off of work and work is done on this cobra,,,he may stay 4/5 hrs and at times he left the next morning at daybreak....his mother has said since he was born,,,i;D NEVER BET AGAINST YOU 2,,,your joined at the hip !!!! thanks for attention this thread has gotten...good luck to all in all you do !!!!!! pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Cool Pops?
Wish I had a relationship with my son somewhere in the ballpark as close as you and Dwayne!
We only had that closeness on the Kart track racin and maybe for an hour after!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thank you very much,fred…..WE ARE CLOSE ,my daughter MANDY is 3 yrs younger then Dwayne,,for yrs it was us 3,GLENDA said she felt like an outsider...she always told me when I left the house alone,,,be careful and take care,,if you don't make it back home...I'll have to put these kids in a padded room,,,they'll go crazy without their daddy...of course today MANDY IS A GROWN woman with a son married way over 25 yrs and a heck of a career,so we are not as close,,,but that's life,,,she lives 1 mile from me..POP has been blessed ,,,,,,,,I always told them what ever you do and you need me,,,you may lie to everybody else,but don't lie to me,,,that way ,OLE dad knows how to fight for you....and if they get you,,your daddy will get you back !!
pop/glenda

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Pop, great to hear the Cobra is about ready to hit the roads! You are so correct on your thoughts about the kids and family matters, we are fortunate to have a very close relationship with our four. I do miss the times with the boys in the garage, but still have a few projects with them that need attending to. A late congrats on your anniversary, but an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY from the Sullivan clan! Be careful with that Cobra, snakes bite! :lol:
Take care, Cary and kin
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thanks CARY,,I keep forgetting you have another daughter besides the deer slayer,,ask her to overlook OLD POP when I say hello to y'all and don't mention her....WHEN you stand back and just take in this cobra sitting there on the lift,,,really this is a dangerous ride,,DWAYNE, said the other night,,,POP when you drive this damn thing,,you better be on guard at all times !!good thing for not a radio,,you don't need ANYTHING TO DISTRACK YOUR MIND !!!....tell all,,, you and the clan are on our minds and take care,,,,keep us posted on y'all's doings,,,,and the new hot rod.....leaving for town right now to get a new battery !!!!!! pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

got the new battery,,,tray calls for a 5,0 stang battery.....DURALAST 3YR,best they had in stock,,this mounts under trunk floor,in frt of fuel tank behind rear end ,,you have to install while under car,,,good thing we have a lift,,DWAYNE installed a set of jumper or charging post in trunk,,,in case there is ever a problem....boys ,it's getting closer and closer...... :shock: :D :D ....thanks ....POP
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

We might need another movie when the time comes.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

You know,,,I told Dwayne couple of wks ago,,either we need to find that go pro camra that was used for the race cars or I was going to another,and mount on roll bar....AFTER, I get use to shifting and driving it,,,I never have shifted the handle laying like it does in this cobra...bet there ain't nothing to it,,just different...at 1st !! I use to drive a INT harvester box bed truck that had a 5speed on the column,,,but I was a teenager early 20's...but a clutch doesn't bother me at all,,I prefer one most of the time.....pop
pop/glenda

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Pop, one daughter, Serena, the deer slayer. Three sons, two hardcore Ford. Kelly has a 64 Cyclone, a Raptor, and a 700hp 2016 Shelby F150. "Peps" has 64 Cyclone, and a Fusion. Son Shelby has a Raptor, 70 Challenger hemi convert, 71 Swinger 340 6pack. Yep, lots of time with boys in the garage. Serena will be working her way up to racing the drag 65 Cyclone. :shock: I am turning it over to her after I make one 9 second pass! I promise I will start a thread on that car soon. Hope you get a video of your first drive in the Cobra!
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL ,I sure thought you had 2 of each...I knew SERENA's name,,,but deer slayer is more catchy !! but now it all comes back to me….am all for turning the hot rod over to her....make your pass and hand it over to her....you'll have more fun watching her...I get more out of watching DWAYNE AND GRD SON CORY on the track then driving myself,,in fact we all 3 have been out there together...I'd find myself watching their battles and forget about my own.....hats off to all of y'all….pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Dwayne ,just went home,,,,drank a beer or 3,,,CHASE the grt grd son,, will go home tomorrow afternoon,,,then it will be full bore on starting the cobra Friday under it's own ….can't wait !!!! got a man due here at 5:15 pm to talk to us about some dozer work on this 5acres next to pop we bought last yr,,,,,,,we always have more hands in the fire then most,,,we never rest
pop/glenda