Pop's Cobra build.

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
frdpwr

Pop's Cobra build.

Post by frdpwr »

We dug the body out from the back corner Saturday night.
We dug the body out from the back corner Saturday night.
Body pic.jpg (191.99 KiB) Viewed 7834 times

Lip Ripper

Re: Pop's Cobra build.

Post by Lip Ripper »

What color and what driveline?
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

…….289 alumn HEADS,2x4's,trmec 5spd,,8.8LS 3.55 .MSD IGN have already had the frame blasted and powder coated in burgundy .outside plan is to have it silver met clear coat with burgundy stripe,,,black seats carpet dash cover (they came with the kit already black),,,I have the correct cobra whls…Glenda and I.went to a Lincoln mercury dealership and picked out the color many years ago.....I DID NOT WANT A red white or blue COBRA,nor a black one....thanks POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lovely! :D Lets get this party started!! :D That g grand son is at the perfect age for this build. it will be burned in his brain for life watching & helping this thing come together! Good starter pic too,cool! :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

the frame will be dug out soon and pic's of it will be posted,,I use the word DUG, loosely cause as many yrs as this thing has sat,it has been a catch all for everything....it just takes time,,,,for all those yrs we were so involved in dirt track raceing,this cobra sat...………..pop
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

So we hear all about this Cobra and get one picture?!

Just giving you grief, Pop. Can't wait to follow along.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

comethead

Post by comethead »

Very cool!
What kit is that? My buddy has been building a Factory Five cobra kit for 20 years :shock:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Like button hit. Silver is almost as good as chrome, my favorite color.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Very nice POP
Looking forward to seeing it put together.
Tom
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Hot Diggidy Dog! Let's get the show on the road! :D
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

comethead wrote:Very cool!
What kit is that? My buddy has been building a Factory Five cobra kit for 20 years :shock:
this is also a factory five,,have had it since sept 98....sitten waiting on it's turn to be built..
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

we'll get better with the pic's hopefully....we ain't never been much on PIC's,,need to get better at taking more of them,true e'nuff !!………..pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

this grt grd son goes back to his mother this afternoon,,he's been here a week...when he's here,not much in the shop gets done.We spend all the time in the shop mainly with him..he may be my grt but he's my only son's DWAYNE (frdpwr on here )))grd son,and last night Dwayne had this little rascal right in the middle of changing oil in his GT mustang,,oil was everywhere,,Dwayne had the car up on the lift and had CHASE standing on a stool next to him,,the drain plug was barely still in ,CHASE REACHED over to finish un screwing it...as soon as that warm oil hit that boy's hand ,he jerked it back and slung oil all over hisself and Dwayne got in his hair,,,we laughed ,chase started talking like a new York cheap court appointed lawer,we cleaned the floor and cleaned this little rascal up,,soap and water does wonders....life memories...…...decided to go on a date tonight with GLENDA,,SO The cobra frame will get dug out 'morrow night....maybe a few more pic's...I keep saying frame but it's a roller,it ain't like we got to carry it......thru out the yrs ,there has been some hrs already put into it,when I ordered this thing ,I ask for the dash plate to come without gauge speedo holes etc ,,,told factory I want to put gauges and such where I want them ,,,not where they do,,,so we have been looking at pics of real cobras and other cobra kit cars at gauge location, and I do not want many gauges and switches and buttons,,I want everything plum asssssss simple.....and my steering whl will be on a quick dis-connect hub,,,like a race car,,,,beside's if it can't be steered might not be as easy to steal,,while POP is inside Wal-Mart :shock: 8) :wink: thanks,,more interesting news to come..... :roll: POP(my thread,yours or his..who cares :!:
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

popscomet wrote:
comethead wrote:Very cool!
this is also a factory five,,have had it since sept 98....sitten waiting on it's turn to be built..
Hey Pop I just had my kids helping me adjust the clutch on my Falcon :lol: Push the pedal again! Hold it! Ok let it out! :lol:
I’m a one man show so when I need help they come out in force!

My buddy bought his Factory Five kit around the same time. 98 or 99 can’t remember. He has a stroked 351W (427ci), Tremec TKO 5 speed and a Thunderbird 8.8 IRS. It’s still in a thousand pieces.
He’s a Pontiac guy so not sure what he was thinking :lol:
I’ll probably end up buying the whole mess from him !!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JOE, those kids won't never forget they helped ,,,that's why I have always said....what you do with your kids when they are 3ft tall shows up again after they get 5/6 ft tall.....jump on that cobra if given a chance,,,,at least he didn't cram an off breed engine in there....I know a guy who owns a paint/body shop and does great work,,,few yrs ago he came up with a cobra body,not a F five,,it was a cheap-o,,and he put a BBc in it,beautiful paint job and inter,,but it never went over with most of us,mainly me and I told him so,,and not many wanted it..in fact the 1st time I walked up to it,he stopped me and ask my name,I told him and he said I've heard of you for yrs,I thought you were who I thought you are,,,,he then said I'm about half ready for your reponse when you look under the hood.....I just shook my head and told him it'll never be really worth a plug nickle,unless you happen to find someone like you that has bad brain fade,,,,,,,,sometime later he came very sick with a brain tumor...that bothered me for awhile afterwards for making fun of his brain.....as I get older,am learning to keep my FORD opinion to myself....
pop/glenda