BUILT BY COMMITTEE THE V8 BUDGET BUILDJUST AN EXERCISE IF ONE WAS TO PUT TOGETHER A SMALLBLOCK TO MAKE GOODB POWER BUT S

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
lavron
Site Admin

BUILT BY COMMITTEE THE V8 BUDGET BUILDJUST AN EXERCISE IF ONE WAS TO PUT TOGETHER A SMALLBLOCK TO MAKE GOODB POWER BUT S

Post by lavron »

:lol: Keeping it small block will help to not be having to cut a lot out to get it to fit, not a-posed to doing M2 in car but later model shoul really not need it mostly interested in drivetrain and do you go slushbox or stick maybe AOD Have at it guys and let’s see what you got of course it needs to be a driveYOUNDONT GET MUCH MONEY IN FACT I AM INTERESTED IN HOW LOW YOU CAN GO I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO BE HOLLERING FOR AN AMOUNT SO SEE IF YOU CAN BEAT MY 250 BUDGET THAT WAS BOUT 4
2 INCLUDING ALL THE SUSPENSION ANA BRAKES AIRRIDE AND M2 INSTALL MOST OF MY MONEY WENT TO THE MY MONEY WENT TO THE MACHINIST 41200 for machine workapprox 600 for the head and 200024$6006 FOR THE BLOCK I GUI CAN GIVE YOU A LITTLE MORE IF YOU GUYS ARE NOT UP TO THE CHALLENGEEVENTHOUGH I SPENT APPROX $2000 MYBUILD I WILL LET YOU HAVE A BIT MORE BECAUSE YOU ARE MAKING ME MORE POWER LAST REQUIREMNT KEEP ELECTRONIC COMPUTER CONTROLLED ITEMS TO A MINIMAL IF YOU CANNEEDS TO BE EASY TO FIX ON THE SIDE O F THE ROAD WITH MINIMAL PARTS AND TOOLS OF COURSE YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO BUILD A RELIABLE PLATFORM THAT WONT BREAKDOWN :lol:if it is not clear my build cost about$ 25000r less you know what I got heavily modified 250 full of rare motor parts and a bit more machine work thanI wanted but glad I did fully balancedetcI really I am a budget type guy 8)MY ‘64 BUILD THE MOST FUN I EVER HAD SPENDING $2000 :lol: but I have been collecting and refurbishing less than perfect parts for a long time and hunting bargains like a good T5for $200 mostly this is a hobby and I enjoy doing something without sinking a bunch of cash into it mostly because I have something to prove. You don’t need $10000to have fun le than $3000 + a car I think my choice of a late model Maverick platform helps check a lot of boxes and I have wanted aCometG T for a long time even if they are made of tinfoil they can’t weigh as much as th’64 I know when I was pulling the 250 in the. Junkyard the fenders would bend when I leaned on them but I was able to lift the hood right off the car :roll: :lol: hopefully one day I will be up to another Comet and can be looking in the mean time for a good cheap solid car I can’t imagine later models being pricey as 60s models even though a ‘66-67 wagon might be a choice it always going to be crippled up and might get bored especially if I get a nice shop set up you guys are supposed to be putting there ashoppings list here in case I run across any bargains over the years what transmission would a Maverick came with? A C4?and really don’t mind the idea ofAODI like scertainly if there are resealable parts off of the original. Car they are fair game to sell to make some money back a T5 is fine butI hate to throw this wrench this wrench in there I am thinking of the 56k mile V6 from the red truck with some sort o supercharger instead of V8 I already have the engine and trsI already have an engine and transmission with computer matched no machine work should be needed and I could budget more for a nicer car plus I never messed with supercharging before might be fun I know this was supposed to be my V8 project but I say you use what you have for a really low budget tell me what you what you think and am I lettting you all down?
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Re: BUILT BY COMMITTEE THE V8 BUDGET BUILDJUST AN EXERCISE IF ONE WAS TO PUT TOGETHER A SMALLBLOCK TO MAKE GOODB POWER B

Post by Joe Travers »

Cheapest route, IMO is a 5.0L roller engine. Plenty of them out there to find a good one. They'll make 300 hp with minimal upgrades, 400 hp with a good pair of aftermarket heads. You already have the Fox Mustang T-5 and 8.8 differential. Bolts right up.

Joey T5 is fine but I already have a fully manual ‘64 I LIKE WHAT I have seen so far and you all know it is a long ways off if ever type of project until. Some things happen like I get moved and welleverything posted here may help someon build aV8 that doesn’t have something else they can drop right in already sitting there most definitely not going to settle for less than a good 73 Comet G T if I go this route more car budget-no rust or body damage to deal with just paint it if it is not red already :lol: then just a good polishing

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Re: BUILT BY COMMITTEE THE V8 BUDGET BUILDJUST AN EXERCISE IF ONE WAS TO PUT TOGETHER A SMALLBLOCK TO MAKE GOODB POWER B

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'm no help. I'm po & tight but I get power hungry & cant stick to a budget :roll: ,I just wait longer & save up enough to get better goodies. :twisted:
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

The only carbs in my yard are on my 80s John Deere lawn mower. Oh ya and motorcycle. There's a dual point distributor on my 351C under the bench since 02 and built in '71( ya heads never been off it!) so Im not much intoold school. I like a motor thats running in something, swap it in bolt some hp goodies on and have fun with it. I picked up my beater '89 F150 for $1000 it has a 5.0 and standard trans so my toploader would bolt up, spose a person could go backwards to a set points and carb,,,,, but why?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:09 am
The only carbs in my yard are on my 80s John Deere lawn mower. Oh ya and motorcycle. There's a dual point distributor on my 351C under the bench since 02 and built in '71( ya heads never been off it!) so Im not much intoold school. I like a motor thats running in something, swap it in bolt some hp goodies on and have fun with it. I picked up my beater '89 F150 for $1000 it has a 5.0 and standard trans so my toploader would bolt up, spose a person could go backwards to a set points and carb,,,,, but why?
Fred
really want this one to be automagicI have a all manual car already I am unable to drive even though I know it will one day be my choice car it will be nice having options depending on how I feel on a given day and where I am going might be just a quick trip for groceries

You guys are building so pick what what you would you all know I am running a DS1 Distributor tied too some dark sideICM acoilso I cam oil under my dash my front brakes are dark side as wellmostly that was determined by the front spindles common on M2 stuff I couldn’t afford Wilwood stuff and you can get GM brake shoes almost anywhereI have already had to replace 1 GM 4pinn ICM before the car even saw the road but Oreillys replaced it for free And I put a DUI $60 so I am not to tat ally out on enecrtrit is a time I can plan ahead for failure but maybe theDUI UNIT WILL LAST YOU CAN GET THEM WITH THINGS LIKE READJUSTABLE REV LIMITERS ETC. BUT I FIGURED FOR MIY 250 JUSST A BETTER UNIT WOULD SUFFIC I KNOW I HAD TO RESET the timing with the DUI model and it helps it start easierMY TIMING AFTEER INSTALLING ITAND THE CAR STARTED EASIERI STILL HAVE A COUPLE OF SPARE $14 ICM UNITS JUST IN CASE my whole ignition system just stops not much testing was running and just stops GM parts are to blame my firstexperience with ICM failureI eI was driving th GM e company truckdown some deserted road down the road wa super cheap but then again I shopped around and had to repair an NOS distributor but no points to worry about and super easy to get parts for anyone is going to have there has been a r :lol:before cell phones thank goodness for short wave radios amazingly enough I was rescued and either my dad who worked there too or my boss brought me some models to get me back home instead of grumbling about GM junk beside the road I guess they would of come looking for me eventually but better in the day than a few days later :lol: I guess I should of learned a lesson they make them easy to change at least that should b a clue as to design failure and Iput mine under the dash on a slide our aluminum tray where it can stay cool they say heat is one of the biggest things to kill module not driving the car seems to work
Mike's build thread

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:09 am
I picked up my beater '89 F150 for $1000 it has a 5.0 and standard trans so my toploader would bolt up, spose a person could go backwards to a set points and carb,,,,, but why?
Good deal on the pickup, Fred. There are plenty of 5.0L running engines out there that make more power stock than the old mills. Here's a cheap build using stock heads that make same power as Shelby 289-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7B3Str ... rdHoldener

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Joe I bought the 1/2 ton to use the truck.
I have no interest in going to a V8 at this point,, been there done that.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:00 pm
Joe I bought the 1/2 ton to use the truck.
I have no interest in going to a V8 at this point,, been there done that.
Nah....link is for Mikey, Fred. :wink:
Anybody run a Cleveland in a Comet been there, ya :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:12 am
I'm no help. I'm po & tight but I get power hungry & cant stick to a budget :roll: ,I just wait longer & save up enough to get better goodies. :twisted:
Budget budget for the guy who is itching to go on it but I think we know to build a true budget build takes time to find bargains to make it cheaper-run you bought your Comet over 50 years aago :lol: I think a late model would be a cool buildI always say pre ‘74 because that is when the government decided to mandate giant clunky bumpersComet GT is my choice but a Maverick grabber would work but thi is a Comet site after all pretty sure no wagons even though there was a Pinto wagon in those years with a weird little bubble window on the. Back I think a 2dr Gt is what I would wait to find maybe in red :lol: but I would probably paint one like the ‘64 so they would be a set :lol:you think Fred would let me on the red Comet calendar even if it was a ‘73?
Mike's build thread