Custom headers

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
1964hipo

Custom headers

Post by 1964hipo »

Does anybody know what the going rate is to have a custom set of headers made for a small block in a 64 might be?
Thanks
Mike

popscomet

Re: Custom headers

Post by popscomet »

MIKE,way back in the early 90's when me and son built my comet,son ran across an ad in a magazine,,it was for RED'S HEADERS..located about a 100 miles north of SAN FRANSISCO ,calf. I could not find any to fit my comet,,so I called red's ,he said well it's been several yrs since I built a set,,but I still remember how...had a couple of questions for me,,,2 wks later they arrived looked very nice so I trial fitted them,had to dimple one just alittle,,sent them off,had them coated,then bolted those TRI-Y'S on and have never been off the little 289 since....been so long ago best I can recall,they were in the 500$ dollar range,,I used to say I had as much in the complete exhaust as I did the 2x4 set up on it....don't know if they are still in business or not,,,POP's comet has been built for many yrs and still going strong,and those headers are still good....thank you...POP
pop/glenda

1964hipo

Post by 1964hipo »

Thanks pops! I ll try to track them down, ive got a set f hookers now, and i had to bend them quite a bit to get them To work, but thers no way theyll ever clear the bottom plate of the scattershield wich i had to leave off. So id like to finally get around to finishing the car off 100%, and thats one of many things left to address

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MIKE.I forgot about my other 64 comet....they are BBK,if you want to see them and read about them ..go to 64-65section and scroll down to almost bottom of page till you come to 64cometbuild by FRDPWR,,...MY son is out of pocket for a day or so,those headers were built for 5.0 stang,,I can't recall if it's a fox body or a 94 or up..1st chance I get I'll find out the correct year,,,in the article it should answer any questions you have concerning those headers.Hope this helps you more. good luck pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

check out page 3 and click on the video,,motor with headers on start up trailer,we had to notch the frame just a tad then welded back some metal to keep the strength
pop/glenda

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

switch to a Quick Time Bellhousing much smaller than a lakewood I just did one on my 65 Cyclone and only had to clearance a small section I run Hooker Super Competition Headers with 4spd.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

barrys65cyclone wrote:switch to a Quick Time Bellhousing much smaller than a lakewood I just did one on my 65 Cyclone and only had to clearance a small section I run Hooker Super Competition Headers with 4spd.
that's good to know,Barry...we wanted to use everything we had in the shop for so many yrs,,quicktime probably wasn't even around when we started gathering up for this build so many years ago..POP has had that ole comet at least 25 yrs ,those 40in whl tubs and rear end was put in way over 23 yrs ago.. then the car sat til dec 2017 then we finished it in time to take it to PF last year,,,,, 6mos of hard and steady work,,,,,,.thank you POP
pop/glenda