1963 falcon convertible

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
rolling@classic

1963 falcon convertible

Post by rolling@classic »

Hi:

I'm restoring a 1963 falcon 6 cylinder convertible, that I'm converting to a 1965 comet power steering v8 5 lug front end and 1963 falcon v8 rear end. The problem that I'm having is, there is no 2 holes in the frame rail to bolt the Power Steering Slave Cylinder bracket to the frame with the frame rail Compression Nuts. The convertible torque boxes are a little bit different, that runs into the frame rail where the Power Steering Slave Cylinder brackets bolts into. It won't let me mount the bracket flush to the frame rail without hitting some part of the bottom of the edge of the torque box. Also it won't let sit flat on the under side of the frame rail like 1963 falcon hardtops do. I hope someone have ran into this problem on there 1963 falcon or comet convertible and has a fix for it, would like to have power steering on my convert.

thanks rolling

Groover

Re: 1963 falcon convertible

Post by Groover »

I'm not exactly sure what you're up against on a 63 but here are some photos from a 64 and how I ended up solving it. Mine already had PS, but the crush nuts worked their way out and the holes were rusty. So I welded a whole new plate on the bottom with the steel nuts welded on the back. If you can post a photo we may be able to offer more advice.

https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... &start=420
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

rolling@classic

Post by rolling@classic »

The convertible torque boxes are a little bit different, that runs into the frame rail where the Power Steering Slave Cylinder brackets bolts into.
Hard to mount a bracket where the slope of the frame is,. different than the hardtop frame rail to mount the Power Steering Slave Cylinder bracket.
There is no holes to mount the bracket expected the side bolt.

Attachments
63 falcon steering. 2.jpg
63 falcon steering. 2.jpg (187.32 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
63 falcon steering.jpg
63 falcon steering.jpg (179.81 KiB) Viewed 1254 times

Groover

Post by Groover »

Got it. Looks like by 64 they shortened that extension tab (either by design or to make room for the PS bracket). I didn't have that problem. Maybe we can get somebody here with a 63 convertible with PS to post a photo or describe how it looks? Somebody will step in eventually.

If not, I'm sure you could notch that support out as long as you welded it all together (weld the bracket in place instead of bolt it in). Would take some thought, but would be super strong and become part of the support. From personal experience, I would not recommend regular crush nuts like the factory install. Old steel with a little rust is going to flex there. Ours looked good at the start, but within a couple of years that ram was flexing back and forth and finally ripped out (as you can see from the photos in my thread).
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...