351 Cleveland fuel pump eccentric

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
mopar 346

351 Cleveland fuel pump eccentric

Post by mopar 346 »

Good afternoon all,

After getting back from the Gathering I have to think about the real world again and the Cleveland sitting in the shop. I determined that it was missing the fuel pump eccentric and since I was replacing the water pump I went ahead and pulled it down and I was correct. Now my challenge is finding one since I don't have a bunch of extra Cleveland parts. Will one off of a 302 work or any other engine for that matter?

Thanks in advance, Kevin
Careful your character's showing!

lavron
Site Admin

Re: 351 Cleveland fuel pump eccentric

Post by lavron »

mopar 346 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:29 pm
Good afternoon all,

After getting back from the Gathering I have to think about the real world again and the Cleveland sitting in the shop. I determined that it was missing the fuel pump eccentric and since I was replacing the water pump I went ahead and pulled it down and I was correct. Now my challenge is finding one since I don't have a bunch of extra Cleveland parts. Will one off of a 302 work or any other engine for that matter?

Thanks in advance, Kevin
I probably never have a bent 8 but I would like to know the answer to this because you never know what my future holds My dad always had to have Clevor V8s and I bet I left one sitting in his shed when I sold his place :( I will keep telling myself it was not to make me feel better :?You have to know I am a hard core I6 guy to let 2 V8s go ( the police interceptor and the possible Clevland :?
More for everyone else :?
I am so enamored with my 250 I6 that it might be embarrasing at times :oops: actually I like my Comet more now than the day I bought it and that is saying a lot 8)
I have an itch to drive that car again :twisted:
Maybe no one will be as impressed by it as me but I dont care My happiness is not based on others approval Because I can't help if someone else dosen't look at things the same as me, that is what makes all unique some of us are just a little more unique than other and are ok embracing our eccentricities I dont have a need to fit in, I own a Mercury Comet
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I punched it into google and cj pony parts came up listing one that fit 289-351C so maybe they are the same.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:18 pm
I punched it into google and cj pony parts came up listing one that fit 289-351C so maybe they are the same.
Caught the same thing, Fred but read depends on cam bolt diameter. I'm betting the 351M/400 eccentric is the same but not certain.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Thank you Fred, I saw that as well but it appeared to be a kit of some sort that has a 2 piece eccentric. From some reading it appears there are 2 different depths eccentric that interchange between engines with the same one but I couldn't find anything that was clear on which engines used which depth. My hope was someone on here might know, my only other Ford friend is a pure Cleveland guy. :D

Thanks for all the input.

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

After more reading I think I am starting to put the picture together but I'd really like confirmation from someone who knows. It appears there are 2 types of eccentrics, a 1 piece which might be an early and a 2 piece that might be a late. The 1 piece is thicker than the 2 piece, maybe 1/8 thicker. It appears from my reading that the 2 piece can be used and can even be spaced for cam clearance. The cam clearance may be needed due to clear the cam gear surface due to some cam gears being thicker than the originals, especially on double rollers. If the gear doesn't have the machined recess around the bolt surface it will clamp the out ring of the 2 piece and not allow it to spin freely as designed, the 1 piece will actually contact the timing cover and not have the correct pin to hold it in place on the cam gear. Should like the 2 piece is the way to go to start with, I'll report back what I find and hopefully have a resolution should the question come up again.

Please confirm or refute my thinking if you can.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Have you watched this vid?
https://youtu.be/PS24UIJL3dk
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

I had not but now I have, it's a 2 piece. Thank you for the link.

My hunch was right, I ran down to a little boneyard time forgot this afternoon and went into the engine shed and there was a 351m/400 with the water pump off of it and sitting on the trans end. I removed the remaining bolts, pried the timing cover loose from the block and was able to twist it enough around the balancer to expose the gear and bolt and it was the 2 piece I wanted to try. Brought it home, cleaned it up, bolted it up and checked for clearance by using a straight edge across the block timing cover mounting flanges. It has 3/16-1/4 inch clearance so I think I'm good. I'll assemble it and bust it off tomorrow but I cant image there will be a pumping issue.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

All 3 of my 70's 302's plus a few in the past had 2 pc. when I got a double roller kit comp said I needed a 1 pc . & they used different length dowel pins. the one pc sticks out more I think ,& with the wrong gear set or t cover can contact the timing cover. a friend of mine ran in to that. so measure everything !!! I think I have one ,a 2pc 3o2 on the shelf if you should need me to measure it.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

mopar 346 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:38 pm
My hunch was right, I ran down to a little boneyard time forgot this afternoon and went into the engine shed and there was a 351m/400 with the water pump off of it and sitting on the trans end. I removed the remaining bolts, pried the timing cover loose from the block and was able to twist it enough around the balancer to expose the gear and bolt and it was the 2 piece I wanted to try. Brought it home, cleaned it up, bolted it up and checked for clearance by using a straight edge across the block timing cover mounting flanges. It has 3/16-1/4 inch clearance so I think I'm good. I'll assemble it and bust it off tomorrow but I cant image there will be a pumping issue.
Shouldn't be an issue. 351M/400, nothing but a high-deck Cleveland. Helping my son build a strong one for his Bronco later this year if he gets the time. Looking forward to it, like old times. Let 'er rip!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

AND just by chance you find your dowl pin is just a tad to SHORT,,,drop the right size steel ball bearing in 1st..then pin and bolt it all up....will run forever no problems,,,,an old ford hot rodder showed me that little trick many yrs ago,,and I have been there and done that !! pop
pop/glenda

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Put a new pump on today and it pumped properly and ran fine for a short test drive. I have a few other things to work out and then a fun test drive.

So for conclusion, the 2 piece sourced from a 351M/400 works on a Cleveland with a double roller with 3/16 to 1/4 inch clearance on the timing cover.

Thanks for all the input!