Cooling fan blade

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
jtgb428

Cooling fan blade

Post by jtgb428 »

I installed a new electric radiator cooling fan in front of the radiator on the grille side..I have an aluminum radiator that is new also..a friend of mine helped me with the installation..I went in the house to get a couple of sodas and when I came out I noticed he removed the steel fan blade that cools the radiator from the other side..I questioned him about this and he said it's not needed with this new setup..he is a big-time ford motorhead that is super knowledgeable..I still have my doubts about this..your feedback would be appreciated... Thanks, Jim...

vicegrip

Re: Cooling fan blade

Post by vicegrip »

Was it overheating before the new radiator and fan? In my opinion,pusher fans like you installed should only be used in extreme cases where there are clearance issues.They restrict the natural flow of air through the front and cooling is maintained by fan action only.Is this a race only thing or a street cruiser? If mostly the latter,I would stick with an engine driven fan if you have the room. A decent engine driven fan and shroud will out cool any electric setup which needs to include the battery and alternator amperage to handle it.In your case,leaving the steel fan blade on can only help cooling and the power robbing factor will be minimal.

jtgb428

Post by jtgb428 »

Thank you very much..

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I have not had an engine driven fan blade for over 10 years. I know guys that use pusher fans like yours and no engine fan. I use a dual blade puller. I put in on an old rad and worked good. When i put in an aluminum rad it works great. The aluminum rads work way better than any old 60s rad.
My suggestion would be to test it at a long idle, cruising and some heavy driving. My guess is it will work fine.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I also ran a 5 blade flex fan that I got from a 390 for years with a shroud. It worked great except for cooling in between rounds racing or idling on real hot days. Good luck
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

I always run a factory Ford steel 6 blade fan on mine, I have fitted a 16" electric in front that only comes on when it needs it, whenever I have taken the steel fan off even in winter the electric doesn`t seem to cool mine enough, mine is 13:1 comp & I sometimes rev it to 8500rpm on the track I have tried with & without it & havent found any difference in performance either, I run a 3 core copper brass radiator same size as 64 Fairlane, but I have just fitted what is basically a 67 mustang 390 radiator, but battery is now in the trunk & had to cut a bit but runs very cool. John
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

I have a Speedway aluminum radiator with a large pusher fan, no fan on the motor. It is controlled by the computer (Holley Terminator EFI) to come on at 200, off at 185. I am running a 190 thermostat. So far I have had to heating issues running the 460W, although in my area, ambient temps rarely reach 80's. Like Roger stated, try it under various driving conditions and see what works for your needs.
Take care, Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices