1963 falcon convertible converting to a 1994 Ho302 with T-5 trans conversion

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
rolling@classic

1963 falcon convertible converting to a 1994 Ho302 with T-5 trans conversion

Post by rolling@classic »

302  1 motor.jpg
302 1 motor.jpg (232.66 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Hi:

I have a 1994 Ho302 motor and a T-5 transmission out of a 5.0 mustang, that I'm putting in a 1963 ford falcon convertible. I have to change the timing chain cover (fuel pump), the oil pan,oil pan pickup,intake manifold, distributor to convert it to a carburetor gas engine instead of a efi motor. I don't know if I can run the eaton power steering from the 1965 falcon stock front end that I have to the stock power steering pump off the 1994 mustang 302 engine since the mustang has reverse rotation Water pump. I hope I can still run the serpentine belt system, do you see any other problems that I may run into? I am buying the tail shaft for falcon and juice clutch kit from modern driveline for the T-5 transmission conversion . Can I run the stock exhaust headers from the 94 mustang 302, in my 63 falcon with power steering without any problem? Does anybody have any other suggestion, on any problems, that I might run into?

thanks rollin

Jims65cyclone

Re: 1963 falcon convertible converting to a 1994 Ho302 with T-5 trans conversion

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Not sure how you snuck in under my radar, but I missed you when you first signed on. So....welcome aboard! :D I'm not sure I can be of much use in answering your questions, but I'm interested in what issues you may come across in your T-5 conversion. I plan to change my T-10 over to a T-5, so I'm interested in mitigating as many surprises as possible in advance. I hope you'll start a build thread on your project so we can all follow along.

Jim

redhotcomet

Re: 1963 falcon convertible converting to a 1994 Ho302 with T-5 trans conversion

Post by redhotcomet »

Highly doubtful the 94 headers will work. I'm using Hedman 88400 shorties in my 64, pretty tight fit especially on the drivers side. Not sure how different the engine bay in a 63 is.

As for power steering, I imagine the 94 pump will work, rotation direction doesn't matter, it will just be a matter of whether it puts out an appropriate pressure. You may just have to try it and find out.

Are you planning on keeping the AC and does the 94 have a smog pump? If you eliminate pulleys you'll either have to play with the belt routing to get adequate wrap on the remaining pullies, or buy eliminator idler pullies to use in place.

Good luck on the swap and keep us updated!
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"