289 hipo crankshaft in "C" code 289?

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
caliente65

289 hipo crankshaft in "C" code 289?

Post by caliente65 »

I'm begining to think that I have a hipo crank or something strange in my '65 c-code. The engine had never been taked apart before, the car has been in the family since new( grandfather owned the dealership)

When rebuilding the engine a few years ago, normal timing sets didnt fit-too much meat on the crankshaft. This is consistant with a hipo crankshaft. The good people at cloyles gave the machine shop measurments to machine down the normal sprocket. The balancer didnt say anything abnormal but it was done through the shop

Anyone else run into something like this? Maybe its not a hipo but some other different crank?

Darren
Darren
65 Caliente

caliente65

Post by caliente65 »

ok after doing some more researh, im even more confused. Aparantly the hipo cranks are the same. Mine still had more meat on the end and the sprocket needed to be cut on a lathe. Maybe its a 260 crank?

The machine shop and cloyles were perplexed. Cloyles called an old ex-employee and he said they hadn't seen a crank like that in over 10 years but kept the dimmensions of the needed sproket.

Anyone else have a similar expierence?
Darren
65 Caliente

4-2vcyclone
Comet Central Member

289 cranks

Post by 4-2vcyclone »

Check with Bob Mannel in the fairlane club, Ill bet he knows :idea:

thekarnut

hipo motor crankshaft on 289

Post by thekarnut »

Well, I believe the hipo crankshafts were Binell marked on the polished counterweight area, which indicated they picked a crankshaft with more Nodular (Nickle) content. Otherwise the crankshaft is the same and still just a cast unit. I understand that the block does have thicker main bearing caps made of higher nickle content. So if you can find the bigger caps and do whatever machine work for the main bolts necessary (if any) then the block is the same. As far as my simple knowledge goes, it looks like the real thing for the legendary 271 hp was really in the camshaft, non vacumm advance but softer sprung distributor (for the street stick with the non hipo distributor for better low end and gas mileage) headers, intake carb and solid lifters rattling thru those slightly bigger cast iron headers. Given what we have available today, Jegs or Summit will give you more for your money in headers,edlebrock carb/intake, pertronix ignition,Better air filter and better easy maintenance cam/lifters matched to aforementioned. Well.....there I go again...more than you wanted and most of it worth just what you paid for it.
gb
keith in seattle.
faster than a speeding tbolt

rbohm

Post by rbohm »

8) if the crank is marked 1M on the first counterweight, you have a 289 crank, which was also used in the 260 and the 221. the hipo cranks were tested and there should be a spot that has been machined and a dimple in the machined spot. the hipo 289 had a large balancer, and an add on counterweight behind the timing chain set. as to timing chain sets, there are thick sets and thin sets. they can be interchanged as long as you use a complete set, and you dont have the hipo counterweight.
64 falcon
66 falcon
66 mustang

a man's fate is a man's fate

and life is but an illusion

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Hey, I know you :!: Welcome, thanks for stopping by and helping out, I won't tell anyone that you are over here answering VeeEight questions :wink: :lol:

Glad to see Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

rbohm

Post by rbohm »

lavron wrote:Hey, I know you :!: Welcome, thanks for stopping by and helping out, I won't tell anyone that you are over here answering VeeEight questions :wink: :lol:

Glad to see Ya,
Mike
i think everyone at fordsix knows i also deal in V8's :D:D

you have a nice site here mike.
64 falcon
66 falcon
66 mustang

a man's fate is a man's fate

and life is but an illusion

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »