Carb and kickdown Question

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Ojohnny

Carb and kickdown Question

Post by Ojohnny »

Have not posted much in awhile with moving, working and going to school. Just been a lurking when i get a chance but hope you guys can help me out with some advice. I was able to pick up a new Holley 670 Street Avenger for next to nothing and would like to use it with an Edelbrock 289 performer that BHix gave me a few years back. I'm starting wonder if this will work or not. Both are squarebore so i'm good there but the manual that came with the carb says it is to be used with a GM overdrive transmission, it is not designed to work with any other overdrive transmission.

Pertty sure my 66 has MercOmatic? Not to sure if it has Kickdown or not. There is a cable attched to the bottom of the throttle pedal that runs to the tranny but I don't see any linkage hooked to the current 2 barrel on it. Any help from the old wise men on here would be appreciated.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Carb and kickdown Question

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The factory carburator linkage with the arm facing down should have a cable linkage to the transmission,that is your kickdown.You DO NOT need anything attached to the carurator except the throttle arm.Been There,Done That,on many late 60s Mercury/Ford cars!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Ojohnny

Post by Ojohnny »

So I'm good to go then right? At the moment when I stomp on the go pedal it seems to downshift on it own. Thanks Roy.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

John;that is how my 67 and my 68 were setup!I put four barrels on both,only had to make small adjustments to the cab linkage!! ROY.

Ojohnny

Post by Ojohnny »

GREAT! Going to order fuel inlet line and new set of intake manifold bolts from Jegs tonight, Brad hooked me up with some new gaskets as well. 8)

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Where is that "LIKE' button!!! ROY.