ignition......

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
rjones35

ignition......

Post by rjones35 »

So I got the small diameter distributor, a Mallory Unilite. Now the question is - I want to run a Mallory box and coil, and to be honest its been so long since Ive messed with any kind of aftermarket ignitions, I'm not sure which one to go with?? Ive looked at their site and just get kinda confused. It use to be when you ran a By fire box with a unilite you didn't have to worry about the ballast resistor. Now reading some of the Mallory instructions, they tell you to run one. Of course different forums say different things, some say you have to, some say you don't. Anybody have experience with the current Mallory stuff?

Lou's Comet

Re: ignition......

Post by Lou's Comet »

rjones35 wrote:So I got the small diameter distributor, a Mallory Unilite. Now the question is - I want to run a Mallory box and coil, and to be honest its been so long since Ive messed with any kind of aftermarket ignitions, I'm not sure which one to go with?? Ive looked at their site and just get kinda confused. It use to be when you ran a By fire box with a unilite you didn't have to worry about the ballast resistor. Now reading some of the Mallory instructions, they tell you to run one. Of course different forums say different things, some say you have to, some say you don't. Anybody have experience with the current Mallory stuff?
I run a Unilite in my boat, I don't have a box so I run a ballast resistor. If you are going to run a box don't think you need a ballast resistor. They show one in their instruction diagrams for box applications ( figures 3 and 4) but the have this written under the diagrams.

"Installing an ignition ballast
resistor has no effect on the performance of the ignition system. However, installing or retaining
the original ignition ballast resistor allows for easy conversion back to standard ignition."

Where as they say Failure will occur without a ballast resister or resistance wire under figures 1 and 2 where just a coil and no box.

Instructions
http://prestoliteperformance.com/media/ ... _45_47.pdf

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

Unilite and balance resistor. No box needed with a unilite, it's all in the unit. I did not use a ballast resistor and fried the pickup in the unit after about a year. Get one of these and you'll be fine...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-7 ... d4FYAHQuce

Comet Bruce

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Yep you're right Bruce, I don't have to have a box. So I ordered a Mallory coil with the resistor built in. Supposed to take care of the voltage thing. It'll be running soon!! Thanks!

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

What I see on the presolite site it only needs a ballast for the coil. The dist works with or without a ballast.
Ron