FiTech

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Boatmangc

FiTech

Post by Boatmangc »

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this.
I have the 289 4v in it now an dafter i figure out what transmision combo I'm going with the 347 goes in, it has a stout cam in it and I figure formeasy streetable driving EFI is the way for me.

Anyone have any experience with it?
1967 Caliente Hardtop Small Block
Factory A/C
Factory Front discs
Factory AM/FM

redhotcomet

Re: FiTech

Post by redhotcomet »

Its not the system you're looking at, but my dad just put an MSD atomic system on his 70 Torino 351C 4bbl. He said he hit the key and it fired right up and idled really well. I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like it runs good! EFI has really come a long ways and can be pretty user friendly.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

I put a basic FiTech (600 HP) system on Cosmic about a year and a half ago and still haven't got it tuned to where it is "user friendly". I was hoping that it was self learning, but doesn't appear to entirely be the case. I still need to pump the gas to get it to start, it runs rough off idle, and bogs at WOT. There are base settings that need to be entered into the system and some simple calibrations to adjust the throttle positioning sensor etc. In my case, I can't get the engine to run decent when I get anywhere near their recommended settings. Numerous calls to the helpline have not helped, and they are apparently overwhelmed with calls. You need to leave a message, and they might return your call in a day or two, not convenient while you are waiting with your head under the hood! I went with FiTech because of good reviews, competitive pricing, and wanted it to look like a polished carb. Personally, not happy. Take care! Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I would look @ the new Holley Sniper EFI setup!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Seem's like I read about larger cam's with low vacuum not working with the Fitech system.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Boatmangc

Post by Boatmangc »

Based on reviews between Summit, Jegs, and here as well as some buddies, I ordered it....
All brands (Holley, Fast. and FiTech have mixed reviews. Car Craft just did an article on the FiTech and raved about it.
Ordered the fuel system too, so The car is still in the air after the last 3 weeks projects so I guess next time she hits the ground the mods to test will be
3:80 Trac loc
SS brake lines all around
TCI deep transmission pan
TCI transmission cooler
Rear discs
17X7 fronts
18X8 rears
and EFI

I expect it'll feel a little different
Factory A/C
Factory Front discs
Factory AM/FM

StPro

Post by StPro »

I have a 78 F350 with a 460. It was the worst starting truck I ever had. Set the choke pump the gas crank it over until it fired then pump and crank more and play with it until it warmed up. I installed a fast EZ-EFI. During the install I puled the IGN switch to gain access to wiring when I put the switch back and was installing the tumbler I bumped the starter and the truck was running and i hadn't entered the tune parameters yet. Even when it is below Zero and the truck has been setting for months all I do is turn on the key so i hear the fuel pump and then crank and the truck runs. No more long warm ups to keep it running I love EFI.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Boatmangc

Post by Boatmangc »

STPro,
You should bring that Mark 8 to Atlanta 11/11 for the SSHS17 shootout!
I will be there with my CTSV wagon
4000lbs to qualify
SSHS17.com

I have been a sponsor for 10 years, back form my Mark8 and Marauder days
Factory A/C
Factory Front discs
Factory AM/FM

Boatmangc

Post by Boatmangc »

Got the system, pretty straightforward install.
Would be finished tomorrow BUT, imdecided to run the return into the tank drain. Went to pull the plug and with very little effort broke the brazing holding the drain bung.
I'm thinking I probably avoided a future leak, there wasn't much holding it in there

So I pulled the tank, going to try and braze the bung back on tomorrow, the tank is absolutely spotless inside.

Anyone else have this happen?
Tips?
Factory A/C
Factory Front discs
Factory AM/FM

StPro

Post by StPro »

Boatmangc wrote:STPro,
You should bring that Mark 8 to Atlanta 11/11 for the SSHS17 shootout!
I will be there with my CTSV wagon
4000lbs to qualify
SSHS17.com

I have been a sponsor for 10 years, back form my Mark8 and Marauder days
That does sound like fun. Most of my summer projects will be out of the way by then. I will have to start working on my tune in the car so it could be ready in November
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

66BlueGhost

Post by 66BlueGhost »

Hi Boatmangc and everyone else,

I just joined the forum today, and completed an installation of the Go Street 400 and FiTech frame mounted fuel pump on my 66 202 with a 289 on Monday. The engine would initially fire up and then die with a low battery. I charged the battery overnight and it fired right up yesterday. I adjusted AFR and idle a little bit (14.7:1 and 700 rpm) and then shut the engine off. When I tried to restart the engine immediately after shutdown, it would just fire once and shutoff. Once the water temperature went below 175, the engine started up. I'm going to play with it a little more this afternoon. From just idling, I am very impressed with the healthy throttle response and the robust sound through my Carven R mufflers. It sounds much stronger than with the Edelbrock 1405 installed.

I thought about using the drain plug in the forward right corner of the tank for a return line, but didn't. I instead cut my filler neck in three places, drilled a hole in the center piece, installed a bulkhead fitting, then pieced the tubing back together with filler neck hose and clamps. I plumbed the return through the original fuel line. I got the idea from the 2" Moroso filler neck return line kit I purchased that was too small. I'm leaking a little bit from the fitting, so if I can't get the leak to stop, I will get 90 degree tubing welded into that section.

From reading through various forums I'm finding that electrical connections, particularly the white wire to the key, are very important. I have also gathered that patience, research, and trial and error will be important to get this right.

Please post an update when you can.

66BlueGhost

Post by 66BlueGhost »

Further update on mine:

I was not getting voltage to the ECU during cranking, so I ran a wire directly
directly to the ECU (white wire on Go Street 400) from the battery through a
toggle switch - it fires right up now.

I also relocated the fuel pump from just in front of the driver's side rear
wheel well to right in front of the gas tank and behind the differential.
I used an aluminum bracket that I had made several years ago for something else
along with a 90 degree shelving bracket for extra support and bolted them through
the the trunk. The pump is much quieter now.

The Good: The engine fires right up with no pumping and I can zip down the road
. with no warm up. My gas mileage is up from 13 and lower mpg to almost
. 16 on today's fill up - can't wait for the AOD or T5.
The Bad: Fuel sloshes around when low and can cause stalling and weird fuel pump
. noise - I fill up at a quarter of a tank now like I should anyway. With a carb,
. I had a slight, almost unnoticeable surge at idle in park; now the surge is more
. noticeable because the ECU is constantly compensating to remedy the problem

I have started isolating vacuum line but haven't found a leak yet.

Give us an update when you get it going.

Boatmangc

Post by Boatmangc »

Hurricane Irma blasted my home on September 19. The whole project has been on hold. I got the EFI on prior to evacuating.
7 days before evacuating the Comet was on 4 jack stands, rear out, brake lines and rear brakes off and the fuel system gutted.
Needless to say I put things together in a manner not to my liking but good enough to get her on a trailer and didi Mao.
The car has been started about 6 times since last year.
I remodeled the house (again) sold it, sold my business and moved to Hiawassee Ga and bought a project house.
1st mod there was a 3 car garage so I have a little elbow room when I get to playing with my cars in earnest.
So far the GoTech has been good, I had to do some tweaking with AFR and idle too. and a small bump in timing by ear.
I still haven't done plugs, cap, rotor, points etc. The plugs were shot when I compression tested the motor before buying the car LOL.
This winter I hope to get time to put the 347 I bought in it.

BUT in reference to an earlier post I made in this thread I will be at SSHS18 November 10 at Atlanta Dragway with my fat Cadillac. I missed it last year due to the storm.
Factory A/C
Factory Front discs
Factory AM/FM

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Earlier I had posted here that i was not happy with my FiTech go-600. We finally had the time to dig deeper into the problems that I was experiencing and found that my electric system was not up to the task of powering my in-tank AFR fuel pump, the MSD6 box, and the Fitech brain box. The old Ford alternator was pumping only charging about 57 amps, so when I added the draw from the starter the voltage at the computer dropped to 9.5 volts, 10.5V required for it to hold it's memory. The wiring system had so many splices done over the years, and most done poorly, that it is amazing it never started on fire, as the terminals on the alternator were almost melted off.
So a new EZ-Wire 12 circuit system, larger cables, 100 amp one wire alt, major re-routing to shorten wire runs, etc. and will be re-evaluating the EFI soon. Glad everyone else is getting good results with their EFI conversions. Take care, Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

I fitted the MSD atomic on my 64 Merc truck, it has the paxton supercharger too & it runs real good, haven`t touched the settings, even pulling 2 cars it runs real nice, has a lot more low down power than with the carb, but as Cary found I had to upgrade my alternator too, I put a 100amp on as the 80 amp was not charging enough, I am running a return fuel system & have plenty of earth leads on everything. John
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero