Opinions on 289 heads with big valves

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
tntrash

Opinions on 289 heads with big valves

Post by tntrash »

Come across this ad on craigslist for 289 heads with big valves installed. He says they are 2.02 (chevy?) valves and the work was done by whites performance in Kingsport TN. He didn't have the work done so this is second hand info. Here is the ad:

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/pts/d/ ... 16323.html

Would these be good for my 68 302 and worth the work? 289 heads have smaller chambers than 302 heads? From what I have read the pistons would need notched for clearance. My engine is basically stock except intake, 4 brl and headers. I am interested in cam and heads and I like the price of these. Opinions appreciated!!

cbcafe

Re: Opinions on 289 heads with big valves

Post by cbcafe »

Those don’t look like the early small chamber heads. Get a casting number to determine chamber size. Your 68 heads are around 58 cc. If you are going to add a hotter camshaft, screw in studs would probably be a good idea.

tntrash

Re: Opinions on 289 heads with big valves

Post by tntrash »

cbcafe wrote:Those don’t look like the early small chamber heads. Get a casting number to determine chamber size. Your 68 heads are around 58 cc. If you are going to add a hotter camshaft, screw in studs would probably be a good idea.
Thanks for the reply. Picked up those heads yesterday. He had two sets of heads and was mixed up on which had what. Looked up the codes and these are 68 302 heads with 63cc chambers. The valves are 1.90 vs the 2.02 he told me. Looks to me like a bolt on deal since the heads should be the same as the stock ones that are on there.